Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-19-2013, 9:20 AM Reply   
So I've decided to buy a boat. I spent some time on a friends boat this summer, rented a Sea-Doo Utopia 205, and now I need a boat of my own.

I've got a wife and three small kids. The primary use of the boat will be to cruise around with friends, but I want to start wake boarding and trying out wake surfing, etc. I also want to teach my kids to wake board. I want a boat that seats 10 at least.

My soft price limit is $15,000, but I'd rather spend $12-13k if possible. I've been reading a lot about different boats and wanted to base my large purchase by using input from random strangers on the internet. That's you!

I see lots of threads just asking "What boat should I buy?" but that is vague and doesn't really help the buyer. What I want to do is show some boats I have been eyeing and asking for feedback based on these boats, or another boat that may fit my criteria that actually exists and are for sale.

Boat #1: 1992 SUPRA SALTARE $12,900
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...tare-101916273
Great ski / wakeboard boat that runs and looks great. Powered by 7.4 with lots of power and great stereo with CD. Roswell wakeboard tower. Ready for the water. It is a 1992, but looks and runs more like a much newer boat.

Boat #2: 2000 Centurion Elite $15,500 firm
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...Warrior-365096
21' Eclipse V Drive Elite315 Hp 5.7 Litre Mercruiser 570 hoursTeak swim step, snap out carpet, Bimini top, 1 year old custom cover,45 gallon center ballast, 45 gallon fuel capacity. Pro flight fold down wake board tower, hot/cold shower, stereo with USB and removable face, 4 speakers.90% of the interior has been recovered this year This is not a direct drive boat it is a V drive and they are very hard to find in this price range anywhere. The 315 HP Mercruiser runs perfect and has a ton of power to pull anything. With the ballast empty it is a great slamom ski boat. The gelcoat shines nicley and has been well taken care of. Although this boat isn't new it runs as well as the first day it was on the water and it isn't 70-100K like the new ones. There is some wear on the sun deck but other than that the vinyl is very good. Runs great, professional tune up this season. New stainless prop. Great beginner/intermediate wake boarding boat.V/M Tandem axle trailor.Priced to sell,

Boat #3 2000 Mariah Shabah Z202 Asking $13000 obo
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/4049387162.html
2000 Mariah Shabah Z202 special edition red
Won't find another Mariah in this nice of condition.
-Title in hand-
- 305 5.0 mercruiser motor. With 4 blade prop cruises about 40mph with 3 blade 47mph
- 192.3 hours
- Alpha 1 outdrive
- 4 blade 19 pitch stainless steel prop and 3 blade 21 pitch as prop
In awesome condition. Interior is like new. 9/10 I'd say
-Bright red gets all the attention
- Monster tower with 2 boss audio 500 watt tower speakers.
-Kenwood cd/mp3 player stereo deck with focal front speakers
-Alpine 10 inch sub woofer under sun deck
-Matching 2000 Prestige red double axle trailer
Starts up instantly and runs so smooth. Just did a tune up, plugs wires cap and rotor and changes out the lower unit oil and oil change and fuel filter in last 2 weeks.
-Seats 10 people.

Boat #4 87 Supra Saltare $9500
http://bend.craigslist.org/boa/3945801887.html
new baby forces sale, I am not able to use it enough to justify keeping it, so some other lucky individual will be able to use it. Boat is equipped with 454 PCM, inboard direct drive with low hours 445, bought it with 370. I am the second owner. Fresh oil change, new tranny fluid, impeller,spark plugs, intake hoses this season. Has electric ignition. Boat is the best surfing boat I have ever owned, hate to sell it bought if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy!
I had the entire interior (vinyl,foam, and seat bases)professionally redone 2 years ago, So the interior is amazing!
Boat is setup with fat sacks (up to 2100 LBS) perfect for surfing or wake boarding. I had big plans to hard wire in all the ballast but just have not had the time. Also has a custom built box behind driver seat (starboard side) that holds a 850 LB fat sack for surfing or wakebaording, which enables you to still walk that space and still have ballast there, was going to custom make a seat there, again have not had time!
Boat is trailered on a dual axle Supra trailer, with surge brakes and has 4 brand new Goodyear tires on it.
Some lucky individual will enjoy this for years to come, it is a big open bow cruiser with a max occupancy of 10!

Boat #5 1999 Moomba Mobius $14500
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/4049321421.html
1999 Moomba Mobius direct drive, 464 hrs, 21 ft length. Well maintianed, excellent reliability with the Indmar 350 engine. Always garaged (collapsable Monster Tower, folding trailer tongue), custom bimini top which fits over the tower, (3) pop up cleats, depth/fish finder, new Sony stereo and JBL amp, boat cover, bow cover, dual batteries with perko switch, bearing buddys, rollers on rear portion of trailer, removabel fiberglass ski platform, extra 3 bladded prop, (3) fat sacks, wakeboard rack, ski rack, mirror, anchor, heater
Black hull, white/grey interior, carpeted floor

Boat #6 1997 maxum $12500
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/4018618273.html
22' open bow with tower
v - drive
just put new stereo in it with I pod and usb hook ups
350 scorpion vett motor.
4 blade ss prop
sun deck
makes huge wakes with rear motor
rap around seats
has 170ish hour and counting, I live next to the river.
new tags will be here this week

Boat #7 1999 Ski Centurion $15999
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/4062991906.html
Price reduced, books for $19,000! This wakeboard boat is 21.5' long, has a 350mag mpi fuel injected motor with 500hrs. It runs great, oil changed last month. Comes with tower, racks, 4tower speakers, kicker speakers, sub, and amp with led lights that change with the music, pioneer deck with iPod hookup. Ballast tank with autofill, 4 blade stainless steel prop, tournament ski pylon, ski mirror, teak swim step, hot and cold shower, and depth sounder. Clear title, tabs are good until June 2014. This wake board boat is in very good condition for the year.

