Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-27-2020, 8:08 AM Reply   
Hey Guys and Gals,

I just bought a 2014 Sanger V237 and I have owned a V230 for the last 10 years. What is everyone using to weight the boat for surfing? I am 6 ft. 208 lbs. My V230 i had 1100 in the rear locker so I am Trying to get this ready for spring. TIA.

Scott

Last edited by scott; 01-27-2020 at 8:18 AM.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       01-28-2020, 2:54 AM Reply   
not an owner but did spend some time on one back in '12 at the polar bear.
boat was one of the best waves of the event BUT was overweight and took water over the ass end almost every time we stopped.
scotty from sanger stated it was 1100's in the rears and factory up front/center. Scotty claimed it was all water ballast but when the event was over myself and 2 others(who had a sanger 210 and knew Scotty) at 8pm in the dark on the ramp helped him pull out 1500lbs of lead from the boat. he had it in the back corner, under side seats and some up front. there were 30 50lb bags total.

what I took away from it was use enough weight to get the rubrail down to the water and you will enjoy the wave. the setup above produced a solid wave but it was at the expense of flooding the boat. I think the wave would have been just as good and a safer boat with the 1100's and 5-700k in lead. also depends on the crew size. we had Scotty, his dachsund and iirc 8 of us in our group with an average of 200lbs per person.

you can see in this short vid the difference in regular and goofy sides as the goofy didn't have as many riders. regular side rubrail is slammed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKamQyfeJlU
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-29-2020, 2:01 AM Reply   
setup will be very similar to your 230. it does take some lead in addition to water weight to get the rubrail low enough. I'm running about 1000 lbs in mine. balanced midship. depending on which side we're surfing, i'll move about 1/3 of my lead weight to that side while the bags switching. i also run a 750 in the walkway to keep the bow in the water, on top of locker sac.

keeping water out of the boat is all about driving it right. you can't chop the throttle when the rider falls. you have to slowly come off plane and drive away from the wave while turning to the unweighted side. should take an extra 5 to 7 seconds to slow the boat down. takes a little practice but very easy to drive once you get the concept. once you get away from the wave, cut the wheel hard, return to neutral maybe hit reverse for a second or two and boat will spin around.

have fun enjoying the new rig

Last edited by denverd1; 01-29-2020 at 2:05 AM.
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-29-2020, 8:38 AM Reply   
Denverd1

Is that an additional 1000 lbs with the stock tanks, or ace the stock tanks and just throw my 1100 lbs from my 230 in there? Wakemaker has suggested to add the 910's in each side with the stock tank. I just don't see it fitting in the back locker. The 230's back lockers were twice the size it seemed like. TIA
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-29-2020, 9:08 AM Reply   
i pulled hard tank in my 230 and put 1100s in there like you did. haven't seen a 237 in person, but I was hoping the whale tail made it a bit deceiving. the lockers definitely look smaller.

see if there's a partition back there you can take out.

extra 1000 is add'l lead weight, most under observer seat. a couple bags behind captains chair and 250-300 lbs under bow seats even L to R.

Last edited by denverd1; 01-29-2020 at 9:11 AM.
Old     (mpleasance)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-30-2020, 6:29 PM Reply   
I've got a 2014 V237 and can let you know what I did.

First, removing the hard tanks is a must. The way the hard tanks are positioned along the sides and all the partitions, the usable space in the locker is tiny.
It was a pain to remove the tanks, I had to cut them into pieces in the locker. If there was a way to get them out in one piece I couldn't figure it out.

Once the hard tanks and all the partitions are out, there were a few corners and other pointy bits (handle for the ball valves on the fill pumps) that I covered with pool noodle and tennis balls to put less stress on the bags, not sure if that was necessary or not, but it was easy to do and I figure it can't hurt.

I got 45"L X 25"W X 20"H bags from Wakemakers listed at 910 lbs. I went with that size because it seemed about right from measurement of the space and they had blems in that size which saved some money. They fill the space pretty well, but probably don't fill completely to 910 lbs. I've got 600 lbs of lead that gets moved around depending on what we are doing. We slalom ski, wakeboard and surf (all at a proficient recreational level) and have a blast. We always have a mix of regular and goofy rides, so we just weight evenly, use a nauticurl and shift the lead around to switch sides surfing. I've tried listing and didn't notice much difference. Maybe with more weight it would be different, but we are having fun and it is quick to switch sides, easy to drive, etc.

