Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       06-26-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
I know this has been discussed here a few times and most say to bite the bullet and get some good quality lights. Dinged a prop so had a week while boat was not on the lift so decided to order one of these just for fun. I am not even going to pretend this light does close to the job the higher end lights do, but for a total cost of $32 and 5 minute install time....I am happy with it.

Crappy Iphone pics...sorry.

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-26-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
Which is it? I already have 3 abyss lights but I need a new drain plug so I may as well get one that lights up
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-26-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
That's actually not bad considering phones/camera's can't really depict the true brightness of it.
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       06-26-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
Yep, for the price I thought it was worth a try. Flea-bay link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121208768407...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-27-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
I went with this one is had 4 LED lights, Can't wait to get it next week while on vacation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190855062568...568%26_rdc%3D1
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2014, 7:54 AM Reply   
That's cool for a quick 5 min install & something is better then Nothing and for $32 what the hell, what power source did you tap into to power it up?
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       06-27-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
Hey Grant,

I tied into my interior lights so I just spliced into the rear locker light so only needed about 4ft of cable and cut excess off. I have replaced all my interior lights with white LED strips so I figure I would like my drain plug on if I have my interior lights on. If I see there are times I would rather have it off, I will put it on a dedicated switch, but this should work fine. My thoughts also, $32 was worth the gamble.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-27-2014, 9:01 AM Reply   
they also come in 4 colors, white, blue, re, and green...I may give blue a shot
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-27-2014, 9:14 AM Reply   
Thanks for sharing. I bought one too. For $32 it is worth it. We are only out at night, one weekend of the year and it is for the 4th. Should be a nice little addition. My boat is pre-wired for underwater lights. Hoping there is a wire back there, I can tap into. Anyone know on the new Supras?
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-27-2014, 1:36 PM Reply   
^^^ me too, for 30 bucks if it lasts one camping trip it was worth it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
Real quick. Those last two picks are on the water right?
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       06-30-2014, 12:35 PM Reply   
Sorry for the late response Hate, was out all weekend. Yes, last two pics are on water.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2014, 5:45 AM Reply   
When you pull the pug out now do you just unscrew the light all the way and just leave it hanging. While the boat is out of the water or trailering
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-01-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
Hey Diggs, wires should be hanging down off the main loom that runs across the back of the boat. Hanging just above the exhaust.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-01-2014, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
When you pull the pug out now do you just unscrew the light all the way and just leave it hanging. While the boat is out of the water or trailering
I was wondering this as well. Also, when you screw the plug in does the wire just get twisted?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2014, 7:56 AM Reply   
^^^^^Yea that too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-01-2014, 8:10 AM Reply   
Mine should arrive today. Will try an install today or tomorrow.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-01-2014, 8:34 AM Reply   
Wonder how this would look in boats like mine where the drain plug is in the bottom of the hull, not the rear.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       07-01-2014, 9:35 AM Reply   
Am I the only one who shows the auction at $525
Old     (jaed)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-01-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
Maybe get a small disconnect that could pull through the drain hole.
Screw the plug in then plug it in after?
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-01-2014, 4:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
Am I the only one who shows the auction at $525
Showing $532, must be a typo or a huge price hike due to this thread. I bought it last week for $32.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-02-2014, 6:47 AM Reply   
What if you don't have a screw in drain plug? Can you change the housing?
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       07-02-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShredSAN View Post
I was wondering this as well. Also, when you screw the plug in does the wire just get twisted?
Sorry for the delay. My boat stays on a lift all summer so I am not taking it out much. However, I zip tied the slack I wanted so when it is unscrewed, it only hangs a few inches below the drain. Also, I twisted the cable a few times so when I screwed it into the drain, I was unwrapping the wire so it was not twisted...hope that makes sense.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
I got mine yesterday and installed it in 15 minutes. Pretty cool and easy. The new Supra's have the wire for underwater LED pre-wired and were literally sitting about 1' from the drain plug. Very easy and she works. We will be out on the water this weekend at night time and I will try and snap a pic. If it is bright enough, it will be a pretty cool $32 upgrade. Looks bright in my garage.
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       07-03-2014, 2:32 PM Reply   
Got my done this afternoon, cant wait to get our on the water to test it out. Was super easy to do, my 2013 axis also had the wires pre-wired for underwater lights right there on the back of the transom, quick spice and its all done! Thanks for the heads up on this!
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-04-2014, 12:20 PM Reply   
Got mine done this morning on my malibu, shines right into the wedge...oops that was poor planning. Guess I can lower the wedge when I want the glow.
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
What gauge wire is on the light? I had my package shipped to where my boat is located and I want to make sure I take all correct the wire and connectors when I leave.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-06-2014, 4:16 PM Reply   
Not sure on the gauge but it's VERY thin, maybe 22 gauge?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-07-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
We had ours out at night over the weekend. They work great for $32. Mine was on the drain plug on the back and put off a nice amount of light. Not like the expensive fancy ones, but I would say 66% as good for sure. Well worth it. My buddy put one on his T-Plug under his boat and it was pretty sweet too. It illuminated the water all around his boat. He spliced his right into his courtesy lights in the boat. Definitely very happy with these for the price. We are typically out after dark one time a year so it would not be worth a $1K option, but for sure worth the $32....

