Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (DMeyersLT)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-21-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
Im looking at picking up a 2011 Range Rover HSE was wondering if anyone had any input on how well they tow a boat.
Old     (bspot5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
Make sure you do some research into that unit before you buy it. Go read the Range Rover forums and you will find they really like the repair shop.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-21-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Not sure about the Range Rover HSE...but yes have experience with the Range Rover Sport, LR3 & LR4s.

This bashing happened in the past to by a few people. U have no worries bc a 11' will be covered under warranty. I wouldnt buy one without a warranty bc of the cost of repairs, not so much b of frequency. Dont let some of these guys scare u away from it. I know more Chevys that have seen the shop then my Rover.

What size is ur boat?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-21-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
I started this post last year and many people said that you have to have an adapter for the lights cause it causes them to blink????? I guess the RR system is always sending a signal back to all tail lights to make sure they are working and that causes this. I am not sure if this is true or not. Others might chime back in. I have talked to others that tow with their Rovers and never heard of this.
Not sure who to believe as I have not done it yet, but I am looking for one too....
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-21-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
Yes....every trailer ive hooked up u will see that the trailer lights blink when the vehicle is turned off but still connected to the trailer.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-21-2012, 1:14 PM Reply   
LR3
So it works fine when it is driving down the road, but if you leave the trailer hooked up at the ramp it will blink? Is there an adapter or something that will stop that?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-21-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
LR3
So it works fine when it is driving down the road, but if you leave the trailer hooked up at the ramp it will blink? Is there an adapter or something that will stop that?
Correct....was told it happens when the trailers have LED lights. Everything works perfect when the car is on its just when u park it overnight leaving it connected. Happens to boat, utility & motorcycle trailers.

Not sure about an adapter. I just unplug the harness if leaving connector over night.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-21-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
I love how the guy that has a Range Rover model is his name is really the only person that has anything good to say about them...

Seriously though, they aren't rolling disasters like some make them out to be, but they are not the most reliable either. The big problem comes in with parts and labor costs, if you can get a good source for parts and do a lot of the work yourself they can be fairly inexpensive to own.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-21-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
I love how the guy that has a Range Rover model is his name is really the only person that has anything good to say about them...

Seriously though, they aren't rolling disasters like some make them out to be, but they are not the most reliable either. The big problem comes in with parts and labor costs, if you can get a good source for parts and do a lot of the work yourself they can be fairly inexpensive to own.

Most people buy a RR, spend $90k+ and sell it before the warranty expires or extend the warranty anyways so really there is no expensive repairs.

Im not saying theyre perfect by any means bc theyre not. If he was asking about a used one with high miles Id caution him.

Like you said parts are expensive & labor as well. Either have the warranty, do stuff yourself or find an indy shop.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-21-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
We just traded in an 05 LR3 with 120k on it. We bought it new. The only problem it ever had was the tranny went at 90K. I think due to leaving it in auto when towing. The car knows you're towing because a trailer light comes on in the dash, but it doesn't lock out the higher gears. The dealer recommended never letting it go into 5th and 6th gears when towing the boat. The dealer was actually amazed at our problem as Rovers are not known for tranny problems. I know the quality went up when Ford owned them but I think problems are still hit and miss with them. We considered an LR4 but ended up with Jeep Grand Cherokee, just to try something different after 7 years in the LR3.

As far as the flashing lights go ours flashed whenever the trailer was connected. I tried heavy resisters per an LR forum but that didn't work. There was an adapter I could've gotten, but it was a few hundred bucks so it was easier to just pull the plug when I got to the lake and tow with my headlights on. With the running lights on it was harder to see the pulsing lights. If I forgot to turn the headlights I would get people honking their horns at me screaming my flasher were on.

So tow with lights on and pull plug when not driving or buy the adapter. Just google the problem and you'll be able to find the adapter.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-21-2012, 6:14 PM Reply   
my sister had one for 2 years, i loved driving it, just in the shop more than usual, it was a 2010. Id buy one lol just because they are the best looking suv's out there