Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
andrew you seem to be miss informed all boats with a left hand prop will surf better on the port side and yes my falcon makes a better wave than the narrow 96"sanger by the way there surf tabs are a joke.think about it more weight more draft bigger wave.i live in pdx and would enjoy a hook up to see whos wave is the best any one up for it ?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Can we get back to the Sanger vs. Calabria discussion? Harold seems to be really trying to justify his payments at this point...
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
nope my payments are small just sick of sanger this sanger that.how do you compare the two. pro v wider,more draft fit and finish is as good or better plus the sanger is a repo it's down to 27,000 the pro v is at oregon custom marine and tim and the crew there are great to deal with it's a no brainer pro v all the way
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
There is a reason it is this Sanger, that...LOL.

Sanger wins every time. You have no voice here since you don't own either.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       01-22-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
The 30+ foot Offshore power boats don't use wood stringers. Fountain, Baja, Donzi, etc. do not use wood in their stringers. The funny thing is that Fountain and Baja (and some others) don't use stringers at all. They use what they call a liner. Take a look at some of the power boat web sites. They do NOT use wood.

http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/sport/technology/construction.html
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
no dont own either but my brother does own a boat repair shop here in pdx so i have been in them all. the sanger is a nice boat but for the money the pro v is a better boat.better fit and finish more space the stainless tower is awesome.and the pure vert ballast is sick add a couple 750's to the rear lockers and you have pro sized wakes
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
Ok. "Your brother own a repair shop"...HAHAHA

Thats says it.

Did you see my first post on this string? Sanger support will not be second to any MFGR! PERIOD, man!

Holy crap, this turned stupid. Michael, if you are still reading this garbage, get this out of it.

Sanger owners are crazy loyal to that company. Calabria owners will stick up for their purchase (which was most likely a good one..). Go test them and buy whichever one gives you the biggest stiff.....I mean most satisfaction. They are both obviously great boats, so good luck.

Get a great deal - you are in the drivers seat in this market.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
are you stupid he asked for input.input is different peoples opinion's not your one sided wood in a boat is ok sanger only BS
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
That's it, Harold. He is asking for opinions on Sanger or Calabria. So I'm stupid.

Jeez you really are a moron.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-22-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Low freeboard is sexy! Wood works period! And that pic above of the Sanger 215 wake, the boat is stacked with 2500 to 3k I'm guessing. Michael, I think it's pretty even on these two boats as far as boarding wake and surf wake. Ultimately you would demo both to help you decide. I would go Sanger as well but I'm biased...I've owned three so far...
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-22-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
I have wood.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
cant you read i was giveing my opinion of the two boats i have seen them both. the calabria out at ocm is super nice tons of space and the fit and finish is better than the sanger.the tower is real nice not the same old proflight like on the sanger plus the ballast is under the floor leaving more room for sacks.so lifetime looks like you are the moron when you read a post start at the top
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
Ok. You can tell "fit and finish" from just looking at it. My bad.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-22-2010, 9:01 PM Reply   
"plus the ballast under the floor leaving more room for sacks". What's the point of having it under the floor if you're just going to fill the floor space with sacs anyway? Maybe I'm missing something.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-22-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
I HAVE WOOD!!!!

I AM GARY OAK,YOU CAN'T IGNORE MY GIRTH!!!!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-22-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
Sanger owners aren't crazy loyal.Upload
It's not really a cult.Upload

We just know what is pure.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-22-2010, 9:39 PM Reply   
pro-v surf wake might be good, but its wakeboarding wake blows...no matter how much weight you put in it.

sanger wake just gets better the more weight you put in it.

as you were.
Old     (mvanhove)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-23-2010, 12:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input on the boats we will definately be driving both boats soon hopefully. Sorry about all the arguments this thread started. Is there anyway to delete the whole thread?(sorry new to this.)
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
Nice Art. That is funny stuff.

Michael, don't worry about the arguments. We boat owners get a tad sensitive sometimes (especially about our wood or lack thereof...nevermind)
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-23-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
it's all good it's just been a long winter
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-23-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Buy the boat that works for you, Not what other ppl claim to be better. You have to be happy with it and I think both would be a good choice.

Hell I bought a Moomba partially because I didn't want the same boat as all my friends or see the same boat every time I went out. Saved some cash and love the boat too.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       01-23-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
there is no comparison IMO of the surf wakes as shown above on the Calabria ,Upload
and a Sanger V215 here
UploadUpload
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-23-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I think the pics are way to different to argue either way?
Could be different speeds and weight configurations, Besides I've been on the same model boats that have totally different wakes due to weight and placement.

But then again I don't surf so that isn't important to me in a boat.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-23-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
That and a 250lbs+ rider on the top of the wave and a 170lbs rider at the bottom of the wave are not good comparisons.Not saying one is better than the other,but you can't judge between those two pictures.I agree it's hard judging wakesurf waves by pictures because of all the variables involved.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
If you can't tell through those pictures, you can judge by the other picture posted of the Calabria wave about halfway up the thread.

