Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-22-2014, 6:24 AM Reply   
im looking to step up from my 69 glasspar to a wakeboard boat. ive been looking at a centurion avalanche , a centurion hurricane , an 01 Calabria pro v or a sanger v215. the Calabria is 20 grand all the others are 27 they all have about the same hours( 500) except the avalanche it has 140 and they are all about the same age 01-02. so what's the better beginner boat
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-22-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
Unless size is an issue if your strictly wakeboarding look for an older X Star or 210 like 01 or 02. Best wakes for the money I own an 02 X Star ride often behind an older 210 and to be honest would lean toward the 210 if I had to do it over again.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-22-2014, 6:38 AM Reply   
Got to figure out what youre wanting out of the boat. How big is your normal crew? Are you going to want to surf?
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-22-2014, 6:44 AM Reply   
I have an 02 ProV and its a pretty decent boat. I really like the quick fill ballast. None of us are pro's so i dont need a HUGE wake. The 210s have great wakes (little steep for some) but they are quite a bit smaller room wise. I made a bolt on gate for surfing that really helped it out surfwise. If you have any questions about the Calabria i can try to answer them.
Old     (rznhales)      Join Date: May 2012       08-22-2014, 7:39 AM Reply   
What are you wanting to use it for most of the time? Surfing, Wakeboarding, pulling kids on tube? Do you have a dealer close that happens to carry any of those makes? We just sold our '02 and on an older boat you may very well ending up spending time fixing issues that can be beyond your capabilities so a dealer near you is nice to work with. Go to www.centurioncrew.com and check out what people have to say about the Avy and remember you'll never regret getting a bigger boat but may regret buying a smaller one.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-22-2014, 9:28 AM Reply   
I am selling my 99 Super Sport for 18K. Put 15 K in last few years. New custom ballast, Upholstery, Carpet , stereo. Reciepts prof work done by Topside Marine and ACME topsand tunes. Lots of other upgrades. Can't beat the boat for quality.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-22-2014, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneng View Post
I am selling my 99 Super Sport for 18K. Put 15 K in last few years. New custom ballast, Upholstery, Carpet , stereo. Reciepts prof work done by Topside Marine and ACME topsand tunes. Lots of other upgrades. Can't beat the boat for quality.
Is this Denny? Do you know Carlos Chavez?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-22-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
If you're in the mid-west,
my brother is selling my old Super Sport Nautique -

1995 Supersport Nautique - 2k in ballast - tower - audio setup (6 tower speakers) - 2 props - dual axle trailer - ~600 hrs (fullt rebuild @ 400 hours) - new interior last year
... I believe he is asking 15k
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-22-2014, 5:41 PM Reply   
right now I have a hard time getting my kids and their friends off the tube but I want to wake board and surf, I would like to be able to do a 360 in the air and that's about as crazy i can muster, but my kids might want to do more if they see the " geezer" do it. surfing looks like a lot of fun and easier on the body. i still want to ski though (old habits). my kids always invite one more friend than i have life jackets so my crew in the boat is limited to 6 but we can have up to 8 and the dog so we take turns. the Calabria is the closest boat to me a 9 hour drive. I've talked to the boat dealer who maintains it and they just took it out on the water two weekends ago and said it was in great shape, the owner also said if i stay the night he would take me out and we could surf and board and then i could decided if i wanted it . so im leaning towards that one. i don't have a boat dealer anywhere near me and that's been a huge issue because if anything happens during the summer my season is over. we only have two places that repair boats and they are always 2 to three months behind and our season is about two months long.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-22-2014, 6:02 PM Reply   
I have an 07 Calabria and love it but I probably wouldn't go back as far as an 01. I believe they have the metcraft towers that were garbage and tend to break. I don't think the upholstery is as durable as others of the same time period, and don't think the ballast can be filled one side at a time for surfing. I think with some of the years you can simply wire in a second switch to fill one side or the other though. If you're looking for a decent 21 footer that can seat 15 people then it's the one for you if the above mentioned stuff doesn't bother you.

Hopefully I don't get bashed for downing my own brand.....it's almost unheard of on WW. :-)

