Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-05-2015, 8:13 PM Reply   
Alright this will probably get some hate but i just dont undrstand it
Why are womens pro wakeboarders at such a lower level than men? how can a girl go pro for throwing some 3s and a backroll. I mean a guys gotta throw almost a double invert to get anthring now adays
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-06-2015, 2:03 AM Reply   
Define pro.
I'd say very few ladies earn a living in the sport.
The prize money is lower, what sponsors remain in the sport probably pay their ladies significantly less than their male counterparts.
I don't think anyone would be happier to see the ladies division advance than the ladies themselves.
How can you look at athletes like Dallas who having been pushing the sport for years and not feel admiration.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-06-2015, 5:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsterdamn View Post
Alright this will probably get some hate but i just dont undrstand it
Why are womens pro wakeboarders at such a lower level than men? how can a girl go pro for throwing some 3s and a backroll. I mean a guys gotta throw almost a double invert to get anthring now adays
Go home Ben, you're drunk.

How many women are sponsored/pro compared to men? How many women get boats? I'm trying to understand your beef.

I think you're perception/vision is skewed, or you're drunk, or both.
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-07-2015, 6:00 AM Reply   
Most of the pro women these days can throw all kinds of tricks ... Mobes, 900s, even doubles.
And especially on cable... Have you seen the new Julia Rick lake ronix edit?

Last edited by svnfightsvn; 09-07-2015 at 6:02 AM. Reason: Spelling change........./.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-07-2015, 7:22 AM Reply   
It's not just wakeboarding - it's women's sports in general.

The US Women's Soccer team got paid less for winning the world cup than the men's team did for getting knocked out in the quarterfinals. Significantly less.

Specifically - the women were paid $2 million.. the men got $9 million for finishing 11th.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-07-2015, 4:21 PM Reply   
Pretty lame considering I feel the women had a bigger following than the men do.
Old     (sja)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-07-2015, 4:46 PM Reply   
Some slack may be in line. Ben is 16. (If he's "drunk" he's drinking underage).I think it was a start that he recognized that his comment "may get some hate". As stated above, he hasn't seen Dallas absolutely stomping it.
I have a 12 year old competitive snowboarder who isn't happy unless she beats the boys her age (which she usually does). So give it some time, and things will change (both the level of women's competition, and the public perception).
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-08-2015, 3:17 AM Reply   
This topic was brought up on a motocross forum I am on a while ago. It followed pretty much the same line of thought that pro women in motocross would be beaten by local A class riders.

For me I think the best way to describe it is power to weight. Women don't seem to have the same power/strength either comparatively or directly. If you took and man and woman who were similar in size the man would generally perform better in any physical activity. At the same time if you took a man of average height and build for the male population and trained them to peak physical condition and did the same with the woman the man would also generally perform better in any physical activity.
The poster above said his 12 year old daughter usually beats boys her age at snowboarding. I have a feeling that in a couple of years she will have a much harder time due to the fact that the boys will hit puberty and that is when the real physiological differences between males and females come to the fore.

These are just my opinions from observations. Its not picking on women, its just stating what I see as the differences between males and females
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2015, 8:10 AM Reply   
Rhonda Rousey in UFC is the rare exception to this rule. I suspect she is or will be shortly making what the top male pros make. She has managed to create a scene and a huge draw. She is a once in a life time amazing athlete in her field, that happens to be easy on the eyes and can speak. She is a marketing dream. As they continue to try to find people that may give her a challenge, she will make movies and be on tv shows. Could she complete with the top 10 men in her wight class - no she could not, but she could handle with the middle of the pack guys I believe. The issue is like Nathan says - it is a power to weight thing that would make the difference.
Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-08-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
Nathan that is exactly what i mean, not saying that they arent good, just the men are on a level twice as high
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-08-2015, 12:53 PM Reply   
For a true apples to apples comparison, you would need to take a man and adjust his testosterone/estrogen levels to match a woman's levels, raise him that way, and then send him out to compete with women in a sport that he has trained for. I propose that the women in the sport kick the pants off of him unless, like the ladies, he has the same RARE natural gifts for the sport that they do. We are all built for different things as a result of evolution and genetic traits. Women will no doubt evolve and thousands of years in the future, many more women will undoubtedly be able to compete side by side with men at the highest levels of sport. These women that you are complaining about are the beginning of that evolution. Without them, there is no progress. I personally love to watch the women ride and they are all way better than I am. Leave them alone Ben.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-09-2015, 9:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Rhonda Rousey in UFC is the rare exception to this rule. I suspect she is or will be shortly making what the top male pros make. She has managed to create a scene and a huge draw. She is a once in a life time amazing athlete in her field, that happens to be easy on the eyes and can speak. She is a marketing dream. As they continue to try to find people that may give her a challenge, she will make movies and be on tv shows. Could she complete with the top 10 men in her wight class - no she could not, but she could handle with the middle of the pack guys I believe. The issue is like Nathan says - it is a power to weight thing that would make the difference.
Didn't you see her little spat with mayweather? she made 3M in the last year.. he made 450M