Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2016, 1:07 PM Reply   
What's the best way to cut EVENLY through 3/4 HDPE plastic. Going to try my hand at making a surf gate.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       08-27-2016, 2:14 PM Reply   
I use a jigsaw with a wood cutting blade. Cuts through like butter or straight cuts. If making a tight curve or turn it will begin to melt the HDPE and gum up some because of the friction. Not too bad to deal with though. If only making straight cuts a circular saw would do too. Basically whatever you'd use to cut plywood will work just as well on HDPE.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-28-2016, 6:10 AM Reply   
Thanks!!! Didn't think about it getting hot and possibly melting.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-28-2016, 6:15 AM Reply   
I used my band saw and a belt sander to finish it off..
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2016, 7:43 AM Reply   
Table saw. Clean it up with a belt sander. Chop or miter saw also works well depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Basic straight cuts, clamp it down and use a circular saw if you don't have a table saw. You can round off edges with a jig saw or a sander/grinder.

Nick
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2016, 1:48 PM Reply   
Trim routers work great as well!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-29-2016, 2:23 PM Reply   
miter saw, jigsaw, circular. very easy to work with. drill it, sand it, screw it
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       12-11-2019, 7:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
I used my band saw and a belt sander to finish it off..
That's what I use, too and it worked out fine up to this point.
Old     (Rugger)      Join Date: May 2016       08-06-2020, 2:10 PM Reply   
Skill saw or table saw, and clean it up with a belt sander. Dozens of examples on wake garage. What are you doing for a controller?
Old     (Rugger)      Join Date: May 2016       08-06-2020, 2:11 PM Reply   
Also if you don't have a jig saw, the belt sander will work wonders on corners of HDPE. Hope that helps! Although fiberglass is worth the time after you get her dialed in.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2020, 9:20 AM Reply   
You can buy fine tooth blades for a skill saw/table saw. Otherwise, as mentioned a fine tooth blade on a jig saw would also work.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-12-2020, 4:02 AM Reply   
buying special blades to cut this stuff is silly. rip it with whatever ya got and go to the lake