Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-10-2015, 2:05 PM Reply   
My '05 Centurion Elite still has the factory stereo and speakers. I know this may sound unbelievable but I really don't have a need for a thumpin' stereo. However, I do like to at least be able to hear it when cruising around the lake.

My must have features are: All-in-one head (no separate amps), decent FM tuner, some way to connect my iPhone, be able to drive 4 speakers, simple controls (I hate my current Sony deck for just that reason).

The speaker cutouts are 5.5".

Any suggestions?
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       05-10-2015, 3:33 PM Reply   
Honestly you'll get better sound and longer life out of the head unit if you run an amp, even if it's a small one. On my motorcycle I was running my speakers straight off the head unit, and at 35 I could barely hear my music with the stereo maxed out. At 55 is was useless. If I tried to turn the stereo up anymore it would begin clipping out. If you're just looking to listen to music while hanging out, running your speakers off the head will be OK at best. If you want to listen to it while underway, it's gonna be barely audible, and you'll be pushing the head unit to it's max which will wear out the internal amp faster.

I ended up adding a SoundStream Picasson Nano 520x4 amp to my bike and it made a world of difference. At 70 it's deafening now, and that's with the volume barely turned up. If you're gonna install a new system, you might as well add an amp for the inboats, if only for the value of protecting the head unit and getting better quality sound while underway. It's cheap insurance at the very least.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-11-2015, 10:58 AM Reply   
At this point, I'd prefer to just keep with a single do-it-all receiver. But thank you anyway.

Any other recommendations for a head unit and/or speakers?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-11-2015, 11:56 AM Reply   
Sony has a head unit out that's a "true" 50X4. I got a demo of this one with 2 pair of their speakers and no amplifier. It was pretty impressive for what it was. Sony's newer lines are much better than the old Xplod crap they forced on dealers years ago.

I'll dig up the model number later.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-13-2015, 6:13 AM Reply   
Anyone else have suggestions?
Old     (SkiCat)      Join Date: Feb 2015       05-13-2015, 8:09 AM Reply   
I do Marine Sound, Lighting, electronics, etc.
Ryan is correct about the amp, but if you don't want to add one at this time look at the offering by Alpine.
I recently put one in an ATV and it worked well.
When you do add the amp, you'll be glad you did!!
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       05-13-2015, 8:08 PM Reply   
I'm not saying that adding a small amp is going to make it a "banging" system, nor am I saying you gotta go out and drop mega coin on an Exile or WetSounds amp. I'm just saying if you're going to drop $3-600 on updating your whole system, what's another $50-100 to add a small amp to protect your head unit and investment. I can promise that you will be sorely disappointed by the sound quality at speed if you just run your speakers straight off your head unit, and you will be putting a lot of stress on it too. Pushing the internal amp to it's max for long periods will kill it, and once the internal amp goes the whole head unit is useless. You're already going to be under the helm to wire in the stereo, might as well go ahead and throw in a cheap amp to protect the investment and get some better sound out of the new system. Remember that the manufacturers claim of 200Wx4ch (50W per channel, usually) via the standard speaker outputs is the MAX power output and it is in no way designed to push that for long periods of time. The constant is more like 15-20w per channel, which just isn't enough. Go get a 2-300W amp (even if it's a cheap one) and toss it in the system and you'll thank me later.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-14-2015, 5:30 AM Reply   
I will take another look at the small amp once the head unit and speakers get replaced. I deal with power electronics every day and totally understand your reasoning.

Anyone have suggestions for speakers?
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-14-2015, 6:43 AM Reply   
I just installed an inexpensive stereo in my fishing/ hunting boat . I needed something that would stand up to the elements in a completely open boat that would be exposed to harsh conditions of rain and even snow on some occasions.
I was also limited on areas where I could mount a head unit and found this...

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Bluetooth-.../dp/B00JJXBBSY

I have a gps unit on my boat so I didnt need the speedo. I mounted the JBL head unit unit in its place. Install took about 10 minutes.

I mated it to this...

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MA6004-4-C...MY6AJK7T2XV007

I had four marine speakers kicking around that I also used. For just a couple hundred + dollars this system is simple, easy to use and really rocks. The head unit is completely waterproof, has Aux, bluetooth and FM functions. I initially hooked it up without the amp and it sounded pretty good. With the amp it sounds amazing.

Last edited by kirk; 05-14-2015 at 6:51 AM.
Old     (ksunet)      Join Date: May 2015       05-14-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
I just installed infinity 612m 6.5 inch speakers in my boat and I a very happy with them so far. You can pick them up for around $65 per pair. I decided on getting another pair after I tested them out. I am running them off my head unit right now but plan on getting another amp in the near future..
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-14-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
I wish I could cock block black cock from white crotch
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       05-15-2015, 7:37 AM Reply   
^^wtf?
To keep the cost down, don't worry about getting "marine" components unless your boat is left outside, or moored where it stays damp/wet all the time. Auto components will work great for years.
I had good luck with some Polk 5.5" speakers on my old boat.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-17-2015, 6:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksunet View Post
I just installed infinity 612m 6.5 inch speakers in my boat and I a very happy with them so far. You can pick them up for around $65 per pair. I decided on getting another pair after I tested them out. I am running them off my head unit right now but plan on getting another amp in the near future..
Thanks for the tip, I just ordered up 2 pairs of these. I'll wait to get them installed before deciding what to do for a new head unit.