Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-06-2017, 1:28 PM Reply   
We took a few of these for a run and brought you video of the results. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...r-testing.html
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-06-2017, 2:49 PM Reply   
All the waves look the same? Seems my original theory of anything back there will have the same effect?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-06-2017, 3:02 PM Reply   
Surprisingly, they are all very similar. I thought the Eight.3 had the least clean wave with more white water on the top. It's amazing how the difference in sizes doesn't seem to make a ton of difference. The Swell and Mission were the smallest, but the wave still looks great and might be the cleanest. The fact that the Swell is the cheapest puts them in a pretty good spot.
Old     (Ghanddi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-06-2017, 4:24 PM Reply   
Interesting to see the Eight.3 producing an unclean wave. That is what I use on my A20 and the wave is very clean! You do have to play with placement a little to get it right though. http://imgur.com/a/u2U4B

Last edited by Ghanddi; 06-06-2017 at 4:26 PM. Reason: Picture didnt work last time
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2017, 6:10 PM Reply   
This is pretty much a known, or known particularly with respect to those that roughly mimic a gate system. No one is making a leap in technology here. They are unremarkably similar. I do like that you included a fairly large spectrum of the forms or types out there.

The main differences we have seen are aesthetics, build and part quality.

A few will separate themselves over the next few years based on customer service and brand following.

I've talked with most of them over the past recent years. They all seem nice, all seem to be struggling a little or have in the past with pricing (especially 2-tier and 3-tier) as the market settles out.

I agree, the Swell system is a great product, great price point and floats.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-06-2017, 10:21 PM Reply   
With my 23LSV, there was really only one place to put the Ronix unit because of the step in the hull. However, it was right where they recommended. It said to put it as low as possible and as far to the rear as possible. I'm guessing the bringing it up a little higher might help. It was much deeper than the other ones were. Most of them said to put them just under the water line.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2017, 8:25 AM Reply   
This was a great idea for an article. Content like that is super helpful and interesting.
Old     (Ghanddi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-07-2017, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
With my 23LSV, there was really only one place to put the Ronix unit because of the step in the hull. However, it was right where they recommended. It said to put it as low as possible and as far to the rear as possible. I'm guessing the bringing it up a little higher might help. It was much deeper than the other ones were. Most of them said to put them just under the water line.
Yea due to the step on my A20 I ordered a second 2" shim. This gives me more play with where I can put the shaper.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-12-2017, 9:18 AM Reply   
Nauticurl is what I have and also puts out a very similar wave ($219 cost). I like them a lot due to great customer service. Have never not gotten a quick response, like that its made from aircraft aluminum....and they just came out with a floating model. They said its about to release and will give all prior buyers the option to buy and add to their existing Nauticurl for $10, so I will be adding that to mine for sure even tho it has not popped off on me, would be a nice feature so I dont have to tie it to a fender just in case it were to come off.
Even with the extra ballast, only adds 200rpm (went from 3200 to 3400) to my surf going at 11mph and the push is better than listed on my boat which is a 2014 Centurion SV244. Also like that it does not effect steering at ALL.
I think you are right, they all do about the same thing, so it comes down to price and customer service.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-14-2017, 9:53 AM Reply   
I have the Agenda Tsunami, excellent customer service! Although I got it for a hundo less, they must have raised their prices. The only thing I don't like is I have to get in the water to get the front clip on the suction down & tear up my finger in the process. Otherwise I love it with the adjustable face, can get a long good wave & I can get a wall of water with a very small sweet spot, I **** you not that wave is 5' tall. Still prefer my GSA though, just a ton of push & can surf 15-20' back.

Last edited by wakeworld; 10-06-2017 at 6:59 PM.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-15-2017, 6:01 AM Reply   
Another nauticurl user here. I think works awesome.. can't say better than others, but for the money I think it would be hard to beat.
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       10-06-2017, 6:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the kind words on NautiCurl all!
Cheers!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2017, 7:16 AM Reply   
Nauticurl +1 here love it and recommend it to everybody I know.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-06-2017, 9:46 AM Reply   
Nauticurl is awesome! I am wanting to try it with two next year. I also have DIY ones I made before nauticurl and they do well but over all I would give the nauticurl the leg up for several reasons. 1 their site is awesome, especially to get a great deal on doomswell!, 2. it does a great job with making a wake. 3 it floats. 4 it is no easy to store anywhere. My DIY ones are so much bigger and have bolts that can tear stuff. It is so well made as well. Over all I tried the mission and several home made, I think nauticurl does the best.
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-06-2017, 11:39 AM Reply   
Another +1 for Nauticurl. Not only is the product great but their service was just as good. I had family coming for the weekend from out of state last minute and they said they wold get it to me by then and they made good on it. Customer service was awesome the whole way. I didn't know if I suction cupped shaper would do that much before I got it to be honest, but it made a WORLD of a difference. Way longer, cleaner, push all of the way through. We wakeboard 90% of the time but when we want to surf, this makes it so much better and easier. Would 110% recommend nauticurl to anyone thinking about buying a shaper.
Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       10-06-2017, 7:13 PM Reply   
+1 for Nauticurl. Excellent.
Old     (wakechango)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-06-2017, 10:37 PM Reply   
What about home made?
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-26-2017, 10:48 AM Reply   
Thanks for researching and sharing your findings! It's great since there are so many different options out there. I went to Active Water Sports in Oregon and they let me try the Eight.3, Mission and Swell before I bought. I went with the Eight.3 and it works great on my wakesetter! The wake is way bigger, longer and cleaner. My brother also bought the Mission, which he just has an i/o right now, but it actually cleans up the wake way more than I expected. I actually think AWS has them on sale right now if you're interested in one...
Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       10-26-2017, 11:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoore View Post
Thanks for researching and sharing your findings! It's great since there are so many different options out there. I went to Active Water Sports in Oregon and they let me try the Eight.3, Mission and Swell before I bought. I went with the Eight.3 and it works great on my wakesetter! The wake is way bigger, longer and cleaner. My brother also bought the Mission, which he just has an i/o right now, but it actually cleans up the wake way more than I expected. I actually think AWS has them on sale right now if you're interested in one...
Your brother is surfing behind an I/O? That's some scary ****.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-27-2017, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Your brother is surfing behind an I/O? That's some scary ****.
I would agree with you 100%, very scary!. Take it from someone who as the Dr and hospital said, never seen that happen before, but I did take a propeller to the ankle , well below it. They said they have only seen it on the bottom of feet from people who slip onto it. Mine the driver on I/O turned it into me as I was making my way to the boat, and because of the waves in the ocean it was on to fight the waves. Its a very nasty thing to see when your foot opens completely up and see you bones and muscles. I proved that day I am weak, because I passed out at the sight of my bone and layers of skin. still have a lot of people in that ankle now and then.

