Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-04-2018, 10:00 AM Reply   
I know this is like opening a can of worms but I figured I'd ask anyways. I want to get my wife a new surf board for Christmas. I know it's best to demo boards but our lakes are pretty hard right now and there's really no way to demo any of a lot of the brands that are of interest.

I was thinking of going with a Chaos or a Soulcraft or something like that. She's been riding my Inland Surfer Sweet Spot Carbon Pro for the last few years and really likes it. She's tried some 360's but mostly likes to carve and just go far back in the wake. She also prefers to get her speed by putting weight on her front foot rather than pumping the board.

Any suggestions on what might work? I think the characteristics we're looking for is fast and something that doesn't need to be pumped a lot to get speed. If anyone has had experience with other boards vs. the Sweet Spot Pro that would be really helpful. The Chaos Bamboo Sixer is one that's on the list.

Thanks!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-05-2018, 3:28 AM Reply   
Soulcraft AV pro would fit the bill perfectly
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-05-2018, 9:49 AM Reply   
YYC, You Calgary area then? If so the Canadian fam is running strong on Kanuk boards.

Just by what you mentioned I’m going to assume surf style but typically if you aren’t a fan of pumping surf style isn’t preferred.
For surf style the burnsy pro is a sweet board with lots of speed and can still be broken loose for spins. Another option she might like is the blunt, it’s a skim style board with a blunt style nose which has some surf characteristics and speed.

Last edited by Surfer101; 12-05-2018 at 9:50 AM. Reason: Edit
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-05-2018, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer101 View Post
YYC, You Calgary area then? If so the Canadian fam is running strong on Kanuk boards.

Just by what you mentioned I’m going to assume surf style but typically if you aren’t a fan of pumping surf style isn’t preferred.
For surf style the burnsy pro is a sweet board with lots of speed and can still be broken loose for spins. Another option she might like is the blunt, it’s a skim style board with a blunt style nose which has some surf characteristics and speed.
Yep, in Calgary. I looked at Kanuk boards but i haven't heard a lot about them and figured it would be safer to go with a company with more history. We bought a phase 5 skim last year but she really doesn't like the looseness of a skim style so I wanted to get a surf style board. Since Christmas is coming up soon I ended up ordering the Sixer. Hopefully she likes it otherwise I'll have to drop another grand on a new board. lol
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-05-2018, 10:27 AM Reply   
I'd agree with surfer101. Kanuk boards are gaining a lot of traction locally and are really nice boards. I'm on Cutlus which is the home lake to most of the Kanuk riders. I've ridden a few of the skim boards and have been to their shop where they make them. They are the same if not higher in quality compared to some of the other major brands out there. I would definitely give them a shot. I have a SC Blunt Nose Honu and will be looking at a Kanuk board once it's time to replace it.

Wizard Lake Marine & Seca carry them.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-05-2018, 10:43 AM Reply   
I have a Chaos and it's rad. Hit up Nick and get his advice.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       12-05-2018, 12:37 PM Reply   
I tell you hwhat, I got my wife a Connelly katana & it's proving to be every ones favorite board in our crew. We have quite the collection of boards (11) including a soulcraft voodoo & I prefer the Katana over it. At $599 it's hard to beat for the performance & value. If you really want custom for the wife, I'd get her an AK (Ashley Kidd) or even hit up Dan-O customs here in CO, he makes sick boards & his is another one of my favorites, they're also half the cost of Soulcraft. My wifes previous favorite board was the Sweet Spot pro if that helps, she won't get off the Katana now.

Last edited by wombat2wombat; 12-05-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-05-2018, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCBoarder View Post
Yep, in Calgary. I looked at Kanuk boards but i haven't heard a lot about them and figured it would be safer to go with a company with more history. We bought a phase 5 skim last year but she really doesn't like the looseness of a skim style so I wanted to get a surf style board. Since Christmas is coming up soon I ended up ordering the Sixer. Hopefully she likes it otherwise I'll have to drop another grand on a new board. lol
Well that is highly unlikely, but on the off chance she doesn't dig it, then we can just make her a custom to her liking.

Nick
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-06-2018, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Well that is highly unlikely, but on the off chance she doesn't dig it, then we can just make her a custom to her liking.

Nick
Awesome. Thanks for the help!
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-24-2019, 6:13 AM Reply   
Just following up on this. My wife loves her new bamboo sizer! It looks great and is super responsive and fast. It does pearl a bit easier than the sweet spot but that just takes a few adjustments. Great board and great customer service. Thanks Nick!
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-24-2019, 11:44 AM Reply   
Probably a better choice going with the Chaos board. We ordered a couple custom Kanuk boards late last summer and it was a bit of a gong show. We've had way better customer service from Chaos and TWP Boards.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-30-2019, 5:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
I have a Chaos and it's rad. Hit up Nick and get his advice.
Which board?