Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Curtdog)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-06-2014, 10:02 PM Reply   
What are your thoughts for both Moomba and Axis being in the same ballpark price wise? Anything else to consider? Maybe used? Have been looking at 2014 for both. Like the interior of the new Axis 2015..
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-06-2014, 11:05 PM Reply   
Both have new hulls and new features for 2015 making them even more closely matched boats (Mojo versus A22). Personally, I'd lean to the 2015's.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-07-2014, 5:08 AM Reply   
This could be a loaded question, kinda like ford vs chevy. For me it comes down to what i like. Think about what dealers are near, service and warranty work as well. To me that plays allot on my decision as well. I would have to say a new Mojo over an axis. I have my reasons for this tho.. Moomba has come a long way and have put out a great boat for the price.

A22
Length 22'
Beam 102"
Draft 27"
Seating 15 persons
Weight Cap 2,115 lbs
Weight 4000 lbs.
Fuel Cap 42 gallons Std HP 330
Max HP 550 Hull Type Wake Plus

Moomba
Overall Length w/o Platform: 22' 6"
Width (Beam): 99"
Draft: 27.5"
Weight - Boat only: 3,900 lbs
Weight - Boat and Trailer: 5,100 lbs
Capacity - Passenger: 16
Capacity - Weight: 2,400 lbs
Capacity - Fuel: 49 gals
Capacity - Ballast (Standard): 1,800 lbs
Capacity - Ballast (Optional): NA
Engine - Electronic Fuel Injection: 330 HP, V-8
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-07-2014, 7:17 AM Reply   
I think the mojo is 23' and 102" beam for 2015?
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-07-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
Overall Length w/o Platform: 23'
Width (Beam): 100"
Overall Width w/ Trailer: 102"
Draft: 27.5"
Weight - Boat only: 4,100 lbs
Capacity - Passenger: 17
Capacity - Fuel: 49 gals
Capacity - Ballast (Standard): 2,000 lbs
Capacity - Ballast (Optional): 500 lbs
Engine (Standard) - 400 6.2L Ford Raptor Engine by Indmar
Engine (Optional) - 440 6.2L Ford Raptor Engine by Indmar
Surf System (Optional): Flow Surf

Just noticed that
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-07-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
Hmm.. first... Moomba, but only 2015 .. but then you can get a powered Surfgate for the Axis.. so at the end i would choose the Axis, just because the wake shape system is powered.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       09-07-2014, 5:57 PM Reply   
Demo the 2015 Mojo and 2015 A22 and I think you'll find that the new Mojo is going to be extremely impressive with it's new running surface, larger interior space, and standard 400HP Raptor engine. That new engine will run rings around what is standard in the Axis
Old     (jwl019)      Join Date: Aug 2014 Location: N.E. Louisiana       09-07-2014, 6:09 PM Reply   
I am waiting on my local dealer to get an A22 in so I can demo it. Not real sure why I prefer it in the pics I've seen over the new Mojo. The Raptor engine has peaked my interest and I really like the idea of the 5 year warranty on it. Maybe after seeing a Mojo I might like it.
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-07-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
Why does everyone think more HP is always the best? 50 more HP = more fuel consumption.

I personally would rather have the least HP with the right prop for my exact needs/weight set up. I know a 335-350 HP motor with a 2315 prop will put 4,500 lbs up on plane easily and run up to 35 mph easily.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-07-2014, 6:49 PM Reply   
Axis no doubt, no comparison as far as wake performance and many different speeds and configurations. Always clean wake for all levels of rider. NO comparison
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-07-2014, 10:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by get_sum View Post
Why does everyone think more HP is always the best? 50 more HP = more fuel consumption.

I personally would rather have the least HP with the right prop for my exact needs/weight set up. I know a 335-350 HP motor with a 2315 prop will put 4,500 lbs up on plane easily and run up to 35 mph easily.

wat.....

smaller engine working harder, vs a more powerful motor running lower rpm and not struggling? not sure where you got that logic....
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-08-2014, 3:11 AM Reply   
I agree Aric....

Also on the MikenNC
Comparison on wake? Have you ridden behind a new Mojo or even Mojo period, Just asking?
I know mine throws a killer wake and i have had no complaining about size or shape.
Old     (lewisb13)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-08-2014, 4:43 AM Reply   
We just got rid of our 2013 Moomba LSV. You're not really comparing apples to apples. A nicely equipped LSV is going to be 60k OTD. A nicely equipped A22 is going to be 70k OTD. Really an Axis is between Moomba and Malibu in my opinion. Axis has rear hard tanks under the floor, axis has powered surfgate thingy, axis has the better hull IMO with the pickle fork thing going on. Two totally different boats.
Old     (mwsriders)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-08-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
Drive them both. I was in the market and driving them made my decision.
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-08-2014, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
wat.....

smaller engine working harder, vs a more powerful motor running lower rpm and not struggling? not sure where you got that logic....