Of course we did not get any pics...... whoops
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       12-18-2014, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quick question for those with drain plug LED Lights...

When you take out your drain plug to trailer home or whatever, do you have to unplug some wires? Or do you leave the plug dangling somehow because it's still attached? I usually take my plug out and put it in a cupholder with my gear wrench I use to take it out with...
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-18-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Quick question for those with drain plug LED Lights...

When you take out your drain plug to trailer home or whatever, do you have to unplug some wires? Or do you leave the plug dangling somehow because it's still attached? I usually take my plug out and put it in a cupholder with my gear wrench I use to take it out with...
Just put some quick connectors if you don't want it dangling.

Looks sweet BTW!
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       12-18-2014, 12:31 PM Reply   
I leave the rear plug in all the time and take out the center plug on my axis...
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-19-2014, 12:30 PM Reply   
On our Nautique, the drain plug is threaded to be installed from the inside of the boat, not the outside. I'm curious if the thread would work from the outside in as well. Has anyone else tried it in this type of application? Our plug is a "T" style plug that you access under the floor from the inside.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-19-2014, 2:01 PM Reply   
I kinda don't think you can use from outside. And although a bit embarrassing I will tell you why I think that.

When I got my 2008 nautique sante 210 couple years ago I knew nothing about inboards. So since the plug wasn't installed I assumed it went in from the outside. I thought this was weird because it was in the rear center of the boat instead of rear like my old runabout. I was also wondering why it would have the t handle figuring it would catch on lake weeds.

Try as I might it would not thread in from the outside. Stupid me then figured out it goes in from inside. LOL.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-19-2014, 2:37 PM Reply   
That was kind of my thought. If it was threaded all the way through then the plug would never tighten.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-13-2015, 7:07 AM Reply   
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/under...rd-drains.html
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-20-2015, 12:18 PM Reply   
So since I saw this thread, it has caught my interest and I've wanted to get one of these. I have a 2001 Mastercraft x10. I was just about to click place order and something made me stop and double check that it would fit my drain plug size. My boat is in storage now so I can't just go measure my plug myself. Does anyone know if my drain plug is a 1/2" like these lights are? I called multiple MC dealers and they either couldn't tell me the size, or were guessing that it was 3/4". Has anyone else had trouble with the size of these drain plug lights or any insight for me?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-20-2015, 6:04 PM Reply   
OK so this might be random/weird but what if you installed this on your ski/thru hull drain plug... curious if it would light up the hulls belly water while on plane. That would look pretty sweet!
Old    r33pwrd            12-20-2015, 9:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
OK so this might be random/weird but what if you installed this on your ski/thru hull drain plug... curious if it would light up the hulls belly water while on plane. That would look pretty sweet!
My lifeform 9s light up the water all around the boat...
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       01-06-2016, 11:30 AM Reply   
They are NPT threads meaning they have a taper and the further it is threaded in the tighter it gets..... Can only be inserted in one direction.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-06-2016, 6:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeab8 View Post
So since I saw this thread, it has caught my interest and I've wanted to get one of these. I have a 2001 Mastercraft x10. I was just about to click place order and something made me stop and double check that it would fit my drain plug size. My boat is in storage now so I can't just go measure my plug myself. Does anyone know if my drain plug is a 1/2" like these lights are? I called multiple MC dealers and they either couldn't tell me the size, or were guessing that it was 3/4". Has anyone else had trouble with the size of these drain plug lights or any insight for me?
You can get a thread adapter that makes the 1/2" NPT of the drain plug LED a 3/4" NPT to fit your drain plug. I did that with my '99 MC 205v. Those thread adapters are like $5 at Lowes.

Also, don't get the ones from eBay. There's a better version now at http://boatpluglight.com
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-08-2016, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
You can get a thread adapter that makes the 1/2" NPT of the drain plug LED a 3/4" NPT to fit your drain plug. I did that with my '99 MC 205v. Those thread adapters are like $5 at Lowes.

Also, don't get the ones from eBay. There's a better version now at http://boatpluglight.com
Josh, could you post a link of what adapter you are talking about? I've been trying to get my hands on something to get this to work for a too long now. I called Diablo Royale and they said my boat was an anomaly and I shouldn't need any adapter. Definitely do.

My stock drain plug is straight threaded with an O-ring and the light is NPT and tapered with no O-Ring....Do they make an adapter to go from a straight with O ring to tapered NPT?