Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-21-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
Tore my bicep...anyone have any experience with how long recovery after surgery takes?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-21-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
Wow, how did this happen? Haven't had it happen, just curious on the story behind it if there's a cautionary tale or anything of the sort.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-22-2014, 8:49 AM Reply   
I have had a partially torn bicep tendon where it connects at the lower arm, and at the shoulder for about 3 years. Mine wont snap all of the way (so no surgery) and it never seems to heal.

If they are reattaching the tendon at the bone, you're probably looking at a year for full recovery, with a lot of rehab.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-22-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
I have that same injury and have had it for a couple of years now. My left bicep has a deformity at the top of it (like a cut in it) and its more like a ball than my right one. It also seems to cramp up when I tighten it up.

It's my understanding that if you actually tear your bicep you have a very small window of opportunity to get it repaired, like days...before they can't do the procedure.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2014, 12:57 PM Reply   
Tore mine 10 years ago, and its a popeye muscle now! never had it repaired, didn't want to go thru the long recovery. Doc says if i didn't lose much strength then don't have the surgery. So far so good!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-22-2014, 1:01 PM Reply   
Also, the bicep assists in pronation and supination of your lower arm (rotating forearm palm up and palm down) , and not so much used for curls (elbow flexion) like most people think. Do you have a torn Bicep, or Brachialis??
Old     (flintwake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-26-2014, 7:52 PM Reply   
are you having surgery or coping with it?
What surgery are you having? Either way you'll be out for this season.
4 months is a pretty solid bet for most shoulder surgeries to be back at wakeboarding.
I'm a physical therapist, but I'm going off of some limited info here.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-27-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
Tore my bicep distal tendon. Doc scheduled surgery within 5 days of it happening. in partial cast now, I go in for full cast Thursday, which they said she be a couple three weeks then its a brace and rehab, after that...full recovery 4 to 6 months...just came off my second acl...so it sucks
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-27-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
im a pain mgt doc, would say back to wake boarding in 6 months. boarding puts lot of stress on bicep
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-28-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Tore my biceps tendon and rotator cuff a couple years back. Took about 6 months to feel 80% after surgery. Was about a year before I didn't consciously think about it anymore. It lets me know its still there when I really stress it.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-28-2014, 3:00 PM Reply   
i tore it when i was in a bigger heel side jump, sometimes i like to let myself drift a little off axis with certain grabs and then pull myself back in for the landing, it tore when i initiated my tug on the rope ( one handed) to pull myself back in for the landing. Doc said about 6 months till full recovery
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-03-2014, 10:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_sledge View Post
Tore my bicep distal tendon. Doc scheduled surgery within 5 days of it happening. in partial cast now, I go in for full cast Thursday, which they said she be a couple three weeks then its a brace and rehab, after that...full recovery 4 to 6 months...just came off my second acl...so it sucks
I ruptured my biceps tendon a couple years back. My first shot wakeboarding after surgery was about 4-5 months after surgery, but I was really toning down the riding for a month or so after returning - no real tricks, just getting wet and putting a smile back on my face. My recollection is by the 6 month mark I was comfortable doing anything and everything. It goes by quickly and if you focus on your rehab you'll come back in better shape than you left.

The bone where they attach the tendon is re grown and solid about 4 months after surgery, so technically you could wakeboard at the 4 month mark, but you want to make sure you have some muscle strength in that atrophied bicep first to reduce the risk of a subsequent injury. Take your time, get a good physical therapy plan going, and be safe. The lake will still be there waiting for you.

The partial cast phase sucks. Progress will seem real slow for awhile, but it starts moving quickly as you pass the 2 month mark. Hang in there.