Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-08-2015, 8:48 PM Reply   
Looking to spend around 100k on a boat. My family wakeboards 40%, surfs 30%, tubes 15% and skis 15%. We really like the Mastercraft x30 as the fit and finish is second to none and the surf wave is phenomenal. The wakeboard wake was hard to test because the water was so rough during ourdemo but it seemed very good. I'm not a fantastic wakeboarder but I am just starting to land my first inverts. Nautique is not an option do to the lack of a pylon but any suggestions are appreciated.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-09-2015, 3:35 AM Reply   
Malibu Wakesetter VLX. Haven't tried the new 22' model (since 2015), but the 2013-2014 do it all and do it well.

Of course as far as skiing goes, no-one is talking slalom course level wake (or lack thereof). But for wakeboarding and surfing, it's got so many possibilities for all levels of riding too.
Old    BamaMojo            09-09-2015, 5:30 AM Reply   
I would also look at The Supra SG.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-09-2015, 6:16 AM Reply   
MC when you say lack of a pylon what are you referring too? The pop up pylon on the transom for tubing? Nautique does have this, it's recessed into the transom and actually used to hang the boat when swapping out trailers or working on the hull so it's plenty strong to tie off a tube. By all means at the end of the day get what suits your needs and family the best regardless of money, but if the pylon is the only thing stopping you from a Nautique you should take a second look.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-09-2015, 6:18 AM Reply   
Let me correct that I apologize, the G's do not have the pop they use the outside rings, but if you look at the center grab handle slightly above the swim platform, that is used for tubing.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-09-2015, 7:36 AM Reply   
We have an X30...does all those things well
You should be able to find a 2014 with few hours and a lot of Warranty left for under $90 on a trailer ...Possibly a left over new 2015 X30 on a trailer for closer to $100k
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-09-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
The sg is a great boat but a little big and it doesn't handle like a Malibu or mastercraft. Dave O I will definitely look into a pylon on a 230 but there is one on my lake and I have never seen them go without a rope which makes me concerned about the surf wave.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-09-2015, 9:41 AM Reply   
There are some guys on here that have shown good pictures of the X30 wakeboard wake. I think this wake, seeing the pictures, would enable any beginner to intermediate to progress, and the wake will never hold them back.

One kind word of advice though - I would take the advice of anyone on this forum with a grain of salt when it came to ACTUALLY spending $100,000. You have your needs, if you like the X30, I think that'd be a great boat to buy.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       09-09-2015, 9:43 AM Reply   
MC, have you driven an SG? Or are you just speaking from what others have told you?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-09-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
Yeah as others have said. Take your time on this. For sure demo demo demo! Weight the boat how u plan on using it. Go out with forum member and ride their boats to get a much better idea than what a dealer will give u. My guess is very few people actually ride behind the boat when demoing. They see it from the boat and call it good or bad.
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-09-2015, 10:00 AM Reply   
Rusty, I am just going off of what others have said but the sg is also a little big. Do you have personal experience driving one. I thought both the x30 and vlx handled much better than the g I was in.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-09-2015, 10:21 AM Reply   
MC - Go check out the Supra's. Totally different animal now than they used to be. They handle every bit as good as a Malibu and better than a Mastercraft. Your statement would hold true to the older Supra's though. If the SG is too big check out the SC. It will do all sports well and handles great. Either way, with your budget you should have lots of awesome options, so demo demo demo and have fun doing it. Also, get a good dealer that will support you down the pike......
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-09-2015, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC View Post
Rusty, I am just going off of what others have said but the sg is also a little big. Do you have personal experience driving one. I thought both the x30 and vlx handled much better than the g I was in.
I am assuming you mean SG in your above comment. Did the person demoing the SG with you let you drive it?

Everyone's tolerances for handling are different too - I would need to drive and dock all boats weighted and unweighted to determine if there are characteristics that I didn't like.

