Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (CC268)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-09-2016, 10:27 AM Reply   
Hey guys,

Thinking about picking up a good wakeboard and boots as I would prefer to have my own board and bindings that really fit me. I am a total beginner - I can clear the wake occasionally (heel side, toe side seems incredibly hard) and that is about it . Here is some info on me:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 185-190
Budget: $600 (this can be decreased or increased, but I figure that is a good starting point)

I really don't mind spending the cash on a good setup instead of purchasing a cheap combo. It is my understanding that I should be looking for something that is 140-144cm and continuous rocker. Any recommendations on a good board and bindings is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CC268; 07-09-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old     (CC268)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-13-2016, 9:07 AM Reply   
Anyone have any recommendations?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-13-2016, 9:39 AM Reply   
I like LF stuff. been good to me over the years. I've got Watsons on a Witness board. Solid setup.

Do you have any local shops where you can demo?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2016, 11:50 AM Reply   
There are so many great options. I love the O'Brien Decade and after trying it, three of my friends have bought them as well. It is an awesome board that is good for beginners and good for experts.

Here's a great deal on one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBrien-Decad...wAAOSw~OdVU-DE

I like Ronix bindings a lot. They are comfortable and hold up well to regular use. I like my bindings stiff so I prefer the Code 55:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ronix-2015-C...QAAOSwI-BWPmGi

If you like your bindings to be more flexible then I recommend the Ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ronix-2015-O...EAAOSwd0BV0Pcf

But this is just what Iprefer. There are lots of great options out there.
Old     (CC268)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-14-2016, 3:20 PM Reply   
So I'm really thinking about going with the hyperlite pro system bindings and then whatever close toe boots fit me best...not sure on the board yet...we got some good local shops around so I'm sure I can get some help there too
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-16-2016, 5:07 AM Reply   
I would really recommend the new Murray board. You can get it complete with ct boots in your budget and it's good for any riding level. I prefer the systems, and I think you'd love them too, but you may be hard pressed to get the new board and system setup for $600. Definitely doable though if you buy some NOS systems from last year since they are the same, just different colors.
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       07-19-2016, 5:30 AM Reply   
The LF Trip is a great beginner board that can easily handle progression to an intermediate /advanced rider. And it's cheap if you go evo.com outlet. Like 200 bucks cheap for the combo
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-19-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
Trip is a great board ^^
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-19-2016, 2:12 PM Reply   
Huge fan of SlingShot's products. If just riding boat the Whip or Windsor would be good for you. The RAD bindings are really comfortable and easy to get in and out of. A Murray like mentioned above would be another solid board for starting out. My recommendation though it try and find used stuff on eBay and Craigslist (www.searchtempest.com to search all CL ads within X number of miles of you). If you don't like it no big deal find another used setup, sell yours, and try something new. Being a beginner you probably won't notice too much of a difference in boards right now. As you progress some ride other people's boards until you find the type of rocker and length that seems to feel the best for you. Then drop coin on a new setup. Save that extra money now and get a used setup. Use the extra money for more gas or laps around the local cable park. You will get more out of your money that way. But that's just me and it's not my money being spent.