Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Jbeams2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-11-2019, 2:39 AM Reply   
Hey guys,

I am fairly new to wake surfing, but have been wakeboarding my whole life. Just bought an 04 enzo sv230 and trying to dial in my surf wave.

Looking to buy a new surf board to help progress my skills. I feel my current board is too big. I am 6 foot and 175-180lbs. Currently riding a hyperlite broadcast 5'4".

Leaning towards a hybrid so I can learn some spins, but also airs.

Any suggestions on the best board and board size for myself for the money would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       09-16-2019, 2:21 AM Reply   
Doomswell Neo in 4' 8". The Doomswell Nubstep is also a great board but since you are a beginner the Neo is going to feel more stable and also due to more volume will be easier for you to learn to recover.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-16-2019, 2:33 AM Reply   
Chaos Sixer. At your size, a 4'4" or 4'6".
https://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-sixer

Nick
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-24-2019, 11:06 AM Reply   
Your Wake Surfer is measured in Inches ,And Wakeboards in Centimeters??? INTERESTING
We have ALWAYS use Inches ,Making Wakeboarding Great Again...
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-25-2019, 3:19 AM Reply   
Depends on what style you are looking for, are you interested in skim tricks or surf style tricks

Phase 5 would have you covered for both and have great hybrids as well.

Plus they are made in then USA
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       12-09-2019, 2:54 AM Reply   
Your best bet is to try to demo a few boards. See if you can get on a couple through your local Centurion dealer or a local builder/shaper. What part of the country are you in?
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-24-2020, 7:19 AM Reply   
Phase5 Model X is an excellent hybrid board.

As for choosing my feeling is that you figure out what style of board would suit you and then get something that fits from a reputable manufacturer. then you learn to ride that board.

Oftentimes I've found that someone might demo boards and find one that feels super comfortable initially but then starts to limit their progression. It's better to start with a better performing board and then learn to ride it.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       04-13-2020, 4:31 AM Reply   
How does the Hyperlite Shim stack up to the above mentioned boards?
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       04-13-2020, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysurf View Post
Doomswell Neo in 4' 8". The Doomswell Nubstep is also a great board but since you are a beginner the Neo is going to feel more stable and also due to more volume will be easier for you to learn to recover.
How does that compare to the Chaos sixer ?
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       05-06-2020, 6:44 AM Reply   
it doesn't. The chaos is a custom board and one of the best on the planet. Doomswell is a mass produced unit that is really nothing special. Doomswell might be the most fragile board i have ever come across.

Last edited by haveboatwilltravel; 05-06-2020 at 6:47 AM.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-13-2020, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveboatwilltravel View Post
it doesn't. The chaos is a custom board and one of the best on the planet. Doomswell is a mass produced unit that is really nothing special. Doomswell might be the most fragile board i have ever come across.
I think they are actually pretty similar. Both made in China. I prefer to buy boards built in the USA.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-13-2020, 12:58 PM Reply   
Isn't the chaos a hand formed board in usa?
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-13-2020, 11:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbigpun66 View Post
Isn't the chaos a hand formed board in usa?
Nick makes custom boards here in the US, but the main runs are done in China. I've heard multiple people ask him directly about this and he never answers the question. Obviously if all of your boards were made in the US you would just say so. There are several companies that have quietly moved production over seas like Brigade, they say their boards are made in "exotic garages" I guess by "exotic garages" you mean factories in China. At least when Doomswell moved overseas they were very honest and public about it.
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       05-14-2020, 12:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideaNeversummer View Post
Nick makes custom boards here in the US, but the main runs are done in China. I've heard multiple people ask him directly about this and he never answers the question. Obviously if all of your boards were made in the US you would just say so. There are several companies that have quietly moved production over seas like Brigade, they say their boards are made in "exotic garages" I guess by "exotic garages" you mean factories in China. At least when Doomswell moved overseas they were very honest and public about it.

Watch out. Internet scolding coming up, you're not allowed to question where they are made or speak bad about them! They are one brand that will happily call you a feeble minded child on the internet for doing so.

Lets be real though. Theyre probably made in the same damn factory we're not stupid, we get the fact you're running a business and get better margins overseas.

Last edited by Squamer; 05-14-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: njnjnjnjn
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2020, 11:33 AM Reply   
There's a lot a boards you'd be happy with, we have a Doomwell Neo and we love it. It's a 4'8" and I will say a lot of the lighter girls and kids have a problem with it and don't like. A smaller one would probably suit them better.

Chaos makes awesome stuff, we ride a Chaos sixer regularly with friends and it's a ton of fun. I agree with Shakarocks, decide if you want to do a skim or surf style and pick any reputable brand and you'll enjoy it. The custom board companies carry a little bigger price tag but I've never heard someone regret it.

I'm not very familiar with where the boards are manufactured and can only speak from our experience but we're on year 2 of the doomswell with no issues, the chaos is new this summer but so far so good. We had a bad experience with Brigade however, we had one break after about 3 months of use and the most the company would do for me was offer $100 off a new one, so I vowed to stay away from them after that. Enjoyed riding the board just wasn't happy with the quality and the company response.
Attached Images

Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-15-2020, 2:07 PM Reply   
I know that the soulcraft boards are hand made in Cali. I have the voodoo and it is awesome.