Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-29-2019, 3:44 PM Reply   
I need a skim-board type wakesurfer that is bidirectional to surf behind the boat. I went to performance ski and surf in Orlando and they do not have any bidirectional wakesurf boards. I am thinking that a skim board might be an option, would that work? Do they make them bidirectional? Might run over to Cocoa Beach to pick one up. Does anyone in Orlando have a bidirectional wakesurf board for sale?
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-29-2019, 4:55 PM Reply   
See if you can find a Phase5 Hammerhead:

https://phase5boards.com/products/ph...wake-skimboard

Skim is a very different beast then surf style if you haven't tried a skim board before...

Inland Surfer also makes a Air model that is surf style with a blunted nose....
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-31-2019, 10:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebu View Post
See if you can find a Phase5 Hammerhead:

https://phase5boards.com/products/ph...wake-skimboard

Skim is a very different beast then surf style if you haven't tried a skim board before...

Inland Surfer also makes a Air model that is surf style with a blunted nose....
That board looks nice! For some reason I was looking for pointed ends on front and back, but that board looks great, what year did they start making the phase-five?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-31-2019, 4:34 PM Reply   
I’ve got an O’Brien TT I’d let go of
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-01-2019, 9:01 AM Reply   
Wake surfboards are not truly bi-directional, but they can be fairly easy to learn how to ride revert and some designs are relatively better than others.

Skim boards in general are easier to ride revert and back and forth, as they tend to have really low rockers, small fins and more even weight distributions.You ride the rails on a skim board, you ride the fins on a surfboard. The larger fins on a surfboard will aggressively want to spin you back to the forward position.
A blunt nosed/tailed board is not necessarily easier to ride revert and back and forth. Blunting/wide noses and tails are about shortening a board more than anything. Most find a normal sharp/pointed nose easier to ride revert (easier to jam in the wave, the nose acts like a fin for control); a wide nose is hard to jam in the wake with all the surface area, and all that surface are receives push from the wake, which can also make it harder to control. It takes more effort to ride a wide nosed board revert.

Nick
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2019, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I’ve got an O’Brien TT I’d let go of
That board looks good, are you in Florida?, don't think I would buy a board without trying it out.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2019, 12:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Wake surfboards are not truly bi-directional, but they can be fairly easy to learn how to ride revert and some designs are relatively better than others.

Skim boards in general are easier to ride revert and back and forth, as they tend to have really low rockers, small fins and more even weight distributions.You ride the rails on a skim board, you ride the fins on a surfboard. The larger fins on a surfboard will aggressively want to spin you back to the forward position.
A blunt nosed/tailed board is not necessarily easier to ride revert and back and forth. Blunting/wide noses and tails are about shortening a board more than anything. Most find a normal sharp/pointed nose easier to ride revert (easier to jam in the wave, the nose acts like a fin for control); a wide nose is hard to jam in the wake with all the surface area, and all that surface are receives push from the wake, which can also make it harder to control. It takes more effort to ride a wide nosed board revert.Nick
Good information, Thanks
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-02-2019, 4:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
That board looks good, are you in Florida?, don't think I would buy a board without trying it out.
Nope, I am not