Last edited by rottenland; 09-19-2013 at 9:25 AM. Reason: Added prices
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-19-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
2000 centurion all day. The V-drive will be a much better setup then the direct drives and I/O's listed. More storage, more potential ballast, newer boat, way better platform for wakeboarding and surfing.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-19-2013, 10:59 AM Reply   
None of those boats fit your need for 10 people. The 2000 Centurion may fit 8 people comfortably and it will surf the best.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-19-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
From the boats you posted, you need some help on what makes these boats suited for different tasks.

If surfing is in the equation, rule out ALL INBOARD/OUTBOARDS, and you should likely rule out any inboard (thats the boat with the motor in the middle). What you are left with is a V-Drive boat, which is an inboard motor, mounted in reverse, at the rear of the boat. The prop will come out underneath the boat, just like an inboard, even though the motor is in the rear.

Second, finding a decent boat that will surf for 15k is going to be tough, especially if you want 10 people. V-Drives are the most expensive boats, and have the highest resale. If you can slide it up to 20k, you'll have better luck. from the choices above, the Centurion #2 is your obvious choice. Just know that surfing demands a LOT from a boat, and with your price range, you'll be lacking power and available ballast to throw a good wave.

Last edited by CarZin; 09-19-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old     (edgeski1)      Join Date: Jan 2013 Location: Portage, Mi       09-19-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
+1 for the v-drive centurion
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-19-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
If you're thinking about wakesurfing, do not get the Mariah. An I/O is not good for wakesurfing purely from a safety standpoint.
Out of all those I would go towards that Maxum or the Air Warrior if I were you. The air warrior does have an odd open bow configuration with the bench, but both are V-Drives and will put out a better wake for wakeboard and surf wake than the other boats listed without a lot of weight.
I rode a 92 Supra Sunsport all summer, it is similar to that Saltare, just a little smaller. They can be made to make a surf wake if you don't mind losing some seating/walk way to do it. They are originally designed for skiing and to make a flat wake, not a big wake. It is making the boat do something it's not made to do and while it can do it, it is not as efficient at making wakes as a boat designed to do so, such as those v-drives.
If you are considering either of the Saltares though, go with the newer one. I believe it was 1992 they switched to all fiberglass and got rid of the wood stringers.
DIY Maintenance on a DD is easier than on a VD because of the accessibility, but that's about the only real advantage other than the price to get into one.
I see you're in Lake Oswego, not too far from us in Vancouver. You should try to hook up with some owners of similar boats and kind of demo them to know what to expect. You can try to PM Trayson on here, he's the one with the Sunsport, see if he's down to demo it for you if you're really considering those Saltares.
Personally if I had the money to drop I would get that Maxum first off, because of the lower hours, price, bow layout, etc. Failing that I would then go for the Centurion Air Warrior.
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-19-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for giving me feedback- I'm surprised though. I would have thought the Mariah or the Ski Centurion would be the best boats for me in this price range.

I would love to try wakesurfing, so maybe I do need to hold out for a V-drive. That looks like a blast and I'm sure I could get more of my parent-aged friends to try that who would not wakeboard.

I do really need the boat to legally seat at least 9 people though. I put 10 because I haven't seen a boat with a capacity of 9, but I guess my cutoff is 9 passengers legally. Usually there will be small kids involved so being at capacity won't be that crowded or hit the weight limit. I've had trouble figuring out the legal seating capacity for each model. Is there a good place to find passenger capacities? It looks to me like the Maxum and the Air Warrior maybe only seat 8.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-19-2013, 1:20 PM Reply   
Of those I like the centurion, as for the bow having a bow filler cushion made will make the bow more functional.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-19-2013, 1:34 PM Reply   
The Mariah is bad because it is an I/O and that is a big no no for surfing (there are a few people that do, but it is either illegal, soon to be illegal, or ill advised)
The Centurion Ski, while a nice boat, is equipped to do just that... Ski. That means little wake as possible, which also defeats your wakeboard mission as well as wakesurf.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-19-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
Legally, the #2 option will fit your crew. Just make sure you have the life jackets and you are good.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-19-2013, 2:13 PM Reply   
If you're really just going to drive it around with your friends then go ahead and get that hunk of crap Mariah .... and keep it and it's rollers off my lake. There's nothing worse than trying to get a set while someone pointlessly drives their boat around making waves. Tubers are almost as bad but at least there is a purpose to what they're doing even if it's an annoying purpose.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-19-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-19-2013, 5:41 PM Reply   
That Mariah has a crap motor and I wouldn't want an Alpha 1 behind a V8. Probably an awful wakeboard wake, unsafe to surf behind and probably couldn't get a good surf wake out of it anyway.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-19-2013, 6:30 PM Reply   
I am going to disagree with most here and say no to that Centurion Vdrive. That is one of the weird eclipse one's that I am pretty sure is bad at everything. I am pretty sure it is a the same or similar hull to the direct drive eclipse's.

I really like both Saltare's. They are huge boats that will feel safe for your young family. The 87 will have a wood floor and stringers. Considering the 92 has a round windshield it might have fiberglass stringers and floor.

The moomba and Centurion air warrior direct drive look like ok boat.

I think the boat that would interest me most out of those is the Maxum. It is a vdrive like the Centurion eclipse but is deeper and has a better layout. From reports I have seen from previous owners they actually perform pretty well. That boat is the maxum version of the Bayliner Challenger Vdrive. The tower looks pretty good on it as well. The hours are low and the price is right.

Without seeing the shape they are all in I personally would rank the Maxum higher then all the others by quite a bit.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-19-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
Really low hours on a really old boat does NOT impress me. Quite the opposite. That boat has about 10 hours a year, which means it has sat unused most of its life. Not a good thing.

