Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-02-2015, 7:50 AM Reply   
I am looking at replacing the deck for my sound system. I want something with Bluetooth and CD capability so that is mandatory. I was thinking three sets of pre-amp outputs although I probably only need two. Normally I would just loo at the nicest Pioneeer or Alpine unit and call it a day. Although in my last boat I put a nice Pioneer head unit in and I noticed the display was hard to read in sunlight. So I started looking at the marine units. I would also prefer to add a transom remote and it seems many units don't offer this anymore. Looking a the marine units they mostly seem pretty lame with the exception of the Fusion brand but then they get real expensive. Although many of the marine units seem to have better displays for sunlight. I would like to stay around $200 or less. I was looking at the Pioneer X9600 as my unit of choice right now. I am open to uggestions.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-02-2015, 7:57 AM Reply   
Fusion would be the only way I would go. I had the 700 series in my last two boats and they were fantastic. Got the Polk HU in my new G, and I hate the thing. It is getting replaced with a Fusion 750.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-02-2015, 8:16 AM Reply   
The fusion units look nice but out of my budget. I would wait for the new Wetsounds unit with LCD display but I can already tell that's going to be beyond my budget.

I forgot to make note that I am looking at a single DIN space format.
Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       12-02-2015, 12:00 PM Reply   
I was looking to update my Clarion HU because I didn't even have an aux input. I decided to go with the Exile EXMC1 Digital Media Bluetooth. It fits perfectly in my dash replacing an unused gauge. I have a WS420SQ driving the signal to the 3 zones (Tower, Sub, In-boats). The price is right and it is so easy to use. It pairs automatically with the last phone used. I kept my old HU just in case someone wants to play a CD - and because I have nothing to fill the hole it would leave.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-02-2015, 12:51 PM Reply   
Scotty, that's giving me an idea. However if I see that right its only got one set of RCA's. You would absolutely need to run a 420SQ or Exile MKII in order to get 3 zone control. Hmmmmm............choices
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-02-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
Clarion M303

Marine and accepts digital remotes
BT
CD
SAT ready
Rear AUX in which IMO, is worth its weight in gold. I hate front AUX on marine units and sad to see front dominate and rear disappear.
4 chnl pre-amp out, which is all you need if you go with a zone control like the Kicker ZXM-RLC. Front to ZXM and rear for sub zone.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-02-2015, 4:31 PM Reply   
Yeah 303 or 5 series clarion^^^^ best unit for the money hands down...
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-03-2015, 7:45 AM Reply   
I may have to consider that Clarion unit. I am debating if I really would use the transom remote. Does anyone have and use one? I thought it would be nice to have one because there are plenty of times we are all swimming in the water or sitting on the swim deck. It would be nice to skip songs in my playlist. I am not sure I want to drill a hole in my hull either. Some pictures I have seen online show large holes being drilled for the remote.
Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       12-03-2015, 2:44 PM Reply   
RM - The Exile EXMC1 talks both ways to your phone. Meaning as you stream Spotify or Pandora you can change the song from your phone or from the face of the unit. Your phone becomes the remote. If you want to change songs while in the water - get a waterproof phone. I don't think the Exile EXMC1 has remote capabilities. No more HU for me. Radio and CDs are being replaced by streaming Bluetooth.
Also - TigeMike - It has an aux-in cord on the back (under dash)
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-03-2015, 5:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
I may have to consider that Clarion unit. I am debating if I really would use the transom remote. Does anyone have and use one? I thought it would be nice to have one because there are plenty of times we are all swimming in the water or sitting on the swim deck. It would be nice to skip songs in my playlist. I am not sure I want to drill a hole in my hull either. Some pictures I have seen online show large holes being drilled for the remote.
Don't have to use the transom remote... Yes the hole is decent size for most remotes, it's sealed off if done right. As for "talking back and forth" you can do that with the Bluetooth Clarion or almost any Bluetooth these days...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-03-2015, 6:29 PM Reply   
Waterproof or floating, doesnt matter, im still not comfortable with having my phone around the platform. I prefer a transom remote.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-04-2015, 1:41 PM Reply   
is Aux to usb the same as usb to usb as far as sound.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-04-2015, 2:12 PM Reply   
My Fusion 500 just fried 3 of 4 channels after 7 years being flogged in South Florida salt water and I have a buddy who runs this unit and is very happy with it.
Its less than 1/2 of what the new Fusion costs so if it fits in the hole I may give it a try. It has all the features including BT and good initial power.
Anybody have any first hand experience with it? I would love to hear any reviews.
Aquatic AV

http://www.aquaticav.com/marine-audi...marine-stereo/
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-04-2015, 9:57 PM Reply   
The Clarion M303 only has front and rear (switchable to sub) preouts. I sell a ton of those, and they've been dependable. Like mentioned above, rear aux and usb. That way you can use a Stinger Marine dash mount aux/usb port somewhere hidden or out of the weather.