When we are cruising around and waterskiing / kids wakeboarding, I have the lead distributed as follows:
150 lbs in bow
200 lbs under observer seat
50 lbs behind the driver seat
50 lbs on each side just in front of the rear lockers by each battery
50 lbs in each rear locker at the very back on the ledge above the ballast intakes

I like the extra weight under the observer seat to offset the driver because I'm most picky about side-to-side weight when I'm wakeboarding and usually it's my wife driving and the kids don't weigh too much yet.

For wakeboarding, I fill everything until the front bag is full (so rear bags have about 600 lbs each) and move 100 - 150 lbs of lead to the bow.
I ride 21 MPH at 65 ft and the wake is everything that I'll ever want.

Our older kids (12 and 10) surf with this weight setup and we just add the nauticurl.

For adult surfing, we fill up both rear bags the rest of the way and go. If it is just our family I will move the easily accessible lead to the surf side (250 - 300 lbs stays in the bow), otherwise a couple extra people go on the surf side. The lead at the very back of the rear lockers never moves because it is a pain to access. The wave does get bigger when we have a larger crew, but even when it is just our family we can all surf comfortably with the weight we have (I'm 6' and around 200 lbs). I have no interest in extra bags and might look into more lead at some point, but don't really want to be moving lead in and out when we want to ski... I'm still waiting for that right moment to suggest to my wife we get an older DD just for skiing. :-)

Anyway, that's what we do and we love the boat... I hope it helps.
Enjoy the new boat!
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-03-2020, 9:37 AM Reply   
Mpleasance,

That is helpful. I took out my 1100 out of my V230 so I guess I will just throw that one in one of the back lockers. Wakemakers recommended the 910's for the rear and they said it would fit in the locker without taking out any of the dividers. I find that hard to believe. Where can one buy lead for cheap? stupid question I know never looked into it though. I was thinking I could put in a fat sack and tie it to the stock tank, but I'm guessing filling and draining will be difficult. Thanks again for your setup!

Scott
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-16-2020, 4:29 PM Reply   
I've got an older 237, a 2009. I don't think much has changed with the shape or locker sizes, so I would expect much to be the same with the newest ones.

Honestly, it's a bit of a tough boat to weight well. It does seem to be very sensitive to weight placement, and even movement around the boat while in motion. If you can get it nailed, however, it can really throw a fun wave.

For starters, I got some custom bags for the rear lockers. With everything taken out I can fit somewhere around 900lbs bags in there on top of 350lbs or so of steel weight. I will only run with weight on one side. Across the back seat, I put a 750lbs bag. Under the surf side seat I put 100lbs of steel weight. Along surf side seat I put another 750lbs bag, but only filled to half or so. Depending on the rider, I will adjust the weight in the stock front ballast. Usually half or less works well. And then the cherry on top, a 50lbs bag of steel on the swim platform. Do not underestimate the platform weight.

I'm not sure what surf tabs you guys might have, but on mine there are port and stbd side adjustable tabs. My preference is to run with the surf side tab down 3-4 bars, and the non-surf side tab all the way up. Running at about 10.8-11.2mph gives a really enjoyable wave. Port side wave is better than goofy.

This is my all out setup. I will only run this when I have one or two other people in the boat. Other waves on the lake are not appreciated when riding this low. Also, you're gonna need some patience getting this boat up to speed, unless your model is newer with a modern diameter prop.

Going less than this is still good, but if you're looking for limits, this is it.
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-19-2020, 1:12 PM Reply   
I had a 2008 237 and owned it until 2014. As others have said, take the rear tanks out and replace with bags. I was able to remove them without cutting them but I remember it was a pain and they'd only come out one way. Front ballast is fine as is for surfing and I kept some of my lead up there for wakeboarding. I had 1100 bags and that worked but it bowed out my dividers. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I had to put some reinforcement in to keep it from being a problem. If I was to do it again I'd probably try a smaller bag that didn't mess up the dividers. I also had 800 libs of lead that I would put in the corner of the surf side of the boat. This was before they had those wake shapers you can suction cup to the side of the boat. Perhaps with that you can keep it more evenly weighted, not sure. I also wakeboarded half the time and for that I kept the lead even side-to-side and some lead in the nose and I didn't fill the rear ballast completely full...probably 600lbs on each side...a little extra on port if it was only the driver in the boat. Makes a great wakeboard wake that way. My crew was typically very small...just 1 or 2 in the boat when you have a rider. I agree with an earlier comment that you want the rear corner rubrail at water level for a good surf wave, but I don't remember any issues with swamping the boat. The person that mentioned 1100lb bags + 1500lb leaded + crew of 8 sounded like way overkill to me. I think if you have a big crew like that you don't even need the lead.