Smaller engine would indeed NOT be working harder if it had a more aggressive prop. I concede that it would have a lower top speed, but that's not what the purpose is for; it's for pulling loads of weight. I agree pound for pound AND same prop smaller engine burns more (due to increased fuel flow/duty cycle of the injectors). HOWEVER, a properly propped small engine VS stock propped bigger engine, running the amount of weight that is becoming "standard practice", the smaller engine is more efficient (meaning, NOT wasteful).

For example, why isn't every engine a car manufacturer make a huge V8? Because putting them into a (for instance) a Volkswagen beetle would be very inefficient.
A second example, (maybe more fitting). Why isn't every 3/4 or 1 ton truck have a huge (mining style) catapillar engine capable of 3,000+ HP? Because that's not what is needed to efficiently do the task/job?

That's gets us back to why the manufacturer is putting EVER larger and larger engines into boats.... Simply put, because they can charge a higher premium for those boats which also in turn yields a higher profit margin.

So, give me my engine that I can effectively cruise at 30 mph (my benchmark, yours may vary) with as much weight I will ever put into the boat. And that's the size (smallest) that I want.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-08-2014, 4:15 PM Reply   
" Why isn't every 3/4 or 1 ton truck have a huge (mining style) catapillar engine capable of 3,000+ HP? Because that's not what is needed to efficiently do the task/job?"

This is perhaps the dumbest comparison ever. First off a 3,000 hp mining engine capable of 3,000 horepower is going to be about the same size as an entire 3/4 ton truck and cost a few hundred thousand dollars. In no way is that even a practical comparison.

A smaller engine running a more aggressive prop moving a loaded down boat will turn more RPM and work harder while burning more fuel than a larger engine running a slight less aggressive prop turning less RPM.

You are not talking about VW bugs here, that comparison is also ignorant.

Also i have not seen much on the new 2015 A22 but I would not say that it is better (quality and material wise) and the 2015 Mojo. I would think they are very similar quality and there has currently not been a lot of people riding the new Mojo wake yet since they just came out so I would think a demo would be needed for both.

Last edited by rdlangston13; 09-08-2014 at 4:18 PM.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       09-08-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
I'd look at 2014 and 2015 for both. As others have said, Axis tweaked the hull for 2015. It's my understanding that this was done to make the surf wake better (more comparable to the T22). That said, I've heard from those that have ridden the 2014 T22 and A22. The T22 has a less aggressive wakeboard wake (very similar though) but is a cleaner surf wake. Has the 2015 A22 wakeboard wake changed?
I can't comment on the Mojo. The interior looks good and I haven't seen much on the wake other than dealer vids. I guess I'm asking what the Curtdog is looking for in a boat?

Last edited by matt75; 09-08-2014 at 7:17 PM. Reason: added info
Old     (Curtdog)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-08-2014, 8:28 PM Reply   
Me and my wife are skiers (have a 79 Eliminator Converted to Jet for that) but we were introduced to surfing and absolutly love it as it is easier on the body but a ton of fun. So we are looking for something that we can put some people on get out ont he water and surf and recreational wakeboard... more surfing though. So the surf wave is the priority i would say.. my wife would say the color is the priority. I am setting up a demo for both the mojo and the T22 or A22 if no T. But either way i have decided that we need to go demo a boat. we have found a few that she likes up at Boat Country so hopefully that works out. Of course to add the twist if we could get behind it and ski at 30 mph with out blowing out the knees that would be cool! Side note.. my wife also isnt a huge fan of the seating on the Axis A22 so we are looking for a T22.
Old     (Curtdog)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-08-2014, 9:56 PM Reply   
What is we throw MB into the mix? Thoughts ?
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-09-2014, 4:33 AM Reply   
I will say the new interior on the Mojo is very nice. Wake wise, i think once you load that Mojo up and see what its capable of, youll be suprised at the wake.
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-09-2014, 4:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
" Why isn't every 3/4 or 1 ton truck have a huge (mining style) catapillar engine capable of 3,000+ HP? Because that's not what is needed to efficiently do the task/job?"

This is perhaps the dumbest comparison ever. First off a 3,000 hp mining engine capable of 3,000 horepower is going to be about the same size as an entire 3/4 ton truck and cost a few hundred thousand dollars. In no way is that even a practical comparison.

A smaller engine running a more aggressive prop moving a loaded down boat will turn more RPM and work harder while burning more fuel than a larger engine running a slight less aggressive prop turning less RPM.