DO NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES NEAR A PROP!!!!!!!!
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-29-2017, 11:46 AM Reply   
We do some big houseboat trips every year. A guy who wants to bring his boat on some of these trips has pimped a Sea Ray out for surfing and it has a pretty nice wave. The problem of course is that it's a stern drive. I already knew this is a dangerous situation but others needed convincing. I ended up talking to a couple of boat insurance companies about whether we should let him bring his boat on the trip. Each company said the guy was crazy to be surfing behind a stern drive and that they would deny any surf related claim that came from his boat. After that conversation we told him to leave his boat at home.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-01-2017, 8:37 AM Reply   
Nate post some pics
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-03-2017, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Nate post some pics
this is the only pic I could find on my FB, I was to busy passing out from the site of the bone HAHA, the foot is so swollen. This just proves I am a PANSY when it comes to blood and ugh. Still have pain and weird feeling it something touches it today.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-09-2017, 9:09 AM Reply   
got lucky dude
Old     (NoleAlum)      Join Date: Jun 2017       11-15-2017, 5:11 AM Reply   
+1 for Nauticurl! Made my own suckgate but the Nauticurl made all of the difference in the world! Love the product and the customer service is fantastic!
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       02-21-2018, 6:13 PM Reply   
Yikes Nate, lucky for sure!!

Hey guys, we’re looking to sponsor a number of WakeSurf Fests or Tournaments this summer (hopefully warm water comes soon), any recommendations?

Cheers!
NautiCurl.com
Go USA! 🇺🇸
Old     (WakeSurf22)      Join Date: Dec 2016       05-06-2019, 2:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeab8 View Post
Another +1 for Nauticurl. Not only is the product great but their service was just as good. I had family coming for the weekend from out of state last minute and they said they wold get it to me by then and they made good on it. Customer service was awesome the whole way. I didn't know if I suction cupped shaper would do that much before I got it to be honest, but it made a WORLD of a difference. Way longer, cleaner, push all of the way through. We wakeboard 90% of the time but when we want to surf, this makes it so much better and easier. Would 110% recommend nauticurl to anyone thinking about buying a shaper.
Hi Wakeworld crew, we wanted to spread some love and offer code WAKEWORLD20 for $20 off your order for anybody looking to improve their wake or add to their quiver this year. Thanks again for all the support, we work hard to keep our quality products at a low price and are here to answer any questions.
Enjoy the surf!
JC
NautiCurl.com
PS - Check out my old lady rockin the 49 degree MN water, she’s committed this year!
Attached Images

Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-06-2020, 7:20 AM Reply   
Wakeworld Group! We just launched our new H3X (version 3) wake shaper series and are looking for 3-5 people from this page that have the opportunity to use them in the next 30 days. In return for a bit of work from you, pics and feedback, we will send you a 35% refund.

If you are interested please email me at adam@swellwake.com and let me know your boat make and model,

and thanks everyone for all the support over the years! We really think we have something special here!

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-08-2020, 1:36 AM Reply   
Looks like a lot of parts that can fail or wear out pretty easily and wreck a surf day to me. Nothing worse missing a day of surfing because something didn't work.
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-08-2020, 1:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
Looks like a lot of parts that can fail or wear out pretty easily and wreck a surf day to me. Nothing worse missing a day of surfing because something didn't work.
Andy_nintzel of Nauticurl, we have a lifetime warranty! and have done extensive testing, all our products we’ve launched have made waves better and we’ll never stop innovating!

Cheers Andy!
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       05-08-2020, 3:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Kinda shady to throw that out there and not disclose your involvement with a competing product
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-11-2020, 3:43 AM Reply   
Oh Boy you think you got me Macpres by calling me out for Being part of NautiCurl. I don't hide my involvement, I am all over this forum posting about my company. I have been on this forum for like 16 years, nothing shady about about that. Now you guys (Swell) joining a few years ago and only posting to push products.......that's a bit sketch.... We just took one look at this shaper and thought, "wow lots of moving parts that can fail and if the build quality is like the other products we've seen and purchased.....yikes"
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-11-2020, 4:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Oh Boy you think you got me Macpres by calling me out for Being part of NautiCurl. I don't hide my involvement, I am all over this forum posting about my company. I have been on this forum for like 16 years, nothing shady about about that. Now you guys (Swell) joining a few years ago and only posting to push products.......that's a bit sketch.... We just took one look at this shaper and thought, "wow lots of moving parts that can fail and if the build quality is like the other products we've seen and purchased.....yikes"

Our customers love it! Has made a huge difference for them! And as always lifetime guarantee and our SWELL Promise, use it for 30 days and if you dont like it for any reason, send it back for a full refund!