Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (srich5)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-22-2020, 2:32 AM Reply   
I am having trouble getting good push from this wave. I know that it is not the boat but rather how I am setting the boat up. I know this boat will throw a top tier wave when set up properly.

I have been running full pro ballast (2100 pounds) with NSS at 0 and Hydrogate at 5. We had been running the speed at 9.6 as this gave us the best push but a very small sweet spot that is close to the boat.

I am thinking that if I take some out of the belly tank that the boat will get a little more pitch to it and thus create more push?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-22-2020, 8:38 AM Reply   
Out of the box, a 230 needs more weight to be a great surf boat. I run about 2,200 in the rear (factory tanks plus 700lb piggyback bags). Up front I run a 650 under bow seat sack piggybacked on whatever the belly tank is. Do that and you’ll have more push than you know what to do with. Since you’re struggling to get push, start with the hydro gate at full vertical and adjust it to get what you want. Start with NSS fully deployed and bring to where you like it.
Old     (srich5)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-22-2020, 9:32 AM Reply   
So just so I am clear, the NSS fully deployed would be at 5, correct? So hydrogate and nss both at 5 with full stock ballast would create the biggest wave possible without adding extra ballast? If I do not want to add extra ballast, would it help to not completely fill the belly tank in order to get the nose up a little bit?
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-22-2020, 12:40 PM Reply   
NSS at full is 0.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-22-2020, 1:29 PM Reply   
NSS 0 is full out. My hydro gate is the old manual one. For that one, lower is more vertical but we only have 1,2,3. I run at 1 to 2. I’m not sure if they changed the numbering for the computer actuated one.

As far as weight, we’re running about the same ratio front/rear. You could try dumping belly weight. But for the price of a piggyback kit and a coupe of hours to install you can have a surf wave that rivals the G23 (but not quite as adjustable).
Old     (srich5)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-23-2020, 2:28 AM Reply   
thanks, I will keep trying things
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-23-2020, 5:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srich5 View Post
So just so I am clear, the NSS fully deployed would be at 5, correct? So hydrogate and nss both at 5 with full stock ballast would create the biggest wave possible without adding extra ballast? If I do not want to add extra ballast, would it help to not completely fill the belly tank in order to get the nose up a little bit?
There is no replacement for displacement. Ever. You either need to add more weight to this boat or put up with an unreached potential. I run around 4,200 lbs total ballast in mine including Leadwake bags. It's all controlled from the dash. I'll be adding more lead bags soon. I've owned mine for 5 years now and have experimented extensively.

In short, you need custom front and rear bags from Wakemakers and 1000 lbs of lead under the main cabin seats. NSS at 0. Done.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-22-2020, 3:49 PM Reply   
Mostly everything’s wrong with your setup 😅
230 is really a surf beast When properly weighted and dialed.

Run faster, 10.6 - 10.8
NSS 0

Add weight or a bunch of people.
230 needs bow weight.
No need to have custom bags, you can just put :
- Fatsac 750 bow bag underseat (fills about 5-600)
Replace your original rear bags for 2x 750 and get rid of the trays.

Its gonna be a day and night difference.