Fusion is great, but there's 1 under $200 and it has 1 set of preouts, and no Bluetooth, plus they're not designed for a normal DIN sized chassis.

I've been using Rockford marine head units lately in side by sides. Even put one in my Yeti They seem to work pretty good, and they've got a built-in voltage meter.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-05-2015, 3:43 AM Reply   
I will agree with the RF being nice units although they are not normal din either... Been installing the new versions since July and everyone is very happy..
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-05-2015, 4:24 PM Reply   
I know you want a CD player but.........

I replaced my head unit and remote last year. I initially wanted a CD player as well until I got talked into a Kenwood KMR-M312BT. This unit is just does radio and digital media. I digitized my CD's and use the usb port and a thumb drive to play all my CD music. With that said I also subscribe to Spotify which allows me to download music to my iPhone and use the music when I'm out of range or offline. 99% of the time I link my iPhone to the Kenwood via Bluetooth and play my Spotify playlists. This is so much easier that CD's. I also use the Kenwood KCA-RC55MR remote which I love. I believe you can hook multiple remotes to this head unit. I just use mine at the helm.

The unit sounds great, has the necessary RCA outputs to run my amps and sub. I really enjoy it. I'll be adding a Wetsounds zone controller to it next season.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-07-2015, 5:46 AM Reply   
Eric thats a good HU as well!!
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-07-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
I believe you were the one who suggested it.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       12-08-2015, 8:42 AM Reply   
I'm interested in this as well. I've been really frustrated the head unit that came with my 2011 Supra. I definitely have and use the other remotes around the boat, with any of these bluetooth could I skip songs on spotify, etc from the other remotes?
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-08-2015, 10:33 AM Reply   
My remote will skip songs when I have my iPhone connected via bluetooth.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-08-2015, 2:25 PM Reply   
Eric, where did you mount the remote and what size hole did you have to cut? Do you have any pictures? Even doing google image searches I don't come up with much for these.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-08-2015, 3:23 PM Reply   
I'm interested to play with and or install the new wet sounds head unit.

I had to replace the head unit in my pontoon boat this summer and I got a recommendation of this Sony Bluetooth head unit with a built-in hundred watt amp .

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEX-XB100.../dp/B00SCS26KE

I have to say I was impressed with the sound quality and the difference 100 watts added to my stock system (that has no amp) the 100 watts that the Sony deck pushed made the bass in the crappy kicker speakers come alive.

I was also stoked to NOT have to learn how to adjust or monkey with the Head units face plate. The blue tooth allows you to adjust everything right from your phone including EQ setting bass and treble. It was a 5 min install and a download the Sony app to the phone and I was down the road
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-08-2015, 7:11 PM Reply   
Realistically... 40 watts Grant...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-08-2015, 9:39 PM Reply   
The review I saw had the headunits out put hooked to a audio dunk of sorts and it was over 100 watts

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/0zkLwQVHxfI
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-09-2015, 1:56 AM Reply   
Most head units are 7-10 watts. Even a realistic 40w is a lot more than a standard head unit.

At ces Sony had a scion with that head unit and 4 of their speakers. It honestly sounded like there was an amp installed.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-09-2015, 5:35 AM Reply   
1. Jony is right, your doubling, or more of your power so of course it's gonna be louder than a 45- 55watts max head unit. Installed a few, they rock, I just dislike the Bluetooth... The guy on the video explains it very well if you listen to him about RMS and MAX power.
2. You need to re watch that video, the first test is the normal "Dyno" at 42 watts not over a 100 We have a Dyno by SMD and they are legit.
We have installed two so far since they released, it does improve the dynamic pretty well.. These are mobile installs as most of our guys want marine units in their boat.

Last edited by Truekaotik; 12-09-2015 at 5:44 AM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-09-2015, 8:26 AM Reply   
It's 40 watts X 4. The way I understand it each of the 4 speakers would be getting 40 watts each. But I don't care what the dyno or the box says the unit that I installed works real well the bass alone was a huge difference. Most of the systems I play with don't need a head unit with a Amp,(the use a tradition high power amp) this was more of a experiment I wanted to try out on my boat. I would use one of the head units again in a car or Boat or Golf cart that I wanted to avoid running a amp in. The ability to adjust the Sound ( like the EQ) from your phone is great nice and easy.