Last edited by bstroop; 08-22-2014 at 6:05 PM.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-22-2014, 6:09 PM Reply   
I've seen pictures of Billy's 02 and it has a different tower than the metcraft so it may not be an issue. If it has a tube style tower that tilts slightly forward those are the garbage ones.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-22-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
Ha i always wondered if MY tower was the one that people thought was garbage ( since i kind of liked it ). Good to know its not. Hey John where are you located anyways? Like brian said the earlier year Cali's opened both gates at once but its not that big of a deal to wire in another switch or even add extra ballast. I added 2 reversible pumps to mine and built a DIY gate that works really well. I'd be happy to share what i did or even send a few pictures. I really like my Cali for what it is ( a cheaper, decent wakeboat, that's different from the norm). Any Vdrive thats in decent shape for around 20 grand you're doing well and prob won't regret buying. Hurry and get something so we can see pics and help you spend money.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-22-2014, 7:57 PM Reply   
Billy I think yours is a Boss tower that was installed thru 2005
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-22-2014, 8:29 PM Reply   
im in Wyoming, the mountains are supposed to get 5 inches of snow tonight so if im going to buy a boat its going to have to be fast. ill have to look at the tower I didn't realize some were prone to break. as far as fuel consumption how well does the calibria stack up to the other ones? its funny you mentioned the upholstery because he just had it redone so its brand new which I thought was a little funny.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-22-2014, 8:34 PM Reply   
another question, the calibria guy says its an 01 pro v 22 foot but I cant find that listed in the nada guide unless you go to 02 and then its listed as a 24 footer. so is it a cal-air v drive instead of a pro v? or is there a difference?
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-23-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
Yeah it appears that it wasn't called a Pro-V until 2002. I would bet it's still the same hull length as all the rest....21ft. All the Pro-V's are 21ft but are listed as 23 because the include the swim deck in the length. Maybe just an error in the NADA guide, or Calabria may have changed the recorded dimensions between 2001-02. Fuel consumption isn't better or worse than anything else IMO. It's only 21ft so it's not as heavy or long as a 23 footer, but it is really wide so you're loosing a little efficiency. It's a trade off.

Weather is good in Oregon....and my 07 is for sale in the classifieds. Hehehehehe

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=44759

Last edited by bstroop; 08-23-2014 at 8:40 AM.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-23-2014, 9:13 AM Reply   
Brian , that's a beautiful boat but way over my budget.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-24-2014, 2:28 PM Reply   
is there a way to tell from a picture if its a metcraft tower or does anyone have a picture of a metcraft tower, I cant figure out how to post a picture of the boat im looking at .
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-24-2014, 6:12 PM Reply   
The easiest way is to do a yahoo search for Calabria pro-v's and look at the pictures. The metcraft is the only one where the back supports of the tower lean forward.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-24-2014, 8:18 PM Reply   
the tower definitely goes forward.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-24-2014, 8:26 PM Reply   
what do you guys think about an 02 x30 for an all around wake, surf, tube boat for a beginner. I might be able to get a good deal on one. (190 hours for 24.)
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-25-2014, 5:44 PM Reply   
what would a new tower cost to replace the metcraft one?
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-25-2014, 7:38 PM Reply   
John the cost of the replacement tower is the least concerning. You'll have to find one that fits in the original mounts or pay someone to fill the old holes. Hopefully I didn't turn you off of the Calabria solely because of the tower......it may not break. They just have a history of it.

In all honesty, as much as I love my Calabria, the X-30 is definetly a better surf boat and overall a better first/family boat. It's got a deeper freeboard than the Calabria so it will sit a little higher out of the water. Mine isn't a low rider at all but the X-30 will have a safer feel because of it. Even though I have 1100lbs under the floor it's still difficult to weigh mine for surfing. The ballast runs the length of the hull rather than in the back. It make it harder to get it to list without still adding a bunch of weight to the rear locker. It has a thick rampy wakeboard wake with the stock ballast.

It's a little more $$ but it's newer, bigger, and probably won't need a new tower at some point. Just my .02
Good job looking around though......don't settle for something you're not completely sure of or you'll be speeding your money again sooner than you think.

And I just sold my 2007 Team-V today whoo hoo! Once the guy picks it up Wednesday i'll remove it from the classifieds.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-26-2014, 5:03 AM Reply   
Congrats Brian, hopefully he takes care of it. Gotta keep the cali's alive.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-27-2014, 5:47 AM Reply   
how well do the calabria's hold their value. im sure the mastercraft will do better. did you take a big hit when you sold yours.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-27-2014, 6:01 AM Reply   
which one would be better on gas, I really don't think we are going to be needing a big wake, I cant see my kids doing flips and tricks much. I think surfing will probably be more popular but I really don't know right now.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-27-2014, 6:08 AM Reply   
Bought it 2 years ago for 29K and sold it for 34,900.

Don't get too deep into resale value comparisons of bigger name brands. It's all about the condition of the boat, the current market, and the right buyer seeing your ad. I know someone with a 2010 big name boat that he probably couldn't give away, let alone sell it at a decent price, because of the way he's treated it.

Calabria was a small manufacturer in Cali and aren't widely known or seen across the US like other brands. That in itself makes them a little harder to sell because you don't see them on every lake. (which is what I like)
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-27-2014, 6:12 AM Reply   
Essentially they're all powered by comparable power plants so the fuel usage shouldn't vary that much. Question.....are your kids going to get bigger or stay the same size/ age?

Get what you are going to need tomorrow and not what just suits you today.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-28-2014, 6:52 AM Reply   
the Calabria owner pulled out of the deal, he said he got a better offer, oh well, I still might be able to get the x30. the avalanche and hurricane are still for sale too. my kids are pretty much grown 15 and 18.