Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    Wakesurfmax            11-23-2016, 6:49 PM Reply   
Whats that ONE boat thats the best for surfing under 20k.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-24-2016, 11:13 AM Reply   
if you can find one for 20k avalanche is probably the best. good luck
Old    Wakesurfmax            11-26-2016, 6:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
if you can find one for 20k avalanche is probably the best. good luck
or under 25k plz respond
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-26-2016, 7:03 PM Reply   
Southwest flies from Houston to cabo and Costa Rica. That is like 60 trips. That is the best surf wave for 20K.

I had a sport natique that killed it for surfing. You could easily grab one from the mid 2000s for 20K.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-27-2016, 7:21 AM Reply   
i've got a 99 malibu VLX that is great for surfing ... 750s in the rear 500 in locker IBS across surf corner and wicked wakesurf gate. should be able to find one around 20k .
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-28-2016, 5:37 AM Reply   
Find a deep v hull like centurion, tige, MB. I had a 2002 Malibu VLX and while slamming it to the max and using a gate made a respectable wave it has nothing on a deep v wave when it comes to the amount of pocket and push
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       11-28-2016, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have this for sale that would fit what your looking for pretty well. It has a wedge installed on it and bigger motor that would surf well. Anything under 20k is gonna be very tough to find a clean V-Drive.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/5842645554.html