My suggestion is bump up to 20 and you'll have much better options.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-19-2013, 7:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
If you're really just going to drive it around with your friends then go ahead and get that hunk of crap Mariah .... and keep it and it's rollers off my lake. There's nothing worse than trying to get a set while someone pointlessly drives their boat around making waves. Tubers are almost as bad but at least there is a purpose to what they're doing even if it's an annoying purpose.
What the heck does your rant about other people using the lake have to do with this guys boat choice?
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-19-2013, 7:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Considering the 92 has a round windshield it might have fiberglass stringers and floor.
Round windshield is absolutely composite stringers. Some square windshield 91's were composite but it has to be checked because they made both.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2013, 11:32 PM Reply   
Maxum, 22ft v-drive that will Must likely fit everyone. No idea about the wake but if you are starTing out it should be Fine.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-20-2013, 12:56 AM Reply   
There was a guy on here last week that picked up a 2000 Super Air Nautique for 13K which was a ridiculously killer deal. I think you need to keep looking. Winter is coming. Be patient.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-20-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
1992 Nautique Excel V-Drive, tower, - $8950
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4010249572.html
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-20-2013, 10:06 AM Reply   
If you are just planning on using on local lakes, you will want an inboard and avoid an inboard/outboard...especially with kids. The motor and prop hanging off the back can be a real safety hazard compared to an inboard. You won't have to worry about where the kids jump off the boat even while stopped with the inboard.

With inboards, you have direct dives (engine and hump in the middle) and V drives ( engine in back)...V drives have MUCH more room for people and gear in my opinion. The floor of a D Drive can fill up real quick with coolers and gear.

If you have kids and want to take a larger crew...sounds like you would be happiest in a V Drive.
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-20-2013, 11:16 AM Reply   
So it sounds like I should hold out for a V Drive, and there seems to be a lack of love for the two that I posted: the 2000 Centurion Elite and the 1997 Maxum. The Maxum sat in a barn for a long time after the owner died, hence the low hours. It seems like they are just the two best options of what I posted, and I should just find a different VDrive boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goride View Post
1992 Nautique Excel V-Drive, tower, - $8950
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4010249572.html
I'll put the details up so people don't have to click the link, and it lives forever on this site:

5.8 HO (351 ford) 285 H.P. V-drive 712 hours, runs excellent, fully maintained. New H2O impellor, new oil in eng, trans and v-drive within the last 20 hours. 2nd owner, Wakeboard tower, hot and cold shower, forced air heating for early morning runs, propped for wakeboarding but there is a spare for cruising/speed etc. Elec/Hydraulic engine hatch opener, dual batteries both new this season with Perko switch. AM/ FM/ CD 4 speakers, removable swim platform. Exhaust is completely muffled making it about the quietest tournament style inboard made. Steering and shifting cables are smooth and easy. Everything works. Troublesome original "Pro-Tec" ignition has been replaced with electronic ignition. There were only 64 Excel's made with a open bow. Even with open bow there is still enough storage under the bow for two wakeboards etc. There is also some under the floor storage, as well as both sides of the engine under the hatch. Trailer has brakes and lights work. The upholstery is original and shows wear but is not ripped or torn.

This boat seems awesome. I'm a little worried about how old, but it seems to fit everything I need, be well below what I even planned to spend, and be a well respected boat.

When I attempt to use the NADA guide it doesn't give me the option for a Model Type of VDrive- why is this? Are they rare? Is it really a VDrive?

Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-20-2013, 11:27 AM Reply   
I think the early 90s was the first v-drive? A v-drive is an inboard, just a type of inboard. The direct drive (sits in the middle) is also an inboard.

While I like this boat a little better, I think you are going in the wrong direction. Hold off, spend a little more (really try to get to 20k), and you will be rewarded with a much better boat with a lot more capability.

Pay attention to the beam of the boat, not just the length. You'll notice these really old boats use a narrow beam, and the newer boats got wider (more room, better wake)
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-20-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarZin View Post
I think the early 90s was the first v-drive? A v-drive is an inboard, just a type of inboard. The direct drive (sits in the middle) is also an inboard.

While I like this boat a little better, I think you are going in the wrong direction. Hold off, spend a little more (really try to get to 20k), and you will be rewarded with a much better boat with a lot more capability.

Pay attention to the beam of the boat, not just the length. You'll notice these really old boats use a narrow beam, and the newer boats got wider (more room, better wake)
Ok, thanks. I thought I had seen VDrive specified as the Model Type for a different boat.

I checked the 2000 Super Air Nautiques and their beam is 7'7", same as this 1992. The 92' is missing about 35HP from it's younger brother, but what else would I be missing out on?

Remember- I'm married. While I could spend $20k on a boat, I really need to keep the price down so I don't get murdered in my sleep.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-20-2013, 4:06 PM Reply   
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4079293830.html - 03' Wakesetter with new motor and new tandem trailer - Under 11k in Seattle

Last edited by jtech; 09-20-2013 at 4:08 PM. Reason: url link bad
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-20-2013, 5:42 PM Reply   
That 03 Malibu seems to be a good find, if it is legit with title.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-20-2013, 7:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenland View Post
Ok, thanks. I thought I had seen VDrive specified as the Model Type for a different boat.

I checked the 2000 Super Air Nautiques and their beam is 7'7", same as this 1992. The 92' is missing about 35HP from it's younger brother, but what else would I be missing out on?

Remember- I'm married. While I could spend $20k on a boat, I really need to keep the price down so I don't get murdered in my sleep.
What you're giving up is that the Excel will not comfortably seat 10 people. You could cram 9 people in there... It is a smaller boat. That does look like a good choice for the price though.

The 35 hp is due to the fact that it is carburated, it is the same block and those engines are literally bulletproof. I've seen the PCM 351 go 2000+ hours and still run like a raped date.

Even though you think "this Nautique is older than this Maxum or Centurion Elite V", trust me on this one. Nautiques quality fit and finish in this era is on par with a 2000 (8 years newer) Centurion and is far superior to a 1997 Maxum.

Plus, when you go to sell that Nautique to upgrade, there is going to be someone that wants to buy it. Maxum/Bayliner Ski Challenger, I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole... Especially for 12.5. Maybe 5-7 grand...
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-20-2013, 7:24 PM Reply   
I would go check out that eclipse, been for sale for awhile might budge on the price. WTF is up with that malibu?
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-20-2013, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtech View Post
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4079293830.html - 03' Wakesetter with new motor and new tandem trailer - Under 11k in Seattle
Again, I'll save this boat so it lives past it's craigslist ad. Thank you for finding this!

