Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       10-04-2016, 10:16 AM Reply   
I'm looking to replace an older Ronix William. I'm an older rider and mostly enjoy w2w jumps, 180s, 360s, fun surface tricks.

I'm looking for a consistent board for intermediate rider, soft landings and a faster feelling board. Consistent easy pop and soft landings being most important.

I rode a Humanoid Oracle which I thought was okay. I tried a Ronix One but the landings felt harsh at times. I've done the camber Space Blanket that felt very soft on landings.

Some have recommended the Blue PIll but I haven't had a chance to try it. Any thoughts on the Blue Pill?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-04-2016, 10:35 AM Reply   
Try the Humanoid Chris Oshea! It's got all of the characteristics that you're looking for
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-06-2016, 6:38 AM Reply   
Haven't ridden the blue pill but I just got out on a SS Response. Absolutely loved it. Board was very fast and maintained its speed on landings. Playfull, super poppy, and super soft landings. I currently ride on an older LF S4 board and get to ride a lot of the new boards. Nothing from the Major brands really compares. The Blue Pill is a little bit stiffer than the response, but I think either or board would be great for what you want.
Old     (harry_cho)      Join Date: Jul 2016       10-08-2016, 8:04 AM Reply   
for your request. I will suggest you Ronix Park or Slingshot respones
Old     (LFMCrider6)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-10-2016, 4:09 AM Reply   
I love my blue pill soft landings pops nice off the wake. You will love it.
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-10-2016, 4:43 AM Reply   
I'd also suggest the Slingshot Response
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-10-2016, 5:07 AM Reply   
I always reccomend the response in situations like this.

Nice wide range of sizes
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-10-2016, 5:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Try the Humanoid Chris Oshea! It's got all of the characteristics that you're looking for
How do you like the O'Shea be the 1up. Is it as loose and playful?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-10-2016, 5:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
How do you like the O'Shea be the 1up. Is it as loose and playful?
It's just as loose as the 1up. I run it with the 2 point seven fins on each side. It's the best boat board I've ever ridden. For 2017, the name changed to the The Cameo. Slightly different top deck and layup, but same base shape.
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-10-2016, 11:52 AM Reply   
Haven't ridden a Ronix William, but the Blue Pill is my current boat board. I really enjoy it, but it "softer landings" and "faster feeling" is NOT how i would describe it. It is the stiffest board and most aggressive rocker of anything in Slingshot's lineup. I agree with the above posters. The Response is going to fit your description much better.
Old     (Cyberwarm)      Join Date: Sep 2015       10-11-2016, 3:47 PM Reply   
I've had Ronix One Modello, Hyperlite Kruz and Slingshot Response. Now I ride Blue Pill. Blue Pill and Ronix One kind close, I'd say in same league. But Blue Pill doesn't make you tired. You can ride it a lot of time. Also it's not as locked in as Ronix. My short reviews:

1. Ronix One Modello 2014 - locked in feel, average speed, great pop, closer to soft landings.

2. Hyperlite Kruz 2015 - totally locked in, extremely fast, great pop, hard landings, you'll get tired really fast riding this board.

3. Slingshot Response 2015 - super fun to ride cuz of flat bottom (sometimes unpredictable), mellow pop, soft landings, low speed.

4. Slingshot Blue Pill 2015 - fun to ride (almost flat, simple bottom), but very controllable, great pop, soft landings, speed is between high and average, you won't get tired riding this board. I ride it with Ronix One 2014 bindings. For w2w, flat tricks, 180, 360 this is nearly perfect board.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       10-11-2016, 7:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for info cyber

Looks like I will get to test the Pill this weekend. Hoping weather is good.
Old     (2002SupraLaunch)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-12-2016, 3:13 PM Reply   
I'm in similar situation and have been trying to decided between the Recoil, Response, Blue Pill and the Nomad. I just bought the recoil because i was able to get a 2015 model for $146. It won't stop me from purchasing one of the other boards as I know i can resell and get my money back.

Question: What boot/binding would you recommend.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       10-12-2016, 3:21 PM Reply   
I always liked the fit of the Ronix. Ones are on the stiff side and Parks on the flex side....but I saw the new Slingshot bindings with the gummy straps. I have to admit I like the thought of not messing with string laces.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       10-13-2016, 9:00 AM Reply   
I owned a 15' Blue Pill from 8/2015 to 6/2016. I rode this with a set of 2013 Ronix One Boots.

Previously I was on a 2013 Ronix One ATR. Going to the Blue Pill, I didn't feel nearly as locked in. Way more loose on the water. This can be a good or bad thing. Depends on your riding. I liked it a lot for spins and surface tricks, but missed my hard edge for inverts. The Blue Pill was softer on landings than my One was though, if that is what is most important. For me, I ended up dumping the Blue Pill on craiglist and jumping on a 15' Ronix Code 22 w/ 15' One boots. I'm happier now.

All that said, it sounds like you might love the Blue Pill for what you're going for. It is fast. It is softer on landings. It is loose/fun for surface tricks.

Last edited by theloungelife; 10-13-2016 at 9:02 AM.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       10-17-2016, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
I owned a 15' Blue Pill from 8/2015 to 6/2016. I rode this with a set of 2013 Ronix One Boots.

Previously I was on a 2013 Ronix One ATR. Going to the Blue Pill, I didn't feel nearly as locked in. Way more loose on the water. This can be a good or bad thing. Depends on your riding. I liked it a lot for spins and surface tricks, but missed my hard edge for inverts. The Blue Pill was softer on landings than my One was though, if that is what is most important. For me, I ended up dumping the Blue Pill on craiglist and jumping on a 15' Ronix Code 22 w/ 15' One boots. I'm happier now.

All that said, it sounds like you might love the Blue Pill for what you're going for. It is fast. It is softer on landings. It is loose/fun for surface tricks.
Rode the Pill and the Space Blanket over the weekend. You are spot on with your description. I really enjoyed the PIll for my limited bag of tricks.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-18-2016, 9:53 AM Reply   
Hey how does the Blue Compare to a recoil? I have a recoil and original lyman.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       12-17-2016, 1:42 PM Reply   
So was going to pull the trigger on the Pill. I am 153lbs. Any input as to size? Looks like I would be on the 138.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       12-17-2016, 3:35 PM Reply   
How tall are you? I'm 5'11" 170 and was on the 142.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       12-17-2016, 6:51 PM Reply   
5'7"
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       12-18-2016, 10:21 AM Reply   
I bet the 138 would be good then.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       05-01-2017, 9:58 AM Reply   
Does the Slingshot response have a flat bottom? It say s on their site it has an elliptical? Not sure what they mean by that.
I have ridden the Pill and it has a slight spin running lengthwise on the bottom.
Any input on the bottom of the Response?
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-01-2017, 4:11 PM Reply   
The bottom is flat, just a smooth surface. The elliptical concave refers the shape of the bottom. If you look at it from the tip of the board the bottom will have a shape of an eclipse, well half and eclipse. It is probably very difficult to see though. I absolutely love the response, super smooth fun responsive board that is slick on the water when you want it to be.