Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-31-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
I have a 2007 Supreme V220 and the seal is leaking a steady stream of water even while sitting. The bilge constantly runs. The seal is "dripless" made by Marine Hardware. I have done my homework on searching and have come up with trying to greese the fitting which I doubt will help after talking to the guy at Marine Hardware. Has anyone tackled this as I don't think I can trust anyone around here to fix it. I am mechanically inclined but taking the velvet drive off and getting everything back true would be a big challenge. Here's a pick of what I have:
Attached Images

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-31-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Where is it leaking from? In your picture, can you use photo shop or paint to put an arrow or something that shows where it is leaking from? What did the guy at Marine Hardware say about it? Just replace it?

If it is leaking from the top of the brass fitting to the shaft going to the drive, greasing should fix the issue - I think. Problem could be bent shaft, grooves in the shaft (doubtful as brass will wear before steel).

If it is leaking from somewhere above or below the hose clamps, you might be able to loosen them, rotate the hose and tighten the clamps again - worth a shot.

If it is leaking from the feed line, just remove it, cut off the end, put a new fitting on and reinstall it - doubt this is your problem, but hard to say.

Also make sure you don't have a restriction past the brass fitting to the shaft toward the prop - water wants to go the least path of resistance. If there is a restriction and the grease is light, it might be able to push past and be the least path of resistance.
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-31-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
Cole,

It's leaking from the brass fitting to the shaft. I haven't tried the grease because of the flow of water. I haven't hit anything so everything should be straight. The Marine Hardware guy told me to get a hold of Supreme which I have done but am waiting for a response. He basically told me to replace it. Mentioned that Fineline had problems with alignment. All I know is that this packing is under the engine and removing the engine is not an option.

"Also make sure you don't have a restriction past the brass fitting to the shaft toward the prop - water wants to go the least path of resistance. If there is a restriction and the grease is light, it might be able to push past and be the least path of resistance." What could the restriction be?
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-31-2012, 10:10 AM Reply   
I would grease it - you have nothing to loose and only a fix to gain.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-31-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
No need to remove the motor, but it will take some work to get at that spot. You'll have to remove the coupling from the tranny and then the coupling flange from the drive shaft. With the prop off the driveshaft should slide out the back and you can replace the packing gland. Be sure to check the alignment when you put it back together, there isn't anything flexible in a V drive or a tranny so misalignment will eventually cause them to fail.