2003 Malibu 21' Wakesetter, 540 hrs. on the boat and 2 hrs. on new 335 Monsoon engine with warranty.Tower,bow filler cushion, mirror, sony cd with 4 speakers, cooler, perfect pass, mls system triple ballast, tilt wheel, docking and interior lighting, transom and engine lights, new steering cable, heater, floor mount and pole but table is missing.Flip up bucket, pop up cleats.New tandem trailer with brakes and aluminum wheels,with warranty.The interior is in great shape,carpet also.

This boat seems like a scam. The price seems too good for the boat. Maybe it has some strange story about why the engine was already replaced?

On the other side- The tower doesn't look nice, the vinyl looks extra shiny, and the boat looks like it's been collecting dust in a large work shed for a long time.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-20-2013, 8:44 PM Reply   
I can promise you that isn't legit.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-21-2013, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Again, I'll save this boat so it lives past it's craigslist ad. Thank you for finding this!

2003 Malibu 21' Wakesetter, 540 hrs. on the boat and 2 hrs. on new 335 Monsoon engine with warranty.Tower,bow filler cushion, mirror, sony cd with 4 speakers, cooler, perfect pass, mls system triple ballast, tilt wheel, docking and interior lighting, transom and engine lights, new steering cable, heater, floor mount and pole but table is missing.Flip up bucket, pop up cleats.New tandem trailer with brakes and aluminum wheels,with warranty.The interior is in great shape,carpet also.

This boat seems like a scam. The price seems too good for the boat. Maybe it has some strange story about why the engine was already replaced?

On the other side- The tower doesn't look nice, the vinyl looks extra shiny, and the boat looks like it's been collecting dust in a large work shed for a long time.
I know for a fact that boat is a scam. I was interested in buying the real one when we got our boat in 2011. The price was well over double that. Motor was replaced due to not being winterized properly. I never saw it in person but did negotiate with the seller (who wanted to do the transaction in person, not some send the money scam). He had it listed on eBay and I won the auction though it didn't hit reserve - that's when I researched and found where the seller was just selling it on his website and contacted him directly. Reasons I didn't buy it:
- Didn't get the price down where I wanted it, though we were close
- Was a 6 hour drive (Tennessee) when I had a couple local options
- Hated the interior color
- Hated the look of the Titan tower (though ugly, they are known to be one of the most solid towers ever made and people love them)
- Didn't like the seller; an ******* from the interactions I had

I ended up getting a Malibu that was 2 years older - but had less hours, more options, better motor and better interior color combo and a different tower...and it was a 1 owner local boat that I had previously seen on the water.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-21-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
Price also look low to me, but if it was real I know that sometimes people will dump boats that have a new engine as they can be hard to sell. If your bored you could e-mail the seller and have some fun with them after they tell you the boat is in their brothers shop in Nevada and they wan't a 1k deposit to deliver to you.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-21-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
That malibu is definitely a scam. It was for sale on nashville craigslist for a long time. The price was close to $30k
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-24-2013, 3:27 PM Reply   
I e-mailed the fake seller of the Malibu a list of questions and never heard back- I guess they don't want to respond and instead are looking for someone who will just send money to get a great deal on a fake boat.

So I found some more boats as I raise my target price a little and start searching a farther away- Any input is appreciated.

1999 Mastercraft Maristar $18,500
http://yubasutter.craigslist.org/boa/4065564996.html
21' 210 VRS Motor INDMAR VDR 330. Loaded. Sound system cost $5K still under warranty with tower speakers and new speakers inside. Sterio has i-phone, smart phone, CD adaptor. Teak platform, New Marine dual battery purchased August 30, 2013, dual switch set up to save batteries. Routine maintenance at Hurliman boat repair. Hot and cold water shower off the back. Bimini top, ski pole and wake board tower, stainless steel propeller, New Custom fit boat cover being made now by Tailbot boat covers. Upholstry re-done. Well maintained. 800 hours on motor. Can come with one extra wakeboard, one ski, two jackets as teenagers have outgrown them.

1990 Sanger $14,000
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/4058054242.html
This is a custom ski boat from California Custom Marine. Purchased from redding last year. This 1990 FX22 open bow boat is in Great shape. 627 hours on the entire boat and 350 V-8. Freshly tuned and ready to ski. This boat needs nothing. The tower was installed recently.. Runs like a dream. No nose pickers. I don't need to sell so don't waste the time low balling me.

$13,500 < 1999 Tige < $16,990
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Tige-21...wer_Motorboats
Looking for a great V-Drive boat that doesn't break the bank. Look no further. This Tige 2100 V Limited is the one. With only 233 Hours, Perfect Pass, Taps System, New Stereo it is ready for the lake. But there is a catch, as with all great deals. The interior is in very poor condition and needs replaced. But summer is here and here now. Use this bad boy the rest of the year. Enjoy your summer now, throw some towels over the seats. Carve some wakes and get some sun. When winter grabs you with its icy fingers, shop around and get your next deal from a upholstery shop and make it like new. Next spring you will know your the smartest person on the lake with all the money you saved. This is a very nice boat other than the upholstery and will make someone a great buy.

1999 Malibu Wakesetter $18,500
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/4085928461.html
Excellent Condition. Internal ballast (fat sack), V-drive, Chevy 350. Elec. fuel injected. Tower, wake board racks, extra propeller, Bimini top. This boat is in mint condition for its age. It has only been used by the original owner and is only used during the summer months June-September. It has been in dry storage it's whole life. The boat is located up in La Grange, CA near Lake Don Pedro And Lake McClure. Please serious inquiries only no time for monkey business. email with questions (Trailer Has trailer brakes).

