Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (307local)      Join Date: Mar 2018       08-18-2018, 8:35 AM Reply   
I've been reading the forums for a while and greatly appreciate the information you all provide. I have a few questions I hope you don't mind answering. I'm brand spanking new to boating. I've been wakeboarding once, way back in the olden days of college. I've never driven a boat, never spent much time on a boat, am pretty much totally ignorant to the "lake life". That's about to change. My wife has been begging for a boat for years, and with an upcoming relocation to Oklahoma City, and a variety of lakes within easy driving distance, I'm giong to cave and get us a boat. It will be pretty much a surf only boat with the occasional skiing or wakeboarding if guests are into it. The most important factor for me (other than a surfable wake) is ease of use, ie as close to set and forget surf wake forming as I can get until my aptitude and skill match my ambition. Our budget is $80,000. What are your recommendations on what boats I should be looking at, what surf systems, etc? New or used, it doesn't matter to us, as long as I don't need a maritime ballast listing degree to properly set up a wave. For reference, I've been researching newer moomba mojo and max, and the supreme s226 mostly due to user reviews, but am totally open to any and all suggestions.

How much (generally speaking) should I budget for the needed accessories, ie vests, boards, anchor, general boating supplies?

Thanks a ton for your input, and again for your already shared wealth of knowledge--getting into this as a total newbie has felt a little overwhelming and intimidating.
Old     (Padge)      Join Date: Feb 2017       08-19-2018, 6:24 AM Reply   
I’d buy a new Moomba max at that price. Be an awesome first boat and would have warranty
Old     (BLucas86)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-21-2018, 7:26 AM Reply   
Find a 2016+ Tige Z3 with Taps 3 and you won't be let down by the wave.

Accessories will depend on what all you need. Can usually easily find beginner surfers online for sub $500 and the rest, likely about another $500. Get some dock lines, fenders, surf rope, etc....
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2018, 1:30 PM Reply   
If your budget is $80K, then the world is your oyster. If it were me I would look real hard at the new Moomba's if you want warranty. Good deals can also be had used for Centurions, Tige's, etc. They almost all throw good waves these days. One very important thing to consider is dealer relationship. Who is closest to you? Because all boats have issues, and your dealer relationship will be key.
Old     (307local)      Join Date: Mar 2018       08-25-2018, 3:56 PM Reply   
Being a first time boat owner, are there any things I should steer clear of? Ie Certain brands that aren’t as user friendly, particular surf systems that are more difficult to set up, is a 23+ ft bit going to be too much boat, a 22’ boat not enough, etc?
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-26-2018, 6:20 PM Reply   
A new MB has a quick simple ballast system, a 21’ or 22’ would be a great boat for room and people and should be right in your budget and the surf system on the MB is just hit surf or right and go!!! And yes, make sure the dealer wants to care about you and the best way to Tell that will be when you tell them you have never driven a boat, they should say, load up and let’s go figure it out! If they don’t, they don’t need your $80k! Texas Mastercraft was on point of every detail when I was buying the boat and the few times I had to take it in after the sale. That alone said a lot!
Old     (Mikesman)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-04-2018, 12:36 PM Reply   
All manufacturers are getting better about having decent surf waves straight out of the box....with that said, I have yet to see a boat that didn't benefit from a little tweaking. A dealer and/or forums like this and/or previous boat owner should help you.

There is also only so much a surf system or boat can do to compensate for all the variables that make a good surf wave...if your weight distribution is all wrong, there just not much hope to get a good surf wave. As a driver, you will have to learn what those variables are and how to compensate; I just don't think there is anyway around learning that. The good news is that most of the time it is pretty easy, and you will just have to make one little adjustment to make a good wave that day. Most of the time it is the same adjustment, i.e. more or less of X setting.

For example, I have a 2014 X30... I have tweaked my setup, not even close to factory settings, but now all I have to do is go push a button and I get a clean wave on both sides without doing anything else.... the only adjustment I ever make is moving 100 pounds of lead forward and backwards in the boat depending on how many people I have on board (too many people sitting in the back and I move the weight forward).
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2018, 11:38 AM Reply   
I have a 2019 MB B52 23 for sale, 44hrs, full warranty. Awesome surf wave, fill it and go. 87k
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-10-2018, 5:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 307local View Post
Being a first time boat owner, are there any things I should steer clear of? Ie Certain brands that aren’t as user friendly, particular surf systems that are more difficult to set up, is a 23+ ft bit going to be too much boat, a 22’ boat not enough, etc?
What are you towing with? I can't remember ever being on the water and wishing my boat was smaller, but I do remember thinking that while pulling up a long mountain pass.

