Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-20-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
I know the combo is a bit wierd, but would this amp suffice power wise for these speakers? How would I wire this up if it does work? Bridge channels 1-4 for the pro 60's and channel 5 for the pro485?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-20-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
I think the chnl 5 on that amp is a low-pass only sub-woofer chnl. If so, it will not work for the Pro485. The only way to configure this setup is to run the 2 pro-60s on their own chnls and then bridge the 485 on the remaining 2 full-range chnls
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-20-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
mike sent you a PM
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-20-2014, 11:56 AM Reply   
Of the PPI Phantom series amps the 4 channel one would do a better job with that set up. 145 watts to each 60 and 450 to the 485.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-20-2014, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Of the PPI Phantom series amps the 4 channel one would do a better job with that set up. 145 watts to each 60 and 450 to the 485.
That amplifier would not work either. You have no method of summing the left and right signals into mono other than at the Pro485 voice coils and that would sound terrible. Although, I guess people do it all the time and don't know what terrible sounds like.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-23-2014, 7:15 AM Reply   
David or Hate,
could you give three options then (low, medium, high) for that setup? Or anyone else with some knowledge...

Thanks
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-23-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
David why wouldn't this PPi 900.4 work? It has full range on front and rear, which is what I need for a tower speaker correct?

Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-23-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
Running all 4 channels of either PPI900.4 or .5 will not be enough power. I run the 900.4 bridged to my pro80's & I would still like more. You won't be happy with it
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-23-2014, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanst15 View Post
David or Hate,
could you give three options then (low, medium, high) for that setup? Or anyone else with some knowledge...

Thanks
You can run a bridged Wetsounds Syn4. It correctly bridges fullrange (you will be operating highpass) stereo with a symmetrical signal arriving at the tower speaker terminals.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-23-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
Awesome. Would I attach each 60 to its own channel or bridge them as well?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-23-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Awesome. Would I attach each 60 to its own channel or bridge them as well?
Versus a pair or two pair of tower speakers, it's always a little difficult to ideally power a 3-Some with a single chassis amplifier.
Each 6.5" (Pro60) would have it's own channel with 125 watts into a 4-ohm load with 200 watts going to each 8" (400 watts to the Pro485). It's just a bit lite on the Pro60 power but it is a good amplifier to configure for this job. A step up in power would be the six-channel Wetsounds Syn6 bridged into a three-channel mode.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-23-2014, 6:00 PM Reply   
What about this Power Acoustik amplifier? On paper this is about the same (to me) with about 75% off the price tag of a syn.

4-Channel RAZOR Series Full Range Class D Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 160 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 250 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 500 x 2 chan.
Max power output: 2000 watts x 2 chan.
Pulse Width Modulated MOSFET power supply
LED power (green) and protect (red) indicators
Variable Bass Boost (0 to +12 dB bass boost at 50 Hz)
Soft start turn-on
Mono channel operation
Speaker-level (high-level) inputs
3-way protection circuitry (thermal, overload, and speaker short protection)
Heavy duty aluminum alloy heat-sink for extreme heat dissipation
Nickel-plated RCA level inputs
Nickel-plated screw terminals
Variable high-pass filter (50-250 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
Variable low-pass filter (50-250 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
4 gauge power and ground wiring is required for installation. Contact us for information regarding a discount on select amplifier kits from our website when purchased together with this amplifier.
Dimensions: 4-3/4"W x 11-1/10"L x 1-1/3"H
Authorized Internet Dealer
1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-24-2014, 6:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
What about this Power Acoustik amplifier? On paper this is about the same (to me) with about 75% off the price tag of a syn.

4-Channel RAZOR Series Full Range Class D Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 160 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 250 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 500 x 2 chan.
Max power output: 2000 watts x 2 chan.
Pulse Width Modulated MOSFET power supply
LED power (green) and protect (red) indicators
Variable Bass Boost (0 to +12 dB bass boost at 50 Hz)
Soft start turn-on
Mono channel operation
Speaker-level (high-level) inputs
3-way protection circuitry (thermal, overload, and speaker short protection)
Heavy duty aluminum alloy heat-sink for extreme heat dissipation
Nickel-plated RCA level inputs
Nickel-plated screw terminals
Variable high-pass filter (50-250 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
Variable low-pass filter (50-250 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
4 gauge power and ground wiring is required for installation. Contact us for information regarding a discount on select amplifier kits from our website when purchased together with this amplifier.
Dimensions: 4-3/4"W x 11-1/10"L x 1-1/3"H
Authorized Internet Dealer
1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
Fixed frequency 80 Hz. crossover (not variable as specs say). Molex connector for outputs. No way to get a mixed mono signal to the bridged speaker. Not a chance that amplifier meets spec. You get what you pay for.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-24-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
I figured it wouldn't because it was so cheap. Thanks, David for your great advice.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-24-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
Decided to go with the JL audio 600/4. I just need to wire the pro 485. I have a clarion eq and an Alpine HU. Should 16 gauge speaker wire do the trick or do I need to go lower? Also do I just run them straight to the amp from the tower? I also need a nutrix connector right?