2001 Centurion $16,999
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/4068236693.html
001 elite bowrider / air warrior 21'6 this is not the sport bow rider this one is longer ! Bigger ski locker means more storage and bigger area to relax !
Boat is great color combo !
Proflight tower custom Bimini top that is very big !
Skylon rubicon 8 speakers on the tower
1400 watt amp for the highs
1100 mono block amp for kicker comp vr 10 sub
2 new battery's with perko switch
750 fat sack in rear with pump
All stickers removed from side
Tinted windows
Motor is 350 with 444 hours and climbing I use it every week
New impeller / have extra to go with it new main drive belt have old one just changed it .
Inside I would give 8 out side the same .
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-24-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
My first choice would be the wakesetter and then the maristar. I wouldnt be interested in the rest.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-25-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
My advice in general.
Get the cheapest V-Drive boat in the best condition, with tower and decent sound system that will fit your crew comfortably. This will get you on the water sooner than later. Most boats, including modern boats you're still gonna have to fill some sacks if you plan on surfing a good wave. If it has internal ballast, this will work well for wakeboarding and help more for surfing, but shouldn't be a deal breaker if it has it or not.
Perfect Pass would be something to work for as well, it really helps the riding experience immensely.
My requirements if I were buying a boat with your budget, which I will be in a few years would be,
Required:
V-Drive
Tower (This plays into the storage as well, boards take up lots of space without them)
Adequate passenger room and storage space with consideration for sacks

Preferred:
Sound System
Internal Ballast
Perfect Pass
Bimini
Fuel Injection
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2013, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
My first choice would be the wakesetter and then the maristar. I wouldnt be interested in the rest.
X2
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2013, 9:57 PM Reply   
Fwiw I had a 92 version of the Sanger you list above. I loved the boat. I added a tower, 4 blade prop, upgraded the stereo, replaced the floors, added new carpet, etc. I had added a fat sofa to the rear (removed the back bench) and it kicked out a respectable surf wave. It treated me well for over 5 years as my first inboard. Sanger makes a great boat and it would recommend it. I also sold mine for just over $8k, and the dude has had his for sale all year if memory serves me correct and hasn't dropped his price one penny, which is why it's still listed. Good luck in the hunt!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-07-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
Well, I can tell you that that Maxum has been on GL for a LONNNNNNG time. he had it at like 14.5 and dropped it to 12.5 about a month or two ago. They are pretty rare.

That Sanger has been up forever as well. Priced too high IMO.

I also saw that Nautique Excel. I likewise thought about jumping on it. In the end I passed. There were like less than 100 made, and I did a search from people trying to get a decent surf wave from them and the handful that tried were unsuccessful. It is most certainly a very early design of v-drive as it only has a rear bench and not the wrap around seating. It'd be a gamble for me on the surf wave, so I passed. As far as engine, it'd likely get it done surfing, but wouldn't leave much space for extra OOMPH. I have the same engine and I have gotten close ot maxxing it out surfing.

I have a 92 Supra Sunsport. and it has the PCM 351 and we've been surfing it all summer. it takes a LOT to surf a DD. I run 1300 to 1450 pounds of ballast, most all of it in the rear corner. My boat is pretty damn slammed and I can tell ya that you'd be hard pressed to have more than 3 or 4 people inside a DD if you plan on surfing it. MAYBE you could get away with 6 people + rider if you wanted to surf, but sorry, your bags gotta go somewhere.

Now, if surf isn't a huge priority, then sure, you can get DD's for a lot less than V-drives. I would never, ever consider an I/O. It's just not even a consideration.

As far as legality, my boat I think is like 21 foot or so and IIRC, after 20 feet, there's no capacity plate required.

You're in a really tough price range. trust me, I was there. I ended up with a sweet deal on a nicely modified DD (that I modded even more). For the money, I got a fantastic boat. But I keep looking because I know that in the long run I'm nevery going to be completely satisfied with a DD... Why? Because in the long run, I want the ability to have integrated hidden ballast to give me a nice surf wave at the press of a button without giving up any seating. Can I have fun with throw-over pumps and bags? Sure. But it's not the end game solution for me. My problem is that anything I'm seeing that would make me happy in the long run is in the mid to upper 20's and that's just not realistic for me right now.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-07-2013, 1:34 PM Reply   
Oh, one last comment. I would be hesitant to have one of those boats like that sanger that has the platform integrated into the hull. With my Supra, I found that my swim platform was digging into my surf wave and robbing me of push. We took off the platform and made our own custom "surf" platform that had a smooth bottom and basically cut off the corners that were digging in my wave. With a boat that had the platform integrated into the hull, that kind of customization wouldn't be possible.

I had found another v-drive that was actually tempting to me:
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=40394

Looks like it needed some work, but when I reasearched, I saw that it had that swim platform integrated into the hull and that ruled it out for me. Bummer because it supposedly has lots of freeboard (which is a great feature for a boat you'll surf). The vinyl replacement would add up quick. I remember the going rate for just my rear cushions on my boat was $100 to $125 each. And I am not sure what he meant by gauges that were bad...

I guess you also need to be prepared for the fact that a boat that's 15 to 20 years old is most certainly going to require maintenance and repair. I've had to troubleshoot all sorts of gremlins on mine and I can tell you that if I had to rely on boat dealers to get it done I'd have parked my boat with no money left to run it. Thankfully I can do a lot of the stuff myself and I am willing to use the web forums and community to help me along the way. It's been a eye opener into how much work a boat is to operate, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's been an epic summer.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-14-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
1990 Sanger $14,000
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/4058054242.html
This is a custom ski boat from California Custom Marine. Purchased from redding last year. This 1990 FX22 open bow boat is in Great shape. 627 hours on the entire boat and 350 V-8. Freshly tuned and ready to ski. This boat needs nothing. The tower was installed recently.. Runs like a dream. No nose pickers. I don't need to sell so don't waste the time low balling me.