How handy are you? ALL boats break eventually. All of them. And every single one requires regular maintenance. Getting an oil change or regular maintenance isn't like pulling into your local jiffy lube... something really simple can take a week or more during peak season.

Dealers also have a not-uncommon practice of favoring people who bought from them over others in the maintenance queue.

Which is all to say that for someone brand new to boating, I think I'd find out who the good dealer is that's local to you, and buy that brand, whether or not it's the bleeding edge "best value for the money." All modern $80k boats surf pretty good these days, but not if they are stuck in the shop during boating season.

(me personally... I haven't changed the oil on my own vehicles since I was 17... too cheap and easy to take it to the quick change place or the dealer. But I do ALL of my boat maintenance because I can't bear to be "down" for even a single weekend during our short season. None of this stuff is hard if you are moderately mechanical and aren't afraid to do a little googling and ask some dumb questions.)
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-13-2018, 5:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesman View Post
All manufacturers are getting better about having decent surf waves straight out of the box....with that said, I have yet to see a boat that didn't benefit from a little tweaking. A dealer and/or forums like this and/or previous boat owner should help you.

There is also only so much a surf system or boat can do to compensate for all the variables that make a good surf wave...if your weight distribution is all wrong, there just not much hope to get a good surf wave. As a driver, you will have to learn what those variables are and how to compensate; I just don't think there is anyway around learning that. The good news is that most of the time it is pretty easy, and you will just have to make one little adjustment to make a good wave that day. Most of the time it is the same adjustment, i.e. more or less of X setting.

For example, I have a 2014 X30... I have tweaked my setup, not even close to factory settings, but now all I have to do is go push a button and I get a clean wave on both sides without doing anything else.... the only adjustment I ever make is moving 100 pounds of lead forward and backwards in the boat depending on how many people I have on board (too many people sitting in the back and I move the weight forward).
So how do you fix a non-existent goofy wave on a 2013 x45, I kid you not it was almost non-existent, 1/4th the wave of the regular, my Axis has a difference where goofy is 15-25% better but what I experienced last weekend on a well weighted and listed boat was bad, real bad, worse I have ever seen in 4.5 years of surfing my and others boats, my stock wave with no wedge and zero ballast was better than that

Last edited by granddaddy53; 10-13-2018 at 5:28 AM.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-19-2018, 7:46 PM Reply   
I would consider getting a good survey and buying a used boat. You can get the best wake surf available for about $40 K less. Then have lots of money left over to pay a captain or "boat guy" to do EVERYTHING.....launch and retrieve, wash and rinse, all maintenance, filling and emptying, etc. etc. A new boat will cost a fortune in depreciation, and you'll probably be stuck with doing all the work yourself. Just a thought. Check out my blog above "Dialed Malibu 247 Wakesurf.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       10-20-2018, 5:09 AM Reply   
One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned but should be considered is how and where you are going to store the boat. I think I would figure that out as it might be important as to the size boat you buy. Are you keeping it on the lake in a slip or dry storage? Will it be in your garage? Stored outside at the house or somewhere else?

PS - I know this seems overwhelming but don’t stress too much, this is going to be a blast and you will have a happy wife.

One last thing, and maybe the most important advise I can give you...don’t be a jerk when dealing with the boat. Talk to your wife so you both understand that launching and retrieving the boat can be a stressful process, be kind to each other and give them grace if someone snaps at the other. I see FAR too many families yelling at each other (usually the man at the wife) at the ramp. If you want to kill the fun of a boat, that will do it.

Remember, this is ALL ABOUT FUN...enjoy it!
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-20-2018, 8:23 AM Reply   
What brand dealers are within a reasonable drive from where you live? They pretty much all make great surfing boats, so let's start with what you've got close by and then folks can make specific boat recommendations from there.

Welcome to one of the most fun family & friend experiences imaginable!