Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       04-14-2019, 10:00 AM Reply   
What are the numbers which appear after each fin model?
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-14-2019, 11:45 AM Reply   
Those are the fin area
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       04-14-2019, 1:06 PM Reply   
You know they do not necessarily mean more or less speed.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-15-2019, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I’ve got a new board on the way and I’m looking at all the Futures Fins options that are finished in black. The board is a 4’4 Kanuk Darkstar set up with just a twin fin. It will come with the Thermotech fins and I may just paint them if there is no better option. I’m 165lbs and mostly just carving up a decent size wake. I’ll also do 360’s and grinds off the lip. I’ve always ridden a TWP Bombpop with a twinzer setup. The black fins that should look good with the orange finish on the board are the:
AM2 Techflex (15.98)
JohnJohn (M) Alpha (14.98)
F4 Alpha (14.22)
HS2 Generation (14.54)

What do you think my best options here are?
For the small wave behind surf boats, I would go with their generation series (HS2).
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-15-2019, 1:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
I’ve got a new board on the way and I’m looking at all the Futures Fins options that are finished in black. The board is a 4’4 Kanuk Darkstar set up with just a twin fin. It will come with the Thermotech fins and I may just paint them if there is no better option. I’m 165lbs and mostly just carving up a decent size wake. I’ll also do 360’s and grinds off the lip. I’ve always ridden a TWP Bombpop with a twinzer setup. The black fins that should look good with the orange finish on the board are the:
AM2 Techflex (15.98)
JohnJohn (M) Alpha (14.98)
F4 Alpha (14.22)
HS2 Generation (14.54)

What do you think my best options here are?
Each of these are different material combinations and different templates, none of which are ideal for wakesurfing. Based on your size, consider the HS3s https://chaossurfco.com/wakesurffins...55shkzzm-hs7ax

Or consider our Small Flares, which are available in smoke/black finish, designed for wakesurfing and available in a twin set which is more affordable and you aren't paying for a extra fin you won't use.
https://chaossurfco.com/wakesurffins...n-medium-wwjxm

Nick
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-15-2019, 3:20 PM Reply   
Chaos fins for the win!! I put the large flare fins on my soulcraft and they made a big difference.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-15-2019, 6:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Each of these are different material combinations and different templates, none of which are ideal for wakesurfing. Based on your size, consider the HS3s https://chaossurfco.com/wakesurffins...55shkzzm-hs7ax

Or consider our Small Flares, which are available in smoke/black finish, designed for wakesurfing and available in a twin set which is more affordable and you aren't paying for a extra fin you won't use.
https://chaossurfco.com/wakesurffins...n-medium-wwjxm

Nick
Thanks for the info Nick. I was originally thinking of the HS2 or a larger area fin trying to match up the area of the twinzer fins combined. Does the little fin help with control?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-16-2019, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks for the info Nick. I was originally thinking of the HS2 or a larger area fin trying to match up the area of the twinzer fins combined. Does the little fin help with control?
Canard fins do not really add much to the area or hold especially when set overlapping or clustered together as you will find on the walker and many others with twinzer set ups. They mostly direct water toward the lead fins, but do not contribute much to overall fin area and hold.

Nick
Old     (SurfNerd)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-21-2019, 5:01 PM Reply   
The Futures WCT fins or Blackstix EA would be great options for your Kanuk board.

If it's a Darkstar, the board is probably a 4'6". If it's 4'4", then it's probably an Aurora. The good news is that, given your weight class and ability, you can ride both those boards with either sets of those fins. And you will progress quickly!

Where are you located?
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-22-2019, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfNerd View Post
The Futures WCT fins or Blackstix EA would be great options for your Kanuk board.

If it's a Darkstar, the board is probably a 4'6". If it's 4'4", then it's probably an Aurora. The good news is that, given your weight class and ability, you can ride both those boards with either sets of those fins. And you will progress quickly!

Where are you located?
It's a custom Darkstar at 4'4". I've got some Chaos, Blackstix and HS2 fins to try in the board when it arrives.

I'm in Victoria.
Old     (nohlan_4)      Join Date: Feb 2016       06-11-2019, 9:39 AM Reply   
I just put i a set of Futures F4 blackstix into my 4'5" darkstar and I really like them, super fast with good pop off the lip. They are smaller so they help me land revert from alley-oops better as well.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       09-04-2019, 9:51 AM Reply   
Are you all riding your fins as a twin set up or quad?
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-05-2019, 2:33 AM Reply   
I've gone from a twinzer setup to a twin. It seems to loosen the board up a little.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       09-07-2019, 3:49 AM Reply   
What is a twinzer setup?
I assume a twin means two fins. A quad is four.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-09-2019, 1:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiikVLX View Post
What is a twinzer setup?
I assume a twin means two fins. A quad is four.
The twinzer setup is the main fin plus a small canard fin in front of this fin. A quad would be four large fins.
Old     (mschmidt33)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-19-2019, 4:40 AM Reply   
XS John Johns imo
Old     (SySurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2019       09-21-2019, 11:11 AM Reply   
There is a noticeable difference from stock fins to the Blackstix. Riding a Doomswell Neo and Doomswell El Jefe (single fin set up) and it was an improvement to both.
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-24-2019, 4:49 AM Reply   
My honest rating of fins is as follows. I usually swap these fin combos for quite a few Doomswell boards (Neo, Nubstep, Mongrel etc). Started with their stock fins, progressed to blackstix, eventually ordered Chaos medium fins as recommended by a friend just to try them out. Overall I am happy with all 3 fins but after riding the two non stock fins I will probably never ride the stock ones again.

Amount of Drive
1. Blackstix
2. Chaos
3. Stock

Amount of Looseness
1. Chaos
2. Blackstix
3. Stock

For my boat, the waves money so I really just don't need that additional drive from the Blackstix. The chaos fins have a nice balance between the two so I have been favoring those recently.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-24-2019, 3:06 PM Reply   
I found the soulcraft fins to have more drive than the blackstix on my voodoo