This guy has dropped his price to $10k for the winter. Might be a bit more realistic now.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/4125155967.html

Not that a DD is your "forever" boat, but it certainly could get you out and playing.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-14-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
I just recently bought that same model sanger except mine is a 92 and its a project. I can say that for it being so old it is a very well built boat, and a rare one at that... not to many around. Everything is reinforced well and there are no spider web cracks anywhere on this hull. I haven't gotten a chance to test out the surf wave but i have heard that this particular hull has a good surf wave and wakeboarding wave. I also have a supra launch 2000 that throws out a massive surf wave. I have no trouble with 10 people in the boat and i weigh my boat down to nearly 3500 lbs and the wave is massive. It is true that with a dd the floor is your ballast space but i dont mind because i rarely have over 6. I run 400 in back locker, 400 under seat, 550 under front locker, 750 beside doghouse on surf side, 750 half on that and half on seat, and 550 in back seat. I prolly have the nicest surf wave of all direct drives, IMO. You really need A LOT of weight to get a big surf wave, and even if you get a v drive you might still have a bag or two on the seats or floor. I really like the way the supra feels on the water... like a tank, but i also like how the Sanger just has a good look to it. Good luck.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-14-2013, 9:06 PM Reply   
I would snatch up that Maristar 210 or wakesetter. The Maristar 210 is perfect for what your looking for. That is what it was actually designed for. It is very roomy inside and has a ton of storage. It also has a deeper v than most wakeboard boats of that era so it handles cruising around the lake ok. It was designed as a family boat to do a variety of things. That would be THE ONE IMO.

Otherwise if budget is in mind those old supra Saltare or Sunsports are very deep inside and have quite a bit of room. They surf great for a direct drive. They are built like tanks and are rock solid.
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-15-2013, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post

I had found another v-drive that was actually tempting to me:
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=40394

Looks like it needed some work, but when I reasearched, I saw that it had that swim platform integrated into the hull and that ruled it out for me. Bummer because it supposedly has lots of freeboard (which is a great feature for a boat you'll surf). The vinyl replacement would add up quick. I remember the going rate for just my rear cushions on my boat was $100 to $125 each. And I am not sure what he meant by gauges that were bad...

I guess you also need to be prepared for the fact that a boat that's 15 to 20 years old is most certainly going to require maintenance and repair. I've had to troubleshoot all sorts of gremlins on mine and I can tell you that if I had to rely on boat dealers to get it done I'd have parked my boat with no money left to run it. Thankfully I can do a lot of the stuff myself and I am willing to use the web forums and community to help me along the way. It's been a eye opener into how much work a boat is to operate, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's been an epic summer.
I am prepared to do most work myself as well as incur additional expenses with owing the boat. I've had a car built in 1980 for the last 8 years and done 90% of the work myself (I don't own a press to do the wheel bearings and I couldn't get one of the control arms off).

This same boat is also up on craigslist now. Again, not sure what normal wear on the gauges is, but looks like a nice boat for the price. The integrated platform hurting a surf wake is worrisome:

2000 Ski Supreme V210 $16,999
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/4116775805.html
This boat does need some TLC (seat upholstery, gauges, and typical wear and tear), so get it at a great price! 2000 V210 - 21 foot, V-Drive! 580 hours, Mercruiser 350 Ski Mag - 315 HP. Runs great, 4 - 2 year old Kicker speakers, with Sony CD, MP3 player and iPod/phone interface. 2nd Owner, Tower with board racks, Hummingbird HDR 600 Depthfinder, full boat cover. Always winterized and stored in dry garage throughout winter months. Trailer with new tires. Only used in fresh water.

I found another 99 Maristar that is much closer to me. This one is missing a lot of the extras that the other one has (Bimini, new cover, new interior, new stereo), but it is a great bit less expensive. I don't like the interior color as much and the wood trim may start to bother me, but it gets me into a V-drive which can hold all my passengers at the price I was hoping to spend:

1999 MasterCraft MariStar $14000
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/4116052564.html
getting a new boat so I need to move this one!
700 hrs.
Chevy 350 engine
Tower
8 CGA life jackets incl. throwable.
Mooring/towing cover
21' long, V-Drive
Stereo
No ballast
Hyperlite board, tube & ropes incl.
All bumpers, air horns etc on boat
Boat buddy on trailer
New brakes on trailer
Boat has been winterized every winter & is in GREAT running condition.
Backseat has 2 tears (see pix).

Thank you everyone for your input. I am still searching for the right first boat for me and what I have learned here has helped a great deal.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-15-2013, 10:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
I found another 99 Maristar that is much closer to me. This one is missing a lot of the extras that the other one has (Bimini, new cover, new interior, new stereo), but it is a great bit less expensive. I don't like the interior color as much and the wood trim may start to bother me, but it gets me into a V-drive which can hold all my passengers at the price I was hoping to spend:

1999 MasterCraft MariStar $14000
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/4116052564.html
getting a new boat so I need to move this one!
700 hrs.
Chevy 350 engine
Tower
8 CGA life jackets incl. throwable.
Mooring/towing cover
21' long, V-Drive
Stereo
No ballast
Hyperlite board, tube & ropes incl.
All bumpers, air horns etc on boat
Boat buddy on trailer
New brakes on trailer
Boat has been winterized every winter & is in GREAT running condition.
Backseat has 2 tears (see pix).

Thank you everyone for your input. I am still searching for the right first boat for me and what I have learned here has helped a great deal.
I actually went and took a look at that Maristar, so I can tell you first hand what I found. Honestly, if I didn't already have a fully functional boat right now, I'd be tempted to get it out on the water for a test and might seriously consider buying it.

