Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (troberts2)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-26-2017, 7:17 AM Reply   
I've been seeing a lot of people recommended riding a bigger board these days, I'm just curious as to why? Mind you, I'm a little guy, 5'6 140ish. I've always rode a 134-138 and was wondering if it would benefit me on going bigger? I'm in the market for a board, just looking for suggestions to the pros/cons of a bigger board for someone my size.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-26-2017, 7:52 AM Reply   
to me its less about better or worse and more about how you want to ride. both have pros and cons and make your style look different.
Old     (troberts2)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-26-2017, 8:19 AM Reply   
I'm an aggressive rider if I had to guess my style. I like taking tricks out into the flats.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-26-2017, 8:35 AM Reply   
So i stepped up to the 143 standard (I'm 5'11", 180lbs). TBH I change my mind all the time on my board preferences but for the moment I like riding my normal stance with that longer tip and tail. Its just more fun to grab that way I think. Also over all surface area in theory would give you more pop and smoother landings, at least thats what everyone says. The downside is more swing weight. That I really think I slightly noticed initially but for me I overcame it and its all the same. A 141 or 142 is worth a shot though. You'll never know, unless you try,
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-26-2017, 8:46 AM Reply   
I ride boards that are true to size or a little bigger. I think it makes landings a little easier and the additional swing weight is quickly made up for cleaner landings. I'm 5-9 170. I ride a 140, but I am about to hop on a 145. I'm doing that for fun. I think a 140 is still the right fit for me.

That said. I drove the pick-up boat for the Jr Pro Men's at the Malibu Tour in Houston. I was shocked to see guy your size and bigger opting for the smaller boards. These guys absolutely smashing it on 135 and smaller and I'd say the average dude was 150-160.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-26-2017, 8:51 AM Reply   
Justin - I'm glad you said that. I have always wondered what those guys set ups looked like. I would imagine trying to tug around a blind pete in a contest you would want all the help you could get. These guys spin like tops so its not that surprising they ride small sticks.
Old     (troberts2)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-26-2017, 9:28 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses, I doubt I get over 150ish anytime soon so I may just stick with a 135-137 range depending on which board I end up with.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       01-26-2017, 12:33 PM Reply   
From a physics standpoint, I would think that a bigger board gives you softer landings, smoother transitions (edge to edge), less tiring because it rides higher, and potentially more pop. The reason I say potentially is that with the same amount of force, I would guess that the smaller board gives more pop. It's easier to dig it in. But the bigger board has more pop potential if you have more strength to actually dig it in just as much.

On the other hand a small board would spin easier, be easier to grab, easier and faster edge changes, and just more nimble overall. If your a pro that has landings down, it seems pretty obvious that you most likely want the smaller board. They will derive much more benefit from faster maneuverability and spinning, than from possibly more pop and easier landings. They got those last 2 down already. The rest of us would probably benefit from the bigger boards softer landing and stability.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-26-2017, 3:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
Justin - I'm glad you said that. I have always wondered what those guys set ups looked like. I would imagine trying to tug around a blind pete in a contest you would want all the help you could get. These guys spin like tops so its not that surprising they ride small sticks.
That was for the Jr Men's pros. I see a lot of pros, especially freeride "pros," riding the larger boards.