Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-27-2019, 1:45 PM Reply   
Hi all.
I’m currently in the process to re new my surfstyle board.
Had a SoulCraft Emily and always loved working with Jeff.

But I have a growing interest in Kanuk. Since I’m canadian haha
Would love some reviews if anybody ever tried a darkstar or a Burnsy.
Love the new shape but a bit scared on how the board will respond for big airs.

Thanks
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-28-2019, 1:46 AM Reply   
I've tried the Burnsy and the Darkstar and ended up purchasing the Darkstar. I've been riding the TWP Bombpop for a couple years and the Darkstar seemed to fit my style of riding better.

That said it was a gongshow getting the board I ordered so I doubt I would purchase a board from them again.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2019, 4:02 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden either board from Kanuk but quite a few of the riders are all local to me as well as Kanuk itself here in BC. I follow quite a few of the riders on IG as well.

You could always reach out to some of the riders if you wanted.
Steve - Picture shown on a Darkstar : @thatfnbastard_steve
Connor Burns @ connorburns

I'd equate getting airs more on a rider skill level rather than what a board can do. There are riders that can get some pretty good airs on a skim board.

I've talked to Paul at Kanuk a few times about demos and such and he even had his guy repair my soulcraft that I buckled. I'd really consider them for my next board. I think they have had the same issues with any newer company starting out with customer service and order times. They seem to be cranking out a ton of boards and last I heard had a back log of orders they are trying to get out. It's no different than a boat dealer. If you call in the summer they are probably going to be very busy opposed to ordering your board in the winter.
Attached Images

Old     (JPO)      Join Date: Feb 2015       08-29-2019, 11:18 AM Reply   
A little discount. No affiliation. My wife and 15 year old daughter ride a 4'4" Aurora and really like it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-water-sport/...ationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-water-sport/...ationFlag=true
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-01-2019, 2:03 AM Reply   
Thanks a lot for all comments.

Im totally in the same point as bcrider. They are very busy in the season and they are a new company too so it’s normal to have some issues due to the overwhelming demand.

I agreed skill level depend on the rider and not the board. But I’m able to make some pretty good airs on a skim and the only thing I wanted to say Is the airs with skim and airs with surf are completely different.

Since I’ve already have a SC Emily as a classic surfstyle the burnsy shape looks really attractive since it’s very different !
But due to the shape I’m a bit scared to have too much skim feeling.

After all I will order a custom one in October to let them finish the Season.
A local surf shop had a burnsy and tried it Tuesday. Fell in love with the board.
VERY responsive, much much Rocker so shov moves are made for that board.
speed and airs are nice too but the board is flatter on the nose so obviously you loose a bit on the lip.
It’s all about the fins too.

Picture on my P5 Matrix and a friend 2014 moomba mondo.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mike88; 09-01-2019 at 2:06 AM. Reason: Picture