Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-23-2014, 11:25 AM Reply   
Any luck ever getting a pin "un-seized"? I've tried PB Blaster, torches, and banging the hell out of it.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400869452.040380.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  154.9 KB

And yes I understand the irony of the warning sticker. Trailer was like this when I purchased it.

Last edited by dhill; 05-23-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
Cut it off and drill it out
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-23-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
I'd try to get it to spin first and break up the rust. If that won't do it cut the top off, heat it with a torch and hit it with a punch and mini sledge?

Good luck! I bet that pin stays greased from now on!
Old     (ffmedic74)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-23-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
Try taking the bolt side out and see if the unit will swivel from the opposite side to break it loose.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-23-2014, 7:39 PM Reply   
pry bar in the handle and rotate it.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-23-2014, 7:54 PM Reply   
Mine did the same thing a few years ago. I tried spinning it and the handle end broke off clean at the trailer. Hammering didn't work either. I had to drill it out which took awhile. Replaced it with a zinc plated one from Lowes and haven't had a problem again. The factory pins aren't zinc coated so they tend to seize easily if left in for long periods of time.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-23-2014, 8:07 PM Reply   
spray it down with some of that anti-sieze stuff over a few days and let it soak. That might do it. I've had success with that stuff at times that has really surprised me.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-23-2014, 10:51 PM Reply   
The best lubricant to break stuff loose is actually a 50/50 mixture of transmission fluid and acetone (nail polish remover). Be careful with it because it can dissolve plastics and strip paint. Using the less potent nail polish remover instead of straight acetone will lessen those effects to some degree, but you still have to be careful.
Basically mix both in a spray bottle, shake it up and spray it on. It works great for really stuck on stuff that regular spray lubes won't quite work on. Just be careful with it, masking the area of anything you don't want it on is advised.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home...netrating-oil/
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-24-2014, 5:50 AM Reply   
The auto store sells this freeze off stuff. I've gotten all sorts of seized things to break free with that.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       05-24-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
Have you tried sticking a metal rod through the orange hole and twisting it that way? Maybe spray it down and then stick a bar through to get some more torque on it while spinning it out. Have a buddy also wiggle the tongue while you're trying to twist it out. That will help sometimes, if it doesn't, drill it.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-24-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
I'd try putting a jack right on the bottom of the pin and forcing it up along with that break free lube. As pressure is applied I'd hit the side of it and maybe the top with a rubber mallet. Maybe a little heat to the sleeved part would expand that metal just enough without getting to the pin and expanding it as well.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-24-2014, 10:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffmedic74 View Post
Try taking the bolt side out and see if the unit will swivel from the opposite side to break it loose.
Best advice.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-24-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
I'd cut it flus, get my hands on a mag drill and drill it out. Had to do that on my last trailer. The beauty of the mag drill is that you can be super accurate, so just need to replace the pin.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-28-2014, 4:16 AM Reply   
All - thank you for the suggestions....will try all from the easiest to hardest. I have removed the bolt and the tongue swings easily to the port side of the boat. I've also tried rotating it using a steel rod, to the point it has bent the dipped handle (tough to see in the photo), but stopped as soon as I felt it would not work. Thinking I will start with this one first....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
I'd try putting a jack right on the bottom of the pin and forcing it up along with that break free lube. As pressure is applied I'd hit the side of it and maybe the top with a rubber mallet. Maybe a little heat to the sleeved part would expand that metal just enough without getting to the pin and expanding it as well.
Than will likely move to this one....
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcarlaw1 View Post
I'd cut it flus, get my hands on a mag drill and drill it out. Had to do that on my last trailer. The beauty of the mag drill is that you can be super accurate, so just need to replace the pin.
And finally....
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
Replaced it with a zinc plated one from Lowes and haven't had a problem again. The factory pins aren't zinc coated so they tend to seize easily if left in for long periods of time.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-28-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
Ive used the jack method to push one out before after winter. It works but make sure its completely level or you'll tweak the pin. Use a scissor jack not a floor jack.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-28-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
Ive used the jack method to push one out before after winter. It works but make sure its completely level or you'll tweak the pin. Use a scissor jack not a floor jack.
great advice, thank you!