Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-20-2016, 5:17 PM Reply   
they seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

what gives?
Anyone know why they stopped selling?
Anyone use one?
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-20-2016, 5:49 PM Reply   
I'm curious as well. OJ did a great job marketing the 5 blade and they took off pretty well but only lasted a year or so. I tested a few Acme 5 blades just didn't quite do as well. I've been on a 4 blade for last 4 years or so
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-22-2016, 4:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
they seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

what gives?

Anyone know why they stopped selling?

Anyone use one?

I guess not.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-22-2016, 6:23 AM Reply   
perfect storm? They seemed to be geared toward giving a smoother pull and bringing rpms down right at the time that surfgate and other systems came out and everyone started stepping down to 15x12 props to get revs up and keep motors in the power band to push massive amounts of weight. 10 years ago, very very few people were pushing around 3000lbs, and now EVERYONE is.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2016, 7:08 AM Reply   
My friend tried a few 5 blade props. He said they all sucked.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       06-23-2016, 8:41 AM Reply   
I recently asked OJ about a custom 5 blade, but was told only 4 blade.

I wanted the 5-er to get a little more lift on the rear when not loaded to make up for the difference in having to drop to a 14" prop due to the gel burn from the factory installed 15" prop. The repair installs a steel plate which reduces clearance such that a 14.25 is the biggest that will clear with adequate room.

I would love to get a custom 5 blade in 14.25 diameter for my boat ...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-23-2016, 10:57 AM Reply   
I had one on my 2013 A20.

It was nice, in that it gave reasonably good low end, as well as high top end speed (I hit 48 with that prop, while outrunning a storm). However, it just didn't cut it for a heavily weighted boat. If you're only running moderate weight, it might work well for you.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-23-2016, 12:54 PM Reply   
I am struggling a bit picking a prop.
We have a T22, we run twin 450's rear, 650 front, wedge and stock ballast with 6.0 motor.
The boat needs a little bit more oomph out of the hole but I would rather not wakeboard at at almost 4000 rpms. The 1939 runs about 3300 once on plane. Pretty moderate weight.

Hence why I was looking into a 5 blade, but noticed that they seem to have been discontinued.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-26-2016, 10:57 AM Reply   
Never used one, but my guess is not enough reduction in slip to justify the added cost vs a 4 blade. If running heavy some extra slip when getting moving can help, like a torque converter in a car.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-28-2016, 8:28 AM Reply   
If you are limited to 13.5" diameter propellers like my 07 Enzo was the 5 blade is a great prop. Pulls out of the hole really well and ran a couple hundred rpm lower at cruising and wakesurf speeds compared to a 13.5x14.25 4 blade prop.

Last season I was testing 14" props on my 2014 Enzo and I'm tossed between an Acme 1847, 1279 4 blades and an Acme 14" diameter 5 blade. The 5 blade has the lowest rpm cruising speed and cavitates the least starting out.