So, here's what I can tell you:
  • The owner is the type that just got in the boat and used it. Aside from winterization, he didn't have any work done to it and never did work himself. He's not an enthusiast like me, so tubing and the occasional kids wakeboard seemed to be what they did with it. They are selling to supposedly get a 24 foot maristar.
  • There is a spider crack on the gelcoat where it got hit above the rub rail near the driver's spot.
  • The boat is in storage in Fisher's Landing over by 164th and 205.
  • It has a pretty nice mooring cover.
  • The tower is fine, and has this funny clamps on the lateral supports where there used to be a board rack of some kind, but no longer.
  • The cushions really need a good cleaning but could be salvaged for the most part and you'll get some more life out of them.
  • The rear seat obviously needs redone and that will likely run you $400 to $500 and I know a guy that I can put you in touch with.
  • I believe the engine is the fuel injected 330 HP General Motors engine.
  • The rear hatch is one piece and powers up via hydraulics, it works.
  • The boat has the hot/cold shower option.
  • The boat at one time had a heater option. I found the vent by the driver's legs and another that blows on the passenger window. The blower box for the heater IS there way up under the starboard bow storage compartment. The hoses that would go to/from the engine to the blower's heat exhanger have been cut a few inches off the box.
  • The decals are really sun faded and are more the outline of Mastercraft and Maristar.
  • I agree with you on the interior/wood. But it's honestly not as overpowering in person as it is in the pics.
  • There is no wakeplate on this boat and the Maristars didn't come with tracking fins. If you plan to slalom ski at any kind of semi-serious level, this might be a dealbreaker.
  • My understanding is that this is the same hull as the X2, so it puts out a mediocre wakeboard wake and an average surf wave. It also supposedly takes a decent amount of weight to surf it.
  • I would go with a wrap around bow bag, a tube sack in the center ski locker, and a 750 or 1100 in the rear locker. The locker isn't long enough for the full length of a 750 or 1100 but it does have a decent amount of width.
  • The trailer prop guard has took a hit but didn't concern me. The trailer seems fine. It has one of those "boat buddy" auto locking latches for the bow.
  • The trailer had different brands of tires on each side. not sure if that concerns you.
  • The hours on the engine were 710 or 720.
  • Carpet was in good shape, but muddy feet of potential buyers isn't going to help in the short term!!! haha
  • He's obviously paying for storage, and he didn't have the boat detailed or cleaned up for a sale, so there is likely wiggle room in price.

I did NOT water test the boat or even have him fire it up for a second. so obviously you'll need to do that.

I have to imagine that with that many hours and him doing no maintenance on it, that the prop shaft and rudder probably need new packing rope. That's a PITA job for a v-drive. do some searching. Take the rudder and wiggle it back and forth to see if there's play, if there is, it'll need new packing rope at a minimum. I didn't think to check that.

So, if I was gonna buy that boat I would want to install perfect pass ($1000) but that's because it's such a fantastic option that I wouldn't want to do without after having it.

Beyond that, I'd say that you'll need the following to really be up and running for surfing and wakeboarding
  • Board racks ($500)
  • Bow sack ($270)
  • Tube Sack ($130)
  • Either a 750 or 1100 ($150 to $170 each), but two of them if you plan on having wakeboard ballast evenly weighted.
  • at least 1 Tsunami or elevate pump ($100 - $110)

If you need someone to go out with you for a water test, let me know and I *MIGHT* be able to come.

So that said, it looks like it's something that has a decent amount of potential. I think that if I didn't have my Supra and it was solid in the drivetrain, that I'd be really seriously considering it. But for me it came down to the idea that I'd need to spend $5k or more (assuming I could sell my boat easily, HA!!!) to get the potential for a better surf wave and the ability to add an integrated hidden ballast system in time. I just can't swing that premium right now and having 2 boats for the winter didn't excite me. And the MC would be "fine" but it's not something that I'm just crazy stoked about. So I chose to pass.

LMK if you have any more questions or need any more insight.

You're welcome, you hit the goldmine on feedback on this boat since I actually went and looked at it myself.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-15-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespjackson95 View Post
I also have a supra launch 2000 that throws out a massive surf wave. I have no trouble with 10 people in the boat and i weigh my boat down to nearly 3500 lbs and the wave is massive. It is true that with a dd the floor is your ballast space but i dont mind because i rarely have over 6. I run 400 in back locker, 400 under seat, 550 under front locker, 750 beside doghouse on surf side, 750 half on that and half on seat, and 550 in back seat. I prolly have the nicest surf wave of all direct drives, IMO. You really need A LOT of weight to get a big surf wave, and even if you get a v drive you might still have a bag or two on the seats or floor. I really like the way the supra feels on the water... like a tank, but i also like how the Sanger just has a good look to it. Good luck.
I have a 92 sunsport, and I have a hard time believing that your rear seat storage and rear trunk in your launch are that much bigger than mine. I have a 370 tube sack under my rear seat and it will fill up to about probably 250 to 300 max. I've never put the tube sack in my rear trunk locker, but again, I don't see even a 370 being able to fill up completely, so I'd say again 250 to 300 max there.

That said, you're running a ton of weight and if you were able to dial that all in, I'm sure it was a blast. I've ran about a ton in mine, but it wasn't optimal because it had a curl that would hit your back foot and sometimes catch your leg to pull you back...
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-17-2013, 10:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
If you need someone to go out with you for a water test, let me know and I *MIGHT* be able to come.

So that said, it looks like it's something that has a decent amount of potential. I think that if I didn't have my Supra and it was solid in the drivetrain, that I'd be really seriously considering it. But for me it came down to the idea that I'd need to spend $5k or more (assuming I could sell my boat easily, HA!!!) to get the potential for a better surf wave and the ability to add an integrated hidden ballast system in time. I just can't swing that premium right now and having 2 boats for the winter didn't excite me. And the MC would be "fine" but it's not something that I'm just crazy stoked about. So I chose to pass.

LMK if you have any more questions or need any more insight.

You're welcome, you hit the goldmine on feedback on this boat since I actually went and looked at it myself.
Thanks for all the information and offer to check out the boat with me. The seller says the boat is already sold.

I am leaning more towards the blue Maristar now- it seems like that one has been well maintained and comes with some things I would want to have bought if I had purchased the black one. Maybe if I would get them to lower the price a lot.

I'm still looking though.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-17-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
The blue maristar does look pretty well sorted. I'm sure it's in better condition than the one here in Vancouver. Not surprised the Vancouver one is gone though. He had it priced stupid low for a v-drive made by one of the big 3 names...
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-17-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
I have a 92 sunsport, and I have a hard time believing that your rear seat storage and rear trunk in your launch are that much bigger than mine. I have a 370 tube sack under my rear seat and it will fill up to about probably 250 to 300 max. I've never put the tube sack in my rear trunk locker, but again, I don't see even a 370 being able to fill up completely, so I'd say again 250 to 300 max there.

