Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (skers85)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-19-2013, 9:19 PM Reply   
I need some help with my hs wtw when I get air it always feels like the boat is pulling me forward its really frustrating any tips would be great
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-19-2013, 10:36 PM Reply   
Sounds like you might be holding a raley edge through the wake.

Start about 10-15 feet outside the wake. Take a progressive edge in. You don't have to cut super hard. Slowly lean more and more onto your heels. You should never feel like your really fighting /playing tug of war. Just a simple mellow edge. As you begin to ride through the trough begin to stand up tall, but don't let off your edge all the way. This is where handle position is key. You want your elbows to be at a 90 degree with the handle at your waist as close as possible. Head and shoulders up and square with the boat.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-19-2013, 10:37 PM Reply   
Also. Flattening off your edge too much will give you the raley/tugging toward the boat feeling
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-20-2013, 6:28 AM Reply   
If you feel like you're getting pulled forward, then there is a good chance that the handle is too high and your arms extended. As previous poster said, try to keep your elbows bent and the handle as close to your waist as possible. Building up your wakeboarding muscles will greatly help.

One way you can do this is to start your cut with your arms more extended (not fully, just more) as you're crouched down in a sitting position to build speed. Then as you start up the wake you're going to straighten up out of your crouched sitting position to a standing position. As part of that standing motion pull the handle in toward your waist.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-20-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
^ you don't want to crouch all the way to a sitting position. Doing this will cause you to loose leverage and line tension. You will end up having to work harder than you should just to get an equivalent edge and line tension. It's best to bend your knees just a little bit, about half way between straight legged and sitting. This will give you optimal edge with little effort and just enough crouched so that you can stand tall and get the most pop
Old     (skers85)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-20-2013, 9:55 PM Reply   
i appreciate the help I'm gonna try and get some video tomorrow to post
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2013, 4:37 PM Reply   
Video will make it easy for us to help you. Please get the cut away from the wake as well as the approach to the wake.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
^ you don't want to crouch all the way to a sitting position. Doing this will cause you to loose leverage and line tension. You will end up having to work harder than you should just to get an equivalent edge and line tension. It's best to bend your knees just a little bit, about half way between straight legged and sitting. This will give you optimal edge with little effort and just enough crouched so that you can stand tall and get the most pop
Pro riders crouch down into a sitting position. Have you seen the recent "Lines" video with Harley Clifford? He's not just bending his knees a little bit.

Maybe we have different interpretations of what "bent little bit" and a "seated position" is. For me, "bent a little bit" would be something like 30º (probably more then 15º but certainly less than 45º), "seated position" would be something like 60º (at least more than 45º but definitely not more than 90º).
Old     (skers85)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-23-2013, 8:20 PM Reply   
The tips helped a lot I got some really good air everyone said about 6-7 ft but I have another problem now I cant go w2w I land either in the middle or on the upside of the opposite wake. I am riding behind an I/o without a tower at between 17 and 20 mph(no perfect pass) would that effect going w2w.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-24-2013, 3:38 AM Reply   
Yes. Try going 20 - 22 mph and use a 65' rope.Then let us know how you do.
Old     (V8_Killer)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-30-2013, 9:08 PM Reply   
Speed up. You're advanced enough to be going 21.5+. Almost all riders ride between 22-23.5mph.