Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
Looking at a 2000 dd cal air and wondering if it rides rough in choppy water? Also how is the wake? It does have the pure very but no jump seats.

Thanks for the advice
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-31-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
So many people will define "rough" differently...A dd will almost always ride rough as none are very large or very heavy boats. Pick a windy or busy day and go test drive it. See for yourself if it is acceptable.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2013, 11:27 AM Reply   
i will if i get serious about buying but it is a bit of a drive from here hence the reason i am polling people. here is my experience...I have owned a sanger and it was nice, malibu vlx was nice. nautique 2001 was ok. mastercraft 190 is horrible.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-31-2013, 11:53 AM Reply   
They are a DD and pretty flat in the back, so on plain they are going to be pretty rough. Probably be similar to the 2001 and Prostar 190.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-31-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
They are a DD and pretty flat in the back, so on plain they are going to be pretty rough. Probably be similar to the 2001 and Prostar 190.
That is probably solid advice. That along with the fact that you had a Sanger (which one?) so you know they all have more of a 'V' all the way to the back vs whatever the cal air is should answer your question.

You can't compare it to a Vdrive though. My sanger DLX rode much worse than my flat Mastercraft X2.
Old     (ffmedic74)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-31-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
Take your time driving about 18 mph.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2013, 1:32 PM Reply   
really you're DLX did not have a good rough water ride?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-31-2013, 3:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
really you're DLX did not have a good rough water ride?
The Sanger DLX is probably arguably one of the best DD rough water handling boats but my X2 is way smoother in the rough stuff. That was all I was saying, since you had both DD's and Vdrives on your list...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-31-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
If you could throw a trim tab on the Cal-Air to replace the manual plate I think it could be a pertty good rough water boat. It has a very steep deadrise the front half of the hull. While it does go flat towards the rear if you could keep the nose down in rough water it should ride ok. I had one and the biggest problem was that the bow was so close to the water that it scooped water like a shovel. Me and my friends actually called it the submarine.