No comparison.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-23-2010, 5:00 PM Reply   
I know a let a guy surf behind my Moomba LSV and he said it was better than our friends Pro-V. But I had a full 750 on 1 side and about 6 ppl down the side of the boat. So it is not a fair comparison in my book.
Old    stillstandin            01-23-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
"the fit and finish is better than the sanger"

Uhhhhh....NO!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-23-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   

quote:

By Craig A. (stillstandin) on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 5:36 pm: Edit Post Delete Post
"the fit and finish is better than the sanger"

Uhhhhh....NO!

x2
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-23-2010, 9:07 PM Reply   
Umali is the wake so bad you would pass a day on the water on the Pro-V ? I mean I would imagine you've ridden a lot of boats. I've never known or heard of you owning a boat for the many years I've been on this site? So it is a legitimate question I think?

The one I ride frequently is good and reminds me of a Malibu. And I have just as much fun on it as I do my own or many other types of boats. I think the ppl with you can make the day worse than a bad wake.

Although I prefer good wakes and I ride with good ppl.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-23-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
you're right, i've never owned a boat. not being defensive nor am i questioning your motives, but i just don't see how that's relevant. at least you can say that i don't have ownership goggles.

i've accepted many invites from friends w/ wakes that i wasn't too fond of. i did so because i knew that i'd have a good day regardless of the wake. however, i'd be lying if i told you that i've never accepted invites over others because i preferred one wake over the other. those are days in which i really wanted to ride.

i do agree w/ you though that bad attitudes can ruin one's day more than a bad wake can.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-23-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
btw, i like moomba wakes.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-23-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
Not implying anything just wondering if you dislike them that much? And I know you have ridden many types of wakes and have an opinion on them.

When I first rode the Pro-V I wasn't impressed,But the owner was accepting of trying sac's and now he has his boat's wake really good. It is different than mine for sure but I like riding it because I think it makes you a better rider to be able to adjust to the wake. Instead of blaming the boat for bad riding I blame myself.
There are a bunch of wakes I like better than mine !

Umali next time your up this way I'll get Squid out and give you a pull behind the Moomba and I can get your 2 cents worth.
Old    kidrik            01-25-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Hang in there Jeff, we'll get that Moomba wake dialed... And thanks for not thinking my wake blows...

Michael, definitely check them both out for yourself. I don't think you can go wrong. I've heard nothing but great things about Sanger! The Pro V has worked out great "for me". We run anywhere from 2,200 to 2,500 lbs. plus peeps, and it seems to work well for everyone. But that's coming from a banged up old guy! Good luck.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-25-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
Thanks Rik....I think I need a few more fat sac's, Just in case I don't want any floor space showing !

Anything is almost always better than sitting on the bank watching someone else have all the fun !
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
nice little jab at me, jeff.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-25-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
No jab intended anywhere! I'm just stating the facts.

I hope this family gets whatever boat feels good to them and gets out on the H2O. I know it's hard to make a decision when you get a bunch of different opinions from everybody.

Besides Joe I am 1 bad month away from being boat less also...lol
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-25-2010, 8:55 PM Reply   
I was faced with the same decision this summer and decided to go with the sanger. I've ridden behind both and I was not impressed at all with the calabria, but it did only have the stock ballast. The quality of a sanger is outstanding and I couldn't be happier with the wake.
Upload
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       01-26-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
The two pictures that I posted half way up,

1) To show people it does not take allot of weight to get a decent surfwake out of a calabria.

2) Yes I am big(FAT) 280LBS. I am just showing that there is allot of water displacement to move fat guys on the wake.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-26-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Wood hmmmmm I love morning wood or should I say my wife does
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-26-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Boy that's a pretty combo Ryan. The red lower hull really looks sharp.
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-26-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
I also looked at both, as they were both in my price range. I went with a 2010 Calabria Pro-V Team. I love the boat, the wakeboard wake, the surf wake, the interior room, and the "fit and finish".

I'm 38 and have two girls ages 3 & 6. I can get hurt on the Calabria wake just as easily as the 215. I just liked the room in the Calabria, especially knowing I'd have the family on the water...both girls can lay on towels on the floor and they're not even in anyone's way.

You can't go wrong with either boat, it's what you want to do with it. You can dial in any boat with extra ballast just like everyone else does who claims their boat has the "best wake ever".

Good luck and enjoy!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-26-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
That is great looking. It is a boat Donk. You should pull that with a Donk as well.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-26-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Sorry dbdan, but this is bad advice:

"You can dial in any boat with extra ballast just like everyone else does who claims their boat has the "best wake ever"."

I had an '06 Supra 22SSV. I had it "dialed" with near 3000lbs for surfing. Dialed in this case means the wave was maxed out. That wave absolutely pales in comparison to my current boat with less than half that weight.

You can only do so much with certain hulls, no matter how much ballast you add.

