Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       06-11-2018, 6:41 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I also posted this over on the Tige Owners forum, so if you see a copy over there that is whats going on.

I need your opinion between 2 boards. Looking for a surf style, looking at used boards. I have a few options but have basically narrowed it down to a 2015 phase 5 aku, or a shredstixx headband. Weight is about 180 or so.

My first hunch is that the headband is the better board geared to intermediate/advanced riders, would I be correct in that assumption. Im thinking the aku is more balanced from beginner well into intermediate? The new phase 5 boards are ridiculously expensive new, so im thinking they have to be a pretty decent board as well though.

Not sure which one is going to be better. Anyone have any opinions?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-11-2018, 7:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbren View Post
Hey guys, I also posted this over on the Tige Owners forum, so if you see a copy over there that is whats going on.

I need your opinion between 2 boards. Looking for a surf style, looking at used boards. I have a few options but have basically narrowed it down to a 2015 phase 5 aku, or a shredstixx headband. Weight is about 180 or so.

My first hunch is that the headband is the better board geared to intermediate/advanced riders, would I be correct in that assumption. Im thinking the aku is more balanced from beginner well into intermediate? The new phase 5 boards are ridiculously expensive new, so im thinking they have to be a pretty decent board as well though.

Not sure which one is going to be better. Anyone have any opinions?

The Aku is a super faster and maneuverable board. Nothing beginner about it. Not sure what gives you that impression.
Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       06-11-2018, 7:15 PM Reply   
Its hard to find reviews and info for the aku, but that was just the impression I got. I could be, and probably am, entirely wrong. Would you say the aku is the better board?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-12-2018, 3:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbren View Post
Its hard to find reviews and info for the aku, but that was just the impression I got. I could be, and probably am, entirely wrong. Would you say the aku is the better board?

The headband at 4’11” is going to be much bigger and slower than the Aku
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       06-12-2018, 1:01 PM Reply   
I'd go with the Aku. We've previously owned the headband and while it was a solid board, I don't recall that shape lasting very long. Once we started seeing boards that remained wider towards the tip we never went back. Also, the headband is most likely going to be a few years older than the Aku, so conceivably it could have more wear and tear. I've scaled the images to match similar heights so you can see the difference in their shape.

Hope that helps in some way!

- Ry

Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       06-13-2018, 9:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies guys, it helps alot! Going to try and go for the Aku, but we will see what happens.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-15-2018, 11:08 AM Reply   
The Aku is a skim board with surf style fins. It is even hard to call it a hybrid. It was Phase 5's first attempt at a surf style board, then they decided it was easier to just copy my stuff. The Headband, is my updated versions of one of the oldest shred stixx shapes, the Ja Mako. The Ja Mako is essentially just a fat or wide version of the Thresher. The Thresher was the first wakesurfboard under 5'. Lot's of history.

Personally, I wouldn't reccomend either one. I would reccomend you look at a Chaos Sixer. We may be able to find a use or demo board around.

Nick
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-15-2018, 11:13 AM Reply   
All very interesting, but I personally ride the Aku on occasion and it’s a fun board to ride.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-16-2018, 10:10 AM Reply   
I don’t think Nick is suggesting it’s boring at all. I think he is saying it’s an odd combo of skim board with surf fins, and that a pure surf style like a sixer will offer a better surf experience.

Skim boards are usually slick and fast, yes, but putting some fins on them doesn’t transform them into a traditional surf style ride.

It’s like calling an El Camino a pick up truck a little bit.
Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       06-19-2018, 11:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
The Aku is a skim board with surf style fins. It is even hard to call it a hybrid. It was Phase 5's first attempt at a surf style board, then they decided it was easier to just copy my stuff. The Headband, is my updated versions of one of the oldest shred stixx shapes, the Ja Mako. The Ja Mako is essentially just a fat or wide version of the Thresher. The Thresher was the first wakesurfboard under 5'. Lot's of history.

Personally, I wouldn't reccomend either one. I would reccomend you look at a Chaos Sixer. We may be able to find a use or demo board around.

Nick
Nick do you happen to have a used or demo Ringer XL kicking around? Im about 230 lbs
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-20-2018, 7:47 AM Reply   
Send me a pm. I might has a blemish around.

Nick