The SG is 23'8" without platform. The X30 is 23'4" (presumably) without the platform. The Nautique 230 is 23'-1.5". The Malibu VLX 22 is 21'10", the LSV is 23'. They are all the same width, except for the Nautique being 100" wide. So all of them are roughly the same size.

Now if one boat "feels" too big or too small on a handling or other basis, that's why you NEED to DRIVE them both. I have been on demos in the past where the dealer drove and demonstrated. If it was me now, I wouldn't even let the dealer drive the boat out of the no wake zone.

One point to make - you should compare the Malibu LSV to these other boats as the VLX 22 actually isn't even 22' long, it is 21'10".

You are correct that the Nautiques do not appear to have a ski pylon - I looked it up in their owners manual as this seemed curious to me. They have a stern towsports tow point, but that would not be my preference as anyone who skis knows that the point at which you connect to the boat affects the way that boat tracks if you are actually out there trying to make some good cuts free-skiing. I would not want my tow point to be located on the stern. Someone above made reference to using the stern lifting ring, this again would not be my preference for skiing/tubing.

The Nautique with nautique surf system and factory ballast should be more than capable of surfing with no rope. I'd not form an opinion based on one family you saw that maybe didn't know what they were doing. These boats nowadays are all capable of surfing ropeless with factory ballast and their respective surf systems.

Nordicron makes a good point too. Not every owner will want to optimize or maximize their wake with extra ballast, but you may want to add extra. For me, personally, I would not be after demoing a slammed boat, or empty boat. Somewhere as a happy medium of stock ballast plus some plug n play is where I would like to be in a boat if I were to buy. You might be different. Evaluate what you want.

Your skills might also lend themselves to not needing, or requiring extra ballast. Many times people get sucked in by "this boat has more ballast and a bigger wake" when that really isn't want they need.

I posted the spec sheets below so you can compare and contrast. Good luck.

Btw, dealer is everything.

Duane

http://www.mastercraft.com/boat/detail/x30
http://www.supraboats.com/2016-supra-sg-400-550
http://www.nautique.com/models/super-air-nautique-230/
http://www.malibuboats.com/boats/wakesetter/23-lsv.html
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-09-2015, 10:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
MC - Go check out the Supra's. Totally different animal now than they used to be. They handle every bit as good as a Malibu and better than a Mastercraft. Your statement would hold true to the older Supra's though. If the SG is too big check out the SC. It will do all sports well and handles great. Either way, with your budget you should have lots of awesome options, so demo demo demo and have fun doing it. Also, get a good dealer that will support you down the pike......
These types of blanket statements are why I suggest people take advice with a grain of salt from this site. I just don't believe that statement.

I've only driven an SSV22, never had an issue with it's handling. I never have had an issue with any towboats handling though. 20 years of towboat and inboard driving with thousands of hours at the helm make my experience different, but anyway.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-09-2015, 1:41 PM Reply   
^ Ya, I definitely do not agree either. I have driven an SG on a couple occasions this year, and would say it handles very well. It does not, however, handle like a Malibu. Nothing that I have ever driven does....... Including the X30. And I would say the X30 is right between those two. Something like the X23, is way behind those in handling, but rides like a Cadillac.

