Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-08-2009, 3:18 AM Reply   
Hi guys, i was looking into purchasing a used X-Star with aprox. 500 hrs. on it. I have not been in one or towed by one so I have no idea what they are like. If I can get some opinions of what things are good and what are not so good about the boat that would be great. Thanks. Scott
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       11-08-2009, 3:58 AM Reply   
We have a 01 X-Star and love it. The wake shape is very good... And really nice when loaded down. We fit 7-8 people easily and comfortably.

If I had to say there was something I did not like about our boat, it'd be the stock ballast system. It's not a big system, I think a integrated bow tank would help tremendously. If I'm not mistaken they only have 1 battery, too... I definitely prefer a dual battery set-up. Those 2 items are very easy to upgrade.

Keep in mind that Mastercraft still makes that boat... There has to be a good reason for that, right?
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-08-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Very good fried has one and the only thing I don't like about it is how narrow it is compared to my boat (100" beam). It's not narrow by any means, just not as wide as some of the boats out there. But that helps the wake because you're able to build a great wake without having o sink it, but if you want to, it will handle all the weight you can throw at it. Great boat - buy it, you won't regret it!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-08-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Had an X-1 (same hull as that year X star) for 3 seasons. Great wake, and for a smaller boat, it is a machine. If the boat has been taken care of, I can't really think of any negatives. The boat is not very roomy is the only drawback. Another thing I have noticed, is that people try to get alot of money when selling that style of Xstar. Great boat though.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-09-2009, 4:37 AM Reply   
awesome boat! the wake is spectacular. it's rated for 12 people, but 7 or 8 is the comfortable max in my opinion. not really any negative things about the boat. if it were a few inches wider it'd be nice...but then the wake wouldn't be the same. as long as it is in good shape and mechanically sound i think you'll be totally stoked once you get it on the water and ride behind it.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-09-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
Some would argue the best wake of all time. Just depends on what your looking for. I live .5 miles from our lake so having a big boat is not as big of a deal. It is definitely smaller inside but I have a crew of about 4. Before you buy make sure everything works ballast, PP, etc. Go over it from top to bottom. I would say the stereo is weak if its factory. MC did a crappy job of running 5 speakers off a 4 channel amp.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-09-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Use to have one.
Negs;
Small
ballast wasn't enough
rode like crap in rough water
porpused at higher speeds

Pros;
Great wake when weighted
Handles great
Well built
Has a pretty good ski wake if you only have a driver and passenger at higher speeds(34-36).
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-09-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
Ride in rough water is pretty bad kind of like the rest of the boats at the time. Just now adding 400lb sacks and removing the hard tanks. I think its fine for a lot of riders. Upper level intermediate you will want more weight. I have to say I have not noticed the purposing issue rarely ride at high speeds but did the other day.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
agree with most of what was said. If you add more weight, make sure you get some up in the nose. The hull likes weight up front. I have 400's in the rear hatches, KGB (ski locker), and an integrated bow. That alone puts out a nice wake, but when we have 8 or 9 in the boat with us...very nice. Need to run 22ish+ to get the wash out of the wake when you start adding weight. Some guys on here dump over 3000lbs of weight into these hulls and then the wake is suppose to be sick!
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-02-2009, 8:42 PM Reply   
i have an 02 X-Star it is an awesome boat! has the LTR 330 HP engine, and i put an Acme 1235 prop on it. we fill the stock ballast, and put abt. 300 lbs. in each rear locker and a 1000 lb. bow sac up front. The wake is killer!! we ride with 3-4 ppl. most of the time and have lots of room. boat handles like a corvette. the only boat i will get rid of it for will be a new X-Star ;)
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-03-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
I love mine. Right now running stock ballast with a 750 bag in the bow. Wake is clean and consistent. Like everyone else said, great when weighted down. We usually ride with at least 4-8 people and have plenty of room. Only thing I don't like is the single battery but that will be addressed very soon.
Old     (harris)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-03-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
I just got one last summer. The wake is awesome when you weigh that baby down.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       12-09-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
great all around boat. had one for 3 seasons. can't go wrong, great for the money right now.
Old     (jiicon)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-15-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
great boat only thing I hate about mine is the PP what a pile of crap, i cannaot figure that thing out so inconsistant, but thats minor should be able to figure it out
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-15-2009, 9:27 PM Reply   
jj: reset the whole thing and you will never have another problem, mine was crap forever then i called pp (the number should be on the module under the dash) and they told me how to reset it.

scott: great boat, love mine, never any issues and ive owned mine for about 3 years and put about 350 hours on it. and has constantly have had at least 3000 plus lbs. in it
Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-16-2009, 5:38 PM Reply   
Thanks guys,I bought the boat. It is in great shape. Is the Acme 1235 prop the best way to go?I want to buy a new prop and keep the stock one as a spare. I have the upgraded 330hp engine. Thanks.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-17-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
Scott, I would highly recommend that prop. I have the same setup as you, and the prop is spectacular. Hole shot is awesome. Keeping a consistent speed with 4k lbs of ballast is a breeze...I use "perfect wrist". If you do any skiing or barefooting, you can get to about 35/36 mph I'd say.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-17-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
yup that propo is the one. OJ makes a similar prop as well that is now factory stock. I run the Acme with great results, and they run the OJ with same. Go with whichever one you get the better deal on.