You are not talking about VW bugs here, that comparison is also ignorant.

Also i have not seen much on the new 2015 A22 but I would not say that it is better (quality and material wise) and the 2015 Mojo. I would think they are very similar quality and there has currently not been a lot of people riding the new Mojo wake yet since they just came out so I would think a demo would be needed for both.

Just ignored the whole $$$$ argument as well huh? Kinda like a huge lifted truck that has never been off pavement..... Compensating for something lacking down below? The amount to "upgrade" you engine to a larger one, is astronomical to amount of fuel saved, hence my point being it's inefficient.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-09-2014, 5:12 AM Reply   
Since you are looking for a more surf oriented boat of the two you mentioned I would highly recommend the T22 over the 2014 A22.

As far as the Moomba vs Axis I think the Mojo edges out the A or T22 with a "more luxury" feel inside. The seat bases are high off the floor and deep. The vinyl a bit more intricate and plush. Wakes are both legit. I felt the T22 with surfgate surfed better than the Mojo with flow. The Moomba didn't take nearly as much weight to get the wake macking, where the T22 needed more extra weight on the wakeboard wake to get it up there. The Mojo drove like the huge boat it is whereas the t22 was more manageable. The Axis had way less bow ride as well. Surfing on the mojo even me being 6ft I still almost had to stand. Axis was easily to see over.

It's tough call and you need drive. I didn't ski either but my guess would be the mojo ski's better due to the advantage of their wake plate
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-09-2014, 5:43 AM Reply   
Please lord just go demo both and report back. Both boats were redesigned, so people's prior experiences are going to need to be taken with a grain of salt. Hell, I've owned 2 A22's, but I'm not jumping all over this thread because I have not ridden behind the new A22 yet. I did see one on the water in Knoxville over labor day weekend, and I thought, from a looks perspective, to be very nice. The interior is much nicer than my last A22. I will say that.

If the mojo produces a world class wake now that is not weight sensitive then great. I heard this was not the case with the pre-'15 mojo, and I heard that from a guy on our lake who owns one. It's perfect for him, because he uses it as a party barge, so to each their own.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-10-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtdog View Post
What is we throw MB into the mix? Thoughts ?
If you are looking at getting a superior interior at a great price MB F22 will fit right into the mix. The 15' will have the surf system and the wakeboard wake will be right there with the Axis slightly more sensitive than the Axis but really good wake. However it will be way better than the Pre 15' Mojo.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-10-2014, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
If you are looking at getting a superior interior at a great price MB F22 will fit right into the mix. The 15' will have the surf system and the wakeboard wake will be right there with the Axis slightly more sensitive than the Axis but really good wake. However it will be way better than the Pre 15' Mojo.
Don't talk crap. Show us some pics of that new rig you got. Quit holding out on us. Is the MB like the Axis wedge up or down?
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-10-2014, 5:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
Don't talk crap. Show us some pics of that new rig you got. Quit holding out on us. Is the MB like the Axis wedge up or down?
I should have it next week. I post up then.

It's hard to find a wake better than an Axis. I would say the MB wake is more like with the wedge. Way more vertical than Axis without wedge.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-10-2014, 5:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
I should have it next week. I post up then.

It's hard to find a wake better than an Axis. I would say the MB wake is more like with the wedge. Way more vertical than Axis without wedge.
Good. I prefer the vertical shape of the wake. I would love to ride one but they aren't very popular here in big 3 country.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-10-2014, 5:45 PM Reply   
Lake tested today
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-10-2014, 7:12 PM Reply   
thing is a beast, take it from a guy that has one, awesome awesome awesome, cheer cheer pom poms
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-11-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   

The Mojo looking pretty nice (stolen from the Raptor thread
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-11-2014, 1:22 PM Reply   
I need to get some chase boat pics of mine.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-11-2014, 2:55 PM Reply   

Moomba LSV Sweet boat!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-16-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
This is the wake of a NICELY weighted 2012 Mojo (Same hull as the 2014). Speed is 22.6.
Attached Images

Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-16-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
I thought the new hull was a bit different
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-16-2014, 12:04 PM Reply   
^^2015 Mojo is different.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-16-2014, 12:52 PM Reply   
yes sir
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-16-2014, 6:36 PM Reply   
The mojo is close enough to the axis wake. Although my wake could use more weight, my engine isn't big enough to pull it. My boat only had about 2400lbs and the wedge down in the pic.
Attached Images

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-16-2014, 8:21 PM Reply   
The OP asked about a 2014 Mojo so I thought I'd post a pic of the wakeboard wake. That pic is with about 3500lbs of ballast. Axis wake will definitely be wider.