At the end of the day, I don't care anyway. I didn't buy a tow boat for the handling. I would much rather have a smooth ride. Malibu's are certainly the best handling tow boats on the water, but they also have the roughest ride. That style hull has pluses and minuses. The biggest thing I like about the deeper Vs, is that waves/rollers/chop effect the attitude of the boat less. Less movement of the hull, means a smoother wave behind. The biggest thing I like about the shallower V's is the ease in weighting/balancing them. No hull design gives you both. Lots of hulls that are a happy medium though....... And the SG is one of them.
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-09-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
Will definitely take another look at the SG. For some reason I thought i was 24'8". i do have concerns about crossover capability but it is clearly highly regarded. However, I have talked to a couple people who have purchased moombas from the nearest dealer and they where extremely unhappy with the experience. Definitely will check it out for myself though.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       09-09-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   
MC, where are you located?
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-09-2015, 5:00 PM Reply   
Just got some very attractive prices on a leftover 2015 x30 and a 2015 23lsv, supra dealer did not pick up the phone. Of the these two which has a better wakeboard and surf wave? I know the x30 surf wave is fantastic having just recently demoed one. However, I mentioned earlier that I could not really make out how the boat wakeboarded. I also recently spent some time behind a friends t22 axis. The wake was big but seemed to have no transition and was very abrupt. I was dissapointed with surfgate also. I know the boats are very different (the lsv and t22) but was wondering if these problems carried over. Does anyone have any real-world experience behind the x30 and lsv?
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-09-2015, 7:03 PM Reply   
X30 dialed in, we don't wake Board, but it always looks nice when we cruise with Surf Ballast at 23 mph...
Attached Images

Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-10-2015, 10:00 AM Reply   
Great pic. I loved the x30 surf wave. Anybody have experience behind the lsv. Also want to know about wakeboard wakes.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-10-2015, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Great pic. I loved the x30 surf wave. Anybody have experience behind the lsv. Also want to know about wakeboard wakes.
Go demo them.

I am an intermediate rider - can do 3 out of 4 basic inverts, 360s, some 540s. Smash double ups and spin off them.

All of these boats you have listed make GREAT wakes, even with stock ballast. I ride at times a 2011 VLX with stock ballast, power wedge plus a 400lb bow sac - this wake is all I would ever personally need. Your needs or wants might be different.
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-10-2015, 1:43 PM Reply   
going to demo the lsv this weekend. wanted opinions on what to look for. already demoed the x30 but the dealer is on an extremely rough lake so good wakeboarding is hard. looking for real world experience wakeboarding behind an x30
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-10-2015, 9:50 PM Reply   
Well, I guess I will have to chime in, seems no one who owns an X-30 wakeboards except me. Surfin

So the wakeboard wake on the X-30 is going to be a more mellow and consistent wake verus a steep but finiky wake. It is very easy to keep clean and can grow as bis as you want it. For beginners it cleans up around 17mph and when weighted like crazy it's still clean at 22mph although we usually ride it at 22.4. It reminds me of an Axis wake actually (I have ridden the A22 and T23).

When weighted correctly, the wake is excellent. Big, rampy with great transition and long landing zones. I really love the wake on this boat. Here are a bunch of pics of the wake. the first one is stock at 21mph and the rest are stock 1k plus 1500 PnP plus about 500 in lead at 22.5Mph.

I have put 500 hours on the new X30 hull and although it is marketed as a surf boat it is a top tier wakeboard boat too. There was a recent article in Wakeboard Magazine that featured the X-30 and it described the wake perfectly.

Good luck. All nice boats.
Attached Images

Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-11-2015, 4:52 AM Reply   
Nothing wrong with that wake 501. I'd love to ride behind a x30! How far back can u ride that wake at say 22.5?
Old    BamaMojo            09-11-2015, 8:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post

Or the new SA
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-11-2015, 12:28 PM Reply   
That SE in that classifieds looks pretty good ....
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-11-2015, 1:31 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrong because I think supras are great boats. I just don't want to deal with the dealer and there bad reputation. I got really good prices on the x30 and lsv so those are my two finalists. Nothing against supra because they are great but right now I'm choosing between the x30 and the lsv
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-12-2015, 1:07 PM Reply   
Hey Ron, ya it's a very fun wake.

