Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-13-2015, 5:58 PM Reply   
I am VERY close to purchasing a 2016 MB B52 23' with the new EXile setup. It no longer has your typical head unit, just the round Exile Digital Media Center(DMC).

My question is, can you hook up a transom control to the DMC? Maybe purchase another DMC and to mount back there and they somehow 'speak' to each other??

I really want transom controls as we hang out on the back a LOT!
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       08-14-2015, 11:33 AM Reply   
It's Bluetooth, use your phone.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-14-2015, 11:48 AM Reply   
Mark - Your question is a valid one. The Media center effectively replaces the old Deck that they had in the boat. Complaints on the old deck where

1 - the Bluetooth was sketchy
2 - the zon control was difficult to use.

In 2016 MB ditched that deck completely and used the Exile Media Center and combined it with the Exile ZLD EQ zone controller. This is a pretty cutting edge setup that I think you'll see other Boat brands evolve toward. It might not be Exile per say-- but more and more people are realizing a deck is a not needed expense.

So to your question: The Media Center is not meant to go on a transom. It's meant to replace a deck. While it is IPX67 rated against water intrusion thats not its intended purpose. If you want a head unit that has a transom remote, then I'd install one aftermarket.

Spikes comment above-- the DMC is BT4.0 and has an effective range upward of 100Ft. You can control your whole sound system from an iPhone standing on the swim deck or wherever you choose. For most, this will be a home run. Her's a picture before from the @exileaudio instagram. There's a couple of Digital Media Center pictures on there if you want to look.

-Brian / Exile Audio

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-14-2015, 2:00 PM Reply   
That looks pretty slick. Really like that.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-14-2015, 2:18 PM Reply   
Brian,

Thanks for your input. I have test driven the new 2016 MB and loved the setup at the helm! The sound was GREAT!

My reasoning against using the phone out back is 2 fold.

1. It can fall in the water and get wet. In the glove box is safer

2. I live in Texas, the sun is scortching! Just on our 1 hour test drive and having the phone resting on the dash, the iphone went into overheat mode.

Having it back on the sundeck is just not practical for me. You mention getting a head unit and transom controls. But like your comment above said, you dont need a head unit on a boat AND the dash is already machined for your DMC. I would love to see the DMC have added transom control capabilities.

Thanks
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-14-2015, 2:26 PM Reply   
Smart idea!!!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-14-2015, 5:30 PM Reply   
That looks awesome all integrated into the dash... Nice work MB and Exile!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-14-2015, 8:26 PM Reply   
Great work again busy the Exile guys. This setup is nice.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-02-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
I installed my Media center last night. I was pleased with how it came out.

I first wired it up so that it was receiving a remote turn on signal from my headunit. The headunit is powered on with the "stereo" switch on the dash. That wasn't the best way to go. When I cranked the ignition, it pulls power off that "stereo" circuit and will pause the music on my phone and in turn it actually dropped the BT connection and I had to mess with my phone to get it back. No bueno. However, it was an EASY fix because the media center has the ability to SEND a remote turn on lead. My WS420SQ is wired to the perko as are my amplifiers. so the BT Media Center is piggybacked on the same circuit as the 420sq and now the remote turn on leads for the amps and the 420 are all controlled by the media center. (and believe it or not, my Wetsounds EQ didn't explode when I connected it to the Exile Bluetooth Controller!!!) I can run my system without the head unit at all. I'm still keeping my head unit for playing music off the ipod or USB. it's there, so might as well keep it around.

Anyway, we're taking off tonight for a holiday weekend trip and will put the Media Center through the paces, but so far, so good. Pairing was incredibly easy and it sounds clean and clear. My android phone seems to be happy with the BT4.0
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-02-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post
Brian,

Thanks for your input. I have test driven the new 2016 MB and loved the setup at the helm! The sound was GREAT!

My reasoning against using the phone out back is 2 fold.

1. It can fall in the water and get wet. In the glove box is safer

2. I live in Texas, the sun is scortching! Just on our 1 hour test drive and having the phone resting on the dash, the iphone went into overheat mode.

Having it back on the sundeck is just not practical for me. You mention getting a head unit and transom controls. But like your comment above said, you dont need a head unit on a boat AND the dash is already machined for your DMC. I would love to see the DMC have added transom control capabilities.

