Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-24-2013, 8:44 PM Reply   
Ok guys, I am headed to your epic country on the 17th August for 6 weeks and I am just starting to plan out the finer details of my trip. I am headed to Orlando first up then from there I plan on driving through a few of the Southern states across to Texas. I am headed to Baltimore to see the Ravens play on the 15th September and am hoping to get to Ohio the week before to see the Buckeyes. Now my question is, how and where do I get a single ticket to the Buckeyes game. It took a fair bit of searching to find a good single ticket to the Ravens game. I am travelling on my own so buying two tickets is a bit of a waste. I also wouldn't mind catching some other football games during my time there, what's the deal with high school football is that on the same time?

Once the football is sorted I'll be headed back to California for a couple of weeks, going to catch the Tresltes Pro and then hopefully cruise down to San Diego and just hang out along the coast. I head home on the 30th September.

Also any recommendations on stuff to do, places to see along the way. I just want to experience as much "America" as I can. I'm not an instagram traveller that just wants pictures to show everyone where I've been I am after experiences, meeting rad people and doing something different.

Anyone want to take me wakeboarding that would be epic or anyone that wants to act as a guide when I am in your area I'd be super appreciative.

Thanks in advance!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-25-2013, 6:55 AM Reply   
stubhub.com for tickets.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-25-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
How about a little more info on you and your trip..

Where are you from?, whatcha do? (student, professional, bum).. Where are you flying to and in from..

Have a great trip..
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
You won't know if this will work or not until you show up in Columbus on gameday.

But, you might be able to buy scalped tickets in front of the stadium.

The home schedule through September looks like this.

Saturday 08/31/13 Buffalo Bulls
Saturday 09/07/13 San Diego State Aztecs
Saturday 09/21/13 Florida A&M Rattlers
Saturday 09/28/13 Wisconsin Badgers

I would think for the non-conference games, you should be able to buy tickets (a ticket). You could have that in reserve, and then see if what's being scalped is better. Last game I went to, myself and an old classmate bought a pair of scalped tickets for the 1st or 2nd game of the year (it was the Oregon Ducks !!! but this was back in the day when they were the cellar of the Pack 10).

Evidently, the OSU basketball coach donated a bunch of tickets to something like the Boys and Girls club. Some of these enterprising kids showed up and scalped these tickets from their bicycles. The seats were about 15 rows up on the 35 yard line. !?!? I never had as good as seats when a student.

Last edited by john211; 04-25-2013 at 8:20 AM. Reason: left out word
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-25-2013, 2:10 PM Reply   
I've been on stub hub, ticket liquidator and ticket exchange but they all only have tickets in multiples of two. I did consider trying to get a ticket on gameday but I'm travelling quite a distance to get there with the one of the main things I want to do attend a college and pro football game so I don't want to miss out. I'll probably just buy two tickets and give one away. It's something I'll probably only do once or twice so it's worth it. I dropped some cash on my Ravens tickets. Row 1 on the 50 yard line.

Umm about me. I'm 26 from Melbourne, Australia. I'm a carpenter, definately not a professional bum. I've been to the US twice before but didn't travel around much at all. Was last there in 2010 for 2 months snowboarding in Tahoe.

I fly in/fly out from LA. Aside from the football and the Trestles Pro I don't have many set in stone plans, I like to just wing it. Obviously being a wakeboarder, Orlando is a no brainer and then I am just keen to get a bit off the beaten track. I'm not doing any of the cliche USA travel destinations like Vegas, New York etc. I am pretty open to whatever happens once I am there, just keen to hang out and have a rad time really.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2013, 4:29 PM Reply   
Buy 2 tickets ahead of time so you're guaranteed a seat. Buy a single scalped ticket ... if avalible .. on the day of the game ... with better position than your original 2 tickets. Then scalp the now needless 2.

I also went to a basketball school where, no, my grandparents are not in the archives of great contributors. (my grandparents did not go to college). (nor did the grandparents of most my classmates, and, we together have multiple strategies of getting tickets.. period... and then better tickets after that)

I'm curious. How are you traveling. Are you renting a car you can pick up in Orlando and drop off 6 weeks later in San Diego ???
Old     (Hovey313)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-25-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
When you pass through Louisiana I could set you up with my local shop, Rukus, in Baton Rouge. They'll be able to hook you up with a pull and just about anything worth doing in the area! And LSU football, I'm not a huge fan so I don't know how good the games will be this year but the experience of going is more than worth it! You can pm me or shoot me an email anytime!
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2013, 12:23 AM Reply   
I'll hire a car in Florida and hopefully I can drop it off somewhere in the southern states maybe texas or if I have to drive back towards florida I'll do that. Will just fly north to Ohio and probably bus it from Columbus to Baltimore, fly from there to LA, hire a car drive to San Diego and drop the car there, fly back to LA and then home. Sounds good in theory but obviously have to look into it more.
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2013, 12:27 AM Reply   
Thanks heaps Charlie that's exactly the sort of thing I am after. Yeah I am pretty excited about college football. There isn't really any college sports telecast here unless you have pay tv. My last trip there I spent a huge amount of time in sports bars and this time I'm stoked I get to actually go. Spewing no college basketball is on though.