(Message edited by taft on January 26, 2010)
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-26-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
andrew if you say you had a 22ssv lets see a pic with you beside it, then I will believe your bs story about that..that sanger has a nearly identicle hull. supra have grat wakes and handling
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-26-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   

quote:

You can only do so much with certain hulls, no matter how much ballast you add.

i agree wholeheartedly. the older supras (early 2000's) didn't put out good wakes, no matter how much weight was put in it....not big enough and too washy. the newer ones are MUCH better though.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-26-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
Hey Drew:

Upload
Upload
Upload

I'd show a picture of me beside it holding today's newspaper so you could better know that it was me, but we sold that boat because it does not surf well. It was great for wakeboarding, but it should be known that a great wakeboarding boat does not make a great surfing boat. (see X-Star, Epic, '06 22SSV)

Thanks for the call out by the way.

PS. There is absolutely no similarity in the hulls of the '06 22SSV and the Sanger.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-26-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
Drew, Sangers and the Supras hulls are nothing alike. The supr has a very steep deadrise towards the bow and then the keel line just stops. The hull then get fairly flat. The Sangers have a solid line keep all the way to the transom. It has a variable deadrise but the hulls are absolutley nothing alike.

Here is a pic of a Supra 24SSV. Pretty much all the Supra hulls are like this. notice how halfway back from the bow the keel line stops abruptly and the hull flattens out. I couldn't find a good pic of the Sanger but it doesn't do this.
Upload
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-26-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
I also did some searches for a pic of the hull so I could better sea the sanger hull, came up empty. I see in your supra pics that you had a ton of weight in it,I havent surfed before and will try this summer with my new mob ls, dont think its ment for surfing but I'll give it a shot.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-26-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
You called me out on a boat you don't own, and in regards to a sport you haven't tried? Bro...

As for a profile picture of a Sanger, here is my boat. It is pretty clear that differences in hull design ranges from one distinct shape to another. And returning to something relevant to the original reason for the OPs post - If you want to surf, go with a Sanger. They have been heavily tested with surfing by owners on this forum. The V215 would be a great choice if surfing matters to you.

Upload

Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-26-2010, 9:17 PM Reply   
Dood never said anything about surfing #1 this is waake world not surf world and you were right developing a surf wake is different, how is the wakeboard wake behind that boat, dont razz me too much I am a three event guy who enjoys a couple of wake sets aswell. therego the mob ls and not a lsv, what do sangers sell for?
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-26-2010, 9:43 PM Reply   
I won't razz you if you don't BS me

I don't know how the wake is, I gave wakeboarding up after I discovered surfing back with my Supra. I'm assuming it's pretty good when set properly. A wakeboard school near me uses a 237 as their towing boat.

Sangers sell for less than comparable boats. In my opinion, they'd compete with Moombas to Malibus if people knew more about them.

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-26-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
Drew- I picked up my 2006 215 brand new this June for $25500. It sat on a lot then the lot went under and gave the boat back to Sanger who redid all the upholstry. It was loaded with just about all the options except a depth gauge. It looks like I got a screaming deal considering the 2009's were selling for $40k here in Cali.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-27-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
I just dropped 52000 on my mobius that was optioned out with the boat show incentives and the owner ofvthe dealer is my uncles best bud.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-27-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
I think this is the longest Sanger based thread ever. I'm sure it's the longest Calibria one.
Old     (mvanhove)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-27-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
The best part is I find all this information intruiging and helpful.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-27-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Definitely the longest Sanger/Calabria thread, with a large side dish of Moomba thrown in!
jk Drew
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
Andrew- Your boat is badass! I love the black/ blue color combo and the new sanger graphics. Gool luck keeping the water spots off that though!

(Message edited by ryanw209 on January 27, 2010)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-27-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
Hey Michael! You're still here. I often wonder if the original poster follows these forum ramblings for very long.
Old     (mvanhove)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-27-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
Always checking a couple times a day.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-27-2010, 6:17 PM Reply   
ahaha, thanks Ryan. It can be a pain in the ass keeping the black black, but it is all worth it when it is clean and in the sun. 2 months to go...
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-28-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
I thought this was a good informative thread.
I knew nothing about Calabria before reading this, I think I've seen only one or two on our stretch of river.
Other than the backwards opening hatches, they look like nice, well built boats. I prefer a narrower beam boat, but I know many people like the wide body set up. To each their own, if we all rode around in the same boat, it would be pretty boring here on Wakeworld...
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-28-2010, 10:34 PM Reply   
Andrew,

Ok, Ok...you got me. I was generalizing, I should have been more specific.

In my opinion, you can dial in both a Calabria and a 215, using additional ballast, to have very capable wakes for both wakeboarding & wake surfing, and be extremely happy with either.

Hell, I grew up on a Sanger. Our family's first inboard was a Sanger. In fact it was Sanger's first official ski boat, before they were "Ski Sanger"s. I loved that boat. My buddy just bought a 2008 V237 which I also love. No question, great boats all around.

But I was able to buy my 2010 for almost $10,000 less than he bought his 2008...would I be happy with another Sanger, absolutely. Am I happy with my Calabria, absolutely.