Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (307local)      Join Date: Mar 2018       08-03-2020, 6:04 AM Reply   
Looking for some advice. Just got a new board and when it arrived, had this small hairline crack Near the rail about 2” long. The shop I bought it from offered a steep discount if I didn’t want to return it, so I took them up on the offer. They recommended sanding, then a small application of solarez. Before I commit to anything, thought I’d show you guys are he pic and ask if anyone has any better recommendations before I do anything.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-26-2020, 2:37 AM Reply   
I have used Solarez quite a few times to repair boards, it works well and hardens quickly. If you are OCD like me and do it correctly, you can make it look almost perfect by doing a little wet sanding.
For cracks or gouges I will first make sure any loose material is removed and use a razor knife to "V" the crack. Clean really good with isopropel alchohol before using the solarez and make sure you
get the epoxy pushed into the crack before you harden it either in the sun or by using UV light. I usually do a lighter coat... then rough sand and do a 2nd coat so you dont have as much sanding
to smooth it all out.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-26-2020, 3:36 AM Reply   
Solarez is great. My process is what Doomswell recommended to me. Sand the area, apply Solarez and cover with Saran Wrap. Let it cure in the sun. Remove Saran Wrap and sand again. Keep in mind Solarez cures via UV light. Work indoors or in a garage and you’ll have plenty of time to get it right before it starts to dry. I do this more than I care to admit. Doomswell boards are fragile and I’m not the most careful person on earth. Just thinking about my Doomswell board has probably put another crack in it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-26-2020, 5:03 AM Reply   
yep use sun cured epoxy. saran wrap or even clear tape with help get the epoxy just like you want it.

learned this on my Doomswell as well! I'll probably invest in a nose guard for my Nubstep