Anyone know of any other crazy sporting events going down during my time there?
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2013, 7:54 AM Reply   
I'm an Ohio State grad (and fan). But if all you really want is to experience an intense college football experience, I'd visit a home game of a big program in the South. I've been to away games to about 10 different universities, and from my sample, nothing compares to whole experience at University of South Carolina (the Gamecocks, and they were not in the SEC back then). I've heard SEC home games at Alabama, LSU and other SEC schools are a lot like what South Carolina is like, just bigger. You are going to be right next door to the Florida Gators.
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
Yeah, I really would love to hit a heap of football games but it just really doesn't fit in with where I am going to be and when. Florida gators are playing the U the same date as the OSU game so that's an option as well. It will just mean I am spending more time down South. Not that I'm bothered by that. I had chosen OSU because an American friend said they have the craziest fans. But I have also heard that Southerners are hard core into their football. I'll have a look into the car hire and if I have to return the car back to Florida then catching the Gators at home will probably work well.
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2013, 2:02 PM Reply   
Or, South Carolina at Georgia
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2013, 2:44 PM Reply   
Good luck with your trip and here's my last input.

If you can anyways get a ticket to South Carolina at Georgia, that's virtually near like getting into the Master's (golf). Good luck with that.

Compared to Ohio State v. San Diego State Aztecs ?

?!?!?

Ohio State season ticket holders will GIVE you their ticket just for your unusual ... Aussie ... accent.
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2013, 3:23 PM Reply   
Sweet thanks heaps. You've sold me on South Carolina at Georgia game. 302 tickets currently available. I wish I had more time and could catch some more games. I was originally planning around having the season opener at Baltimore so that game getting moved to Denver threw me out a bit and I planned the whole trip around a Ravens home game so can't miss that
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-26-2013, 5:36 PM Reply   
Happy to give you a pull if you come through Northern California.......I also have season tickets for Stanford - if you want to see some lame Pac-12 games . Not a bad idea to catch a Niners game before they tear down Candlestick.
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2013, 6:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for the offer mate. Where abouts in NorCal are you?

I'm a pretty die hard Ravens fan so a 49ers game isn't really something I'm all too keen on, unless I could hit rewind and go to New Orleans a couple of months back.

Does anyone know of you can get college game tickets sent to you electronically? Stubhub only has options for postage but obviously I have no US shipping address and most tickets for games around the 7th are not available for shipping until after I am already over there.

For the record, I'm more than happy to hook anyone up with advice, a pull or tour guide duties on any Aus trips
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-27-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
Absolutely do the south carolina georgia game, that will be awesome. As a UNC student, I hate that you won't be here for a chance to see a basketball game between us and Duke, but that football game should be loads of fun
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-28-2013, 1:42 AM Reply   
Yeah I'd love to catch some basketball maybe on another trip.

Is there anywhere I can get a good US road map from online? Just so I can roughly plot out a route to take.
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       04-30-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
If you make it to Columbus - I will make sure you get a pull, hit me up and we will make it happen!
As for tickets - scalp ya one - not a problem on game day.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-30-2013, 12:20 PM Reply   
I am in-between San Jose, California and San Francisco, California. There is so much to do here in NorCal it is rediculous. A lot of our WWers live in NorCal - I am sure you could find an expert in nearly any activity around here.

I had a 7 Aussie girls stay with me for a week a few years ago as a pay-back for a buddy of mine who stayed with them when he was in Australia. We had some great times that is for sure - pretty much lost contact with all of them over the years but it was a great experience. I think we did everything possible in California in 7 days - Sea World, LegoLand, Disneyland, Hollywood (all the studios), Yosemite, wakeboarding on the Delta, Napa, Magic Mountain, Clubbin in San Francisco. It was brutal - believe it or not they liked Disneyland the best. lol.

I am coming to Australia and NZ in 2015. Happy to pre-pay on the hospitality. I have room at my house as well if you need a place to stay.

Last edited by phatboypimp; 04-30-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-30-2013, 8:50 PM Reply   
You guys are legends. I have to crunch dates and work out what's going to work out for me. I just got a ticket to Georgia vs South Carolina which is on the 7th September so will probably fly north a couple of days later. I have Ravens vs Browns on the 15th. Then I want to try and get to the Hurley Pro at Trestles which winds up on the 21at. I fly home on the 29th so it's just craming everything in. I planned out 6 weeks which was already pushing the friendship with work but it's definately not enough time. I will be back again though. This will be US trip 3. There's just so much fun stuff to do there
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-01-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
Since it sounds like you will be primarily in So-Cal. There are places to ride a wakeboard, one being the Carlsbad Lagoon. Its 15 minutes south of Trestles. If I were you, I'd rent a car in LA, drive down surf Huntington/Newport/San Clemente, then go ride in C-bad. Knocking around the OC/San Diego for a week of chilling out and surfing would be a lot of fun.
Old     (livesideways)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-12-2013, 1:52 AM Reply   
Can anyone recommend somewhere cheapish to stay in Orlando? I get there Sunday morning (August 18)