Thanks for the help.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-24-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Decided to go with the JL audio 600/4. I just need to wire the pro 485. I have a clarion eq and an Alpine HU. Should 16 gauge speaker wire do the trick or do I need to go lower? Also do I just run them straight to the amp from the tower? I also need a nutrix connector right?

Thanks for the help.
Good choice on the JL Audio HD600/4. Dual power supplies (like two 2-channel amplifiers in one chassis). Strictly regulated so it will deliver rated power at minimum with all levels of voltage supply. Highest speed & best Class D available. The only 4-channel that will get equal power to all four midbass drivers.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2014, 5:42 PM Reply   
David, what do you mean it can't be summed in mono?

Jeff, good choice on the amp. Sorry I haven't revisited this thread in a bit.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-26-2014, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
David, what do you mean it can't be summed in mono?

Jeff, good choice on the amp. Sorry I haven't revisited this thread in a bit.
Hate,
Low impedance preamp outputs must only be connected to high impedance inputs. If you tie the L & R outputs together in an attempt to sum mono and populate both the amplifier L & R inputs with a summed and symmetrical signal, then each output driver tries to drive into the low impedance output of the alternate channel, versus the high impedance input. This forces both outputs beyond their current limitation and has the potential for damage, not to mention distortion. So you need an amplifier with the correct internal configuration circuitry or an external buffered summing circuit. Without summing the inputs to mono you get an asymmetrical signal that isn't summed until it arrives at the speaker voice coil....and that sounds absolutely nasty. But you would be shocked to discover how many run a fullrange bridged signal incorrectly, yet don't seem to recognize nasty.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-29-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
How can you tell if an amp sums correctly?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-29-2014, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
How can you tell if an amp sums correctly?
With certainty the Wetsounds SD and Syn amplifers will correctly bridge for lowpass subs, fullrange, highpass, and a four channel amplifier whether bridged in a two or three channel mode or any combination of Low, Full or HighPass because they have all options covered with the configuration switches. Beyond that, you have to understand the internal topology in order to manage the application amplifier by amplifier. And some require external circuits to do it correctly.
A good ME dealer that knows his preferred lines should know how to do it correctly.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-01-2014, 1:05 PM Reply   
Can anyone help with the wiring of the speakers to the amp. I have an amp there already that I will just be replacing so it will pretty much be plug and play. Quality 4 gauge and speaker wire from my other speakers will already be there.

1. Am I just summing the rear channels in a bridged mono connection?

2. Will 14g work for the new speaker wire to the pro485?

3. I will need a nuetrix connector correct?

Jeff
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-01-2014, 1:17 PM Reply   
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the amp. Looking at the Exile XM15.4 and that seems like a nice fit also? David and Hate what do you think about the exile v. the HD600/4?
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-02-2014, 7:10 AM Reply   
bump
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-03-2014, 5:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the amp. Looking at the Exile XM15.4 and that seems like a nice fit also? David and Hate what do you think about the exile v. the HD600/4?
The JL Audio HD600/4 is strictly regulated and will deliver its full rated power over a broad range of supply voltages, with a broad range of load impedances. It will also deliver its full rated power over the full audio bandwidth and with ALL channels driven. Note: this is very different from one voltage, one frequency, one channel driven at a time, and one load impedance. The JL Audio HD600/4 has dual power supplies so it is like two 2-channel amplifiers in a single chassis. Class D is an analog switching amplifier. The JL Audio HD switches at the highest speed and has the most sophisticated single cycle (proprietary licensed) feedback circuitry. This amplifier line is engineered by a JL Audio domestic team that has also designed some of the great amplifiers of years past, such as the early Precision Power or Xtant. Not too many products that you can include in this discussion.

Get with Odin at Earmark Marine for your purchase. He fully understands the internal topology of the products that he carries and will guide you in the correct way to bridge a 4-channel amplifier based on one of the three possible applications.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-03-2014, 5:32 PM Reply   
David,i have the pro three-some with two pro-80s and a 485.

I have two amps, polk 5000.5 and polk 2000.2. I currently am powering the two pro 80s and a sub with the 5 channel and the 485 with the two channel. Shoukd i switch it so the 485 is getting power from 4 of the 5 channels of the 5000.5 and simply power the pro 80s with each channel of the 2000.2?

Or would it make a difference? Thanks
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-03-2014, 5:45 PM Reply   
After looking at your amps online you have them wired in the best way possible, IMO.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-03-2014, 6:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
David,i have the pro three-some with two pro-80s and a 485.

I have two amps, polk 5000.5 and polk 2000.2. I currently am powering the two pro 80s and a sub with the 5 channel and the 485 with the two channel. Shoukd i switch it so the 485 is getting power from 4 of the 5 channels of the 5000.5 and simply power the pro 80s with each channel of the 2000.2?

Or would it make a difference? Thanks
The 485, while having two midbass drivers, only has a single input. So that won't work.
You can bridge the 2000.2 into a single fullrange or highpass speaker but unlike a subwoofer scenario where the signal is already mono you will have a mismatched signal that will not get summed until the speaker voice coils. And that sounds dirty. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-03-2014, 7:12 PM Reply   
Ok thanks for the response! I think it sounds good but my ears are not used to anything better