Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-02-2014, 3:59 PM Reply   
Uh, yeah . . . . .

http://www.axiswakeboardboats.com/vi...hp?f=14&t=2460
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-02-2014, 4:35 PM Reply   
potato shack was the guy that posted about the supra that had voids in the fiberglass right?!?!?!?!?
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-02-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
I think so
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-02-2014, 9:28 PM Reply   
This post is about a week behind
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-02-2014, 11:15 PM Reply   
The original thread is here:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802195

I noticed it's the same guy too. It wasn't his Supra, but his friend's Supra.
He seems to have bad luck around boats.

I think the main part of this is to train your drivers, especially your kids (19yo daughter) of how NOT to respond to rollers. It seems like her jumping out of the bow to slam the throttle down is what did it in.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-03-2014, 4:50 AM Reply   
I wonder if having a crew of 16 played any roll????
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-03-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
I've seen some big rollers come over the bow of a boat.. unless you accelerate into it, how the hell do you sink?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-03-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
They accelerated into it. The driver was hitting them and water started to come over the bow, the daughter jumped out of the bow and hammered down the throttle.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-03-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
yep, depending on how hard she hit the throttle, they probably submarined the entire bow of the boat then panicked massively.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-03-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
OK, so here's the question. If you are in this situation where your heavily loaded boat has to meet rollers, do you take it head on or try and angle it? Do you idle through or try to get the bow up?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-03-2014, 11:08 AM Reply   
throttle up if it's far away and you have time to get the bow up and over. if it's too late, angle it and use reverse to soften the blow.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-03-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-03-2014, 12:03 PM Reply   
^This. If water is already coming up over the bow, which it sounds like it was, you absolutely do not throttle into it. Throttle backwards to reverse the flow of water. It's kind of tricky if you have a surfer behind you that has just fallen, but if that's the case you already have your bow up and don't have the risk. This sounds like it happened when they were coming around to pick him up, in which case reversing full throttle would have definitely been the right move and most likely would have saved it. Realistically, with a roller coming over the bow, they would have probably been fine anyway, the powering into it and driving the boat under the roller is what killed it here.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-09-2014, 1:04 PM Reply   
Unfortunate. When a rider falls, we throttle all the way back, turn the wheel in the direction the boat wants to spin, and our rollers are totally avoided. Saves gas a well. I think in this instance it was another boat, however. I am very nervous to allow inexperienced surf drivers take the wheel. Normally just me and the wife. Oddly enough, the biggest scares I've had lately are from some very oversized I/Os that throw massive waves that seem to come with a frequency that makes the waves more difficult to dodge.