Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-06-2019, 5:23 AM Reply   
Guys,

I am new to the forum as I just bought my first Centurion a couple weeks ago. It is a 2004 Enzo SV230.

My current setup is the factory hard tanks under each side of the boat and 2 540 lb bags (one in each rear locker), plus a delta mission surf shaper. Those are all plumbed in. I own 2 350 lb bags that are not plumbed, but can be filled with a separate pump.

Any ideas on the best weight set up to create a good surf wave with enough push?

I am still struggling with throwing the rope and consistently staying in the pocket. Once I drift back, it is tough to push back forward. I am 6 foot, 180 lbs and riding a 5 foot 4 inch hyperlite broadcast. Any thoughts on a good board for me? I am fairly new to surfing, but have been wakeboarding my entire life.

Thanks for all the input.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-06-2019, 6:37 AM Reply   
More weight is needed in the rear. Like 900-1100 per side, but you could still surf with the weight you have. You'll get better results running a little less weight on non surf side. If you know how to already surf & can't keep up with the boat try slowing the boat down. Lastly, do you know how to surf or just assuming there should be an endless amount of push?
Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-08-2019, 4:00 AM Reply   
Right now, I am fairly new to surfing. Been wakeboarding my whole life, but just recently started to surf. Any tips would be great! Haha
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-09-2019, 4:58 AM Reply   
I teach the 60/40 rule; 60% of my weight is on my front foot mostly towards my big toe, sort of like starting a power slide on a skate board going front edge on a wakeboard. 40% on my back. Try slowing the boat down, I find almost always people are trying to surf too fast. Use GPS on your phone to verify accurate speed on your boat as well.
Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-10-2019, 12:22 AM Reply   
I have perfect pass. We were going about 10.8. I could find the pocket, just was tough to stay in it. Was the amount of weight I had surfable?
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-10-2019, 1:58 AM Reply   
With hard tanks full & 540 in each locker in the rear? Totally surfable, not great but totally rideable, I'd move all your weight to the rear & not run any front weight for now till you have more the rear, that'll help back dig in & give your wave some height. Speed really depends on the board & your weight. Example: I ride my skim board at 10.2-10.3. My wife & daughter like to ride it at 10.5. I have a custom surf board that likes 10.6 on reg side, 10.8 on goofy. I also have a 5' surf board that LOVES 12mph, useless for everything else but it's a great cruiser for end of day when you're tired but not ready to get off. Next time out, play with different speeds, don't worry about letting go of rope, learn to stay in pocket & ride with slack in the rope. Eventually it'll hit you on what to do.

As for board suggestions, there's just too many boards & too many opinions for me to throw them out there. I'm surprised there haven't been hundreds of suggestions already, usually everyone wants to tell others their board is the best. Whatever you do, avoid Phase 5, I don't care what anyone says their boards are **** & most people only love theirs for a couple years till they start falling apart & their customer service blows.
Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-10-2019, 2:34 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input. My plan is to remove my 200 lb factory tanks and slide my 540s into that spot. They will fit and are already plumbed in because a have a T connector off of each pump connecting 2 hoses. Then going to put an 800 in each rear locker. I can get 2 ronix eight 3's 800 lb bags for a really good price, so I think I am going this route instead of the enzo sacs.

I am 6 foot, 180 lbs. I am riding a hyperlite broadcast 5 foot 4 inch board. My worry is that it was too big. I struggle with drifting back in the wave and not being able to come back forward into the pocket. I just lose it and sink every time at that point.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-10-2019, 2:39 AM Reply   
That's a big board man, you do need more weight & a better wave to ride that. I'm 5'10 180 pounds & most of my boards are 4'-6" to 4'-8" except the long board is 5'-4" & skim is 53".
Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-10-2019, 3:44 AM Reply   
So could you give me some suggestions on good boards for my size? My bday is coming up lol but I am new to surfing. Wakeboarded my whole life but have no idea how to pick a surf board.

Wanting an entry level board but something I can progress on and learn to spin and hit the wave for some air, etc.

Also, will that weight setup I am talking about work?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-10-2019, 4:04 AM Reply   
Your best bet is probably to go on the Centurion forums to find the best set up but either way you'll want to be upwards of 3,000lbs of total ballast to get the boat rocking.

Surfing is based on three things: Wave, Board, and Skill. Skill can make up for the first two when you know what you are doing.

Don't use your arms to pull you in. Try and always use your body weight by moving your hips back/forth and side to side 1" at a time because everything is delayed.
So move and wait, move and wait. You can also use your shoulders to bend forward over your toes. Hips rolled in not sticking out the back. The problem is that pretty much everyone moves too damn much when they are learning. SLOW DOWN! and when you think you are moving slow take it down another 50% because you are still moving to much. You get the pendulum effect. Yank the rope get to close to the back of the boat, hard on the breaks and the process continues.

For a surf style board you could be on a 4'6" or 4'8" most likely once you find your balance or find the wave size. Lots of good options out there.
Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-10-2019, 4:31 AM Reply   
I'm looking at the liquid force primo. 4'9''
It's a hybrid so I thought that may be a good pick.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-10-2019, 5:23 AM Reply   
you need more weight and a better board.
Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-10-2019, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
you need more weight and a better board.
Any thoughts on board? I weigh 180 and am 6 foot.... Kinda leaning towards a hybrid.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-11-2019, 1:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeams2 View Post
Any thoughts on board? I weigh 180 and am 6 foot.... Kinda leaning towards a hybrid.
Can't go wrong with an inland surfer sweet spot pro. Doomswell Neo or other Doomswell boards. If you have a dealer close by, some do demos. Otherwise you can be like me & just keep buying boards then have a wall of board art instead of that Pinterest crap girls like.
Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-11-2019, 2:40 AM Reply   
What sizes?
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-11-2019, 7:22 AM Reply   
4'-6" or 4'-8". Don't get a 5' board, they're slow, not very agile & are for big boys, like 6'5' & 350 pounds. My buddy is 6' 250 pounds of shear muscle & he rides my Sweet Spot just fine, have to slow the boat down a bit for him, but he makes it happen.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       09-16-2019, 2:18 AM Reply   
A 4' 8" Doomswell Neo will be a great starter board for you and will serve you well for quite a while as you progress, good pricing on these boards too. Buoyant with good handling and a board that is good for recovery from back of the wave.
Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-16-2019, 6:01 AM Reply   
Do you know anything about the difference between the nubstep and neo?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-17-2019, 4:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeams2 View Post
Do you know anything about the difference between the nubstep and neo?
not really. Neo has a blunt nose, nubstep is traditional. I have a nubstep, it's a decent board. Neo is supposedly for beginners, but I haven't ridden one so not sure. OTT I don't see much of a difference. My nubstep does have hard rails that make it carve a bit more aggresively.

FWIW, I run about 3000 lbs in my 23' boat. you need to get more weight in the boat, friend.
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-17-2019, 10:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
not really. Neo has a blunt nose, nubstep is traditional. I have a nubstep, it's a decent board. Neo is supposedly for beginners, but I haven't ridden one so not sure. OTT I don't see much of a difference. My nubstep does have hard rails that make it carve a bit more aggresively.

FWIW, I run about 3000 lbs in my 23' boat. you need to get more weight in the boat, friend.
They were much different in the early models. but now they are pretty close to the same. Neo has a blunt nose versus the Nubsteps pointed nose, they have different surface areas and the tails are a smidge different. They both will accomplish the same thing, but its definitely a personal preference between how the two boards ride. I personally like the Neo better, its a little looser on its edges than the Nubstep. I have friends however who prefer the Nubstep because it has more drive.