So at about 22.5 you can ride 70-75 feet back. The wake on the X30 is a little on the wider side. It's also a boat that is at its biggest and best at slower speeds like 21.5-22.5 versus faster speed like 24-25.
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-13-2015, 7:42 PM Reply   
LW could I see a closer up view of that stock wake. Also how does PnP work with the computer system. Thanks for all your help.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-19-2015, 1:44 PM Reply   
Here are a couple pics. Just the boat, driver and 600lbs in lead. No passengers. No ballast. 20mph.
Attached Images

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-19-2015, 1:48 PM Reply   
Same setup at 22mph, zero ballast.
Attached Images

Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-20-2015, 10:01 PM Reply   
Looks great. Just bought a leftover 2015 x30 and couldn't be more excited thanks for all your help
Old    BamaMojo            09-22-2015, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
If you buy Bu LSV 23 buy the 16 model. I have been told that the 13-15 have many electrical issues. Btw, a Bu dealer gave me this info...just passing along
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
My requirements for wakeboat handling:

Does it drive in a straight line? Yes
Does it have a steering wheel? Yes
Does it porpoise? No

Okay we're good.

If handling was important we'd all own direct drive boats.

Last edited by jarrod; 09-23-2015 at 8:18 AM. Reason: because
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2015, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
My requirements for wakeboat handling:

Does it drive in a straight line? Yes
Does it have a steering wheel? Yes
Does it porpoise? No

Okay we're good.

If handling was important we'd all own direct drive boats.
That must be what people mean when they say it handles like a Ferrari?
Old     (nittyp)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-28-2015, 3:17 PM Reply   
AXIS A24. You can get one with almost every option including a 400+ HP motor for around $70k, and with tax $80k and still have $20k to spend on gear, gas or whatever. New boat, warranty, and you can pick what colors etc. you want.
Old     (Lakehaney)      Join Date: May 2012       10-10-2015, 7:08 AM Reply   
I have a 2015 X30 and my friend has the 2015 LSV. Both are great boats and you can't go wrong with either. I will be selling the X30 if your interested.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-13-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
Name:  IMG_3279.jpg
Views: 2512
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3263 (1).jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  44.0 KB

My new 2016 LSV.
I dont have any wakeboarding pics, but it has a very nice transition, and more wake than most can handle. And the wake board wake is clean on both sides @ 18mph (maybe even slower).

Surfgate is so easy! Load the ballast full and pick what side you wanna surf. ( I have found that the wave shape is better with a little extra weight on surf side)

The new wedge works awesome too, and has a "lift" feature that gets you on plan quick, and saves on gas.

We tested, and drove so many boats in seach of the best surf wave, and we found it! And the wake board wake is the classic awesome MALIBU wake board wake!

There are so many good boats out there, you just have to make a list of what's important to, and what you want! THEM DEMO, DEMO!
After that it was obvious to my family who the winner was!

Happy hunting!
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-13-2015, 10:01 AM Reply   
Oh, and im prob about 15-20ft from the back of the boat. The wave is just flat out big!
#2900 of ballast, and 4-5 people in the boat (most on surf side)
Old    BamaMojo            10-13-2015, 7:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshesaid View Post
Attachment 39982

Attachment 39983

My new 2016 LSV.

I dont have any wakeboarding pics, but it has a very nice transition, and more wake than most can handle. And the wake board wake is clean on both sides @ 18mph (maybe even slower).

Surfgate is so easy! Load the ballast full and pick what side you wanna surf. ( I have found that the wave shape is better with a little extra weight on surf side)

The new wedge works awesome too, and has a "lift" feature that gets you on plan quick, and saves on gas.

We tested, and drove so many boats in seach of the best surf wave, and we found it! And the wake board wake is the classic awesome MALIBU wake board wake!

There are so many good boats out there, you just have to make a list of what's important to, and what you want! THEM DEMO, DEMO!

After that it was obvious to my family who the winner was!

Happy hunting!

Beautiful boat! Make sure to post ole try of pics and keep us updated on the mods!!!
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       06-13-2016, 10:23 PM Reply   
Just got to 25 hours on the new x30 and I have to say it has exceeded all of my expectations. The surf wave is crazy which I knew it would be and the wakeboard wake just blew out of the water. I couldn't be more happy.