Thanks
Tint your windows and you will no longer have to worry about the dash getting hot. On my new boat I added the new carbon tint and in the Louisiana sun I have never had my phone get hot on the dash. Its awesome.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-03-2015, 2:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Tint your windows and you will no longer have to worry about the dash getting hot. On my new boat I added the new carbon tint and in the Louisiana sun I have never had my phone get hot on the dash. Its awesome.
What part of LA you in ? I am only 60 miles from Shreveport.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-03-2015, 8:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
What part of LA you in ? I am only 60 miles from Shreveport.

I'm located in New Orleans. I keep the boat on a river in Mississippi. It stays on a lift so it's easy to show up and drop in the water.

Where are you at?
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-05-2015, 6:55 PM Reply   
Longview, TX. Right off I20.
Old     (North_LA_Hunter)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-05-2015, 8:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
Longview, TX. Right off I20.

Your not too far from me. I go to tyler every year or so to pick up my mud motors.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-09-2015, 9:04 PM Reply   
What is Carbon Tint?
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-10-2015, 10:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post
What is Carbon Tint?
Just a better tint material than the standard tint. I have the carbon on my boat and in direct sunlight my dash never gets hot.

I had the standard on my X45 and you can tell a difference.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-10-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
I'm back from our Labor Day weekend trip. We ran the boat for 5 days in a row, going out for 2 to 3 boating sessions each day. We ran it through the paces without question and it completely met/exceeded our expectations.

I was only able to test the range with the front half of the boat in a slip. so I couldn't really stand behind the boat to test it. The unit was solid in the boat. when I started to get more than one boat length away I'd get a couple hiccups on my signal. I'm sure it has to do with my mounting location on the dash surrounded by electronics and wires. That said, why would I need any more range than in my boat?!? For my needs, it's great.

As far as sound quality, it's on point. I actually did a test with my phone and a friend's phone. On his, the sound quality of the BT was equal to the sound quality of the 3.5mm. On my phone, we both agreed that the sound quality of the BT was BETTER than the 3.5mm.

A huge plus (and something that I was secretly hoping for) is that before the BT, if I had my phone plugged into the hardwired micro-usb charging cord and was playing music off the 3.5mm of the phone, I'd get cell phone feedback noise over the system. so I could only charge music or play music, but not both. With the phone charging and the music output via BT, I didn't get any cell phone noise! YES!

Using my Exile media center as a system "turn on" is working great. I found myself running quite often with ONLY the exile unit on (which triggers the EQ and my 3 amps) and didn't even turn on my headunit with the wired remotes. Also, it's pretty damn cool to be able to unload the boat and put my phone in my pocket with the music still going as we wipe down. There's an LED on the unit itself and since it's triggering the remote turn on lead to my system it also lights up the LED's on the EQ. So I haven't left it on by mistake yet, and I used it for 2 to 3 runs a day for 5 days in a row. That whole time I used it, I NEVER had a single quality issue.

I did figure out that upon power up, the BT controller will automatically connect with the last phone it was connected to. So, if my buddy's phone was playing BT last, it'll connect to his phone first. If I was playing BT last, but turn on the Exile controller w/o the BT on my phone powered up, it'll connect to my buddy's phone (assuming he'd paired with the controller in the past) if my buddy had his BT running on his phone. So I did find myself saying "OK, who has their BT on???" And my buddy then hijacked the music and started playing from his phone! LOL. Pairing a phone with the Exile controller couldn't be easier. No having to put the exile unit into pairing mode (it does that automatically) and no need for any silly default code. Just turn on the Exile BT, look for "Exile" on your phone, hit "pair" on your phone, then start jammin' your tunes.

The ability to track forward and back is great. It works really well on a default music player. I've had the track forward work to advance to the next song on a Spotify playlist, but it's honestly hit or miss with Spotify. That's not the fault of the Exile controller, as I've had the exact same behavior from Spotify playing off other BT controllers in some of our other vehicles.

It's also nice that I was able to hook up the BT controller to the Aux input of my EQ/ZoneController and NOT lose that Auxiliary input.

So, bottom line I'm quite happy and think Exile did a great job on this one. Yeah, the only thing I can say is that my range was rock solid IN the boat, and I didn't see the 50 to 75 feet that some others have been getting. But I don't go swimming or surfing with my phone, so it's all good in the neighborhood! If that's the only area I can offer a criticism, I'd call it a homerun.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       09-10-2015, 1:35 PM Reply   
That is a nice setup.