That said, you're running a ton of weight and if you were able to dial that all in, I'm sure it was a blast. I've ran about a ton in mine, but it wasn't optimal because it had a curl that would hit your back foot and sometimes catch your leg to pull you back...
Ok it's a 400 lb bag and it won't fill up all the way unless you open the lid first, but then it won't shut all the way. And yeah I know exactly what you mean by curl hitting your leg. I'm pretty sure your boat is the same hull as mine, correct? I have to speed up a hair when I'm running that much weight.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-17-2013, 12:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespjackson95 View Post
Ok it's a 400 lb bag and it won't fill up all the way unless you open the lid first, but then it won't shut all the way. And yeah I know exactly what you mean by curl hitting your leg. I'm pretty sure your boat is the same hull as mine, correct? I have to speed up a hair when I'm running that much weight.
From what I understand, my Sunsport is similar to the Launch, but not identical. I'm sure they're pretty close though. I'm still playing with optimal for weighting mine. It does need to be hella slammed in the back corner though.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-17-2013, 12:15 PM Reply   
I also have stock hard tank under seat. Which is 400. But yeah hella slammed is key here. The boat can easily handle it all.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-17-2013, 1:29 PM Reply   
I have a 2001 Tige 23v limited that I have been thinking of selling. It is dialed in and can hold 16 people. PP, 750's in the rear, integrated front sac, and another 750 to move around in the cabin, custom stereo, hlcd towers, jl w612 sub I-pod control ect , 315 mer 500hrs, fresh air exhaust, acme 1579 prop, custom bimini, and more. I am thinking more in the 25k range "obo" but just thought I would throw it out there....its black, gray and white. and I am in the seattle/Tacoma area.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-17-2013, 1:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodd_tost View Post
I have a 2001 Tige 23v limited that I have been thinking of selling. It is dialed in and can hold 16 people. PP, 750's in the rear, integrated front sac, and another 750 to move around in the cabin, custom stereo, hlcd towers, jl w612 sub I-pod control ect , 315 mer 500hrs, fresh air exhaust, acme 1579 prop, custom bimini, and more. I am thinking more in the 25k range "obo" but just thought I would throw it out there....its black, gray and white. and I am in the seattle/Tacoma area.
Sounds like a boat that I'd love to trade up to when I am done with my Supra. Definitely sounds nicely sorted. I sent you a private message, I'd love to see pics of it.
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       12-04-2013, 11:15 PM Reply   
Thought I should update this thread now that I have bought my first boat.

I ended up getting the blue 1999 Mastercraft Maristar

The Supreme and Maxum both dropped their price a couple grand since I posted them up, but I thought the Maristar fits my needs the best and it also had been very well maintained.

I had it shipped using a site called ubid by having shippers bid on a shipping price and ended up paying just over $300 to have it transferred 550 miles. Amazing! Round-trip gas would have cost me almost that amount.

It showed up the day before freezing temperatures arrived in Oregon so I had no time to figure out how to winterize it myself and had to rush it to a boat shop to winterize it. Next year I'll do it myself, but I just didn't have the time this year.

I'm really sad it now has to sit all winter but think I got a great price. I'll take pictures when I get it back from the shop. It got a couple things broken I didn't expect: Heater mount broken, glove box latch broken, Blown Wetsounds speaker. I spent a couple hours going through it and dreaming of summer. It needs a good buffing too, but I'll take care of that when I get it back.

Just dropped $600 of a bunch of super discounted gear at evo.com during their clearance sale:
Liquid Force Index Wakeboard Bindings
CWB Faze Wakeboard 2011 140 cm
Hyperlite Landlock Wakesurf Board 5'9"
Liquid Force Nemesis Wakeboard 118 cm- for the kids
plus a vest for me and some ropes. I still need lots of gear, but it's a start.

Last edited by rottenland; 12-04-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-05-2013, 2:55 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat. It looks good. If that is all that is wrong with a 15 yr old boat then you are in good shape. Glove boxes latches on boats are notorious for breaking. See if you can rig up something that works for you. So I am guessing you bought this without a test drive? Use this list to help you gather most of the gear you may need.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...-gear-list-r12
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       12-05-2013, 8:16 AM Reply   
Congrats man! You'll love it. Hit me up this spring/summer and we'll hook up.

I'd be happy to bring some of my bags and we can sack it out so you can see how the wake looks with some weight. I have a few wakesurfboards too. I usually launch at Portco near downtown Vancouver.
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       12-28-2013, 9:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help everyone. I learned a lot from this forum and thread and feel like I made a great choice

Trayson- I'd love to go out as soon as it's warm enough to not worry about my engine freezing at night.

I got the boat cleaned up a bit this week- used some LA's totally awesome and a scrub brush and was amazed how much dirt came off the seats and handles in the boat. I discovered a few more issues with the boat I need to address, but it's mostly in really great shape.

Thought I'd share some pictures:

Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       01-04-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
Honestly, that interior looks to be ridiculously clean for a boat of that age, and looks like you made a great choice. If you were able to get the seller down a bit off the $18.500, then you did well all the way around. I remember going through a similar process when buying our first boat, and this will be a great starter boat and give you an idea of what you'll want in your next boat. I didn't want to sink a ton of money into a high dollar boat if my wife ended up not being into it, so I picked up a brand new Bayliner 185 a couple years back for a great price. Turns out my wife loved boating, but hated how small our boat was and couldn't haul very many people. I was able to talk her into taking a look at wakeboats (despite the prices), and she fell in love with the amount of room and features that were available in them. Ended up with a brand new Tige RZ4 (she thinks it was all her idea lol) this past season. Just make sure that if/when you upgrade in a few years, that you convince the wife it's her idea and you'll end up with a fantastic new toy.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-04-2014, 10:25 AM Reply   
http://eugene.craigslist.org/bod/4271692182.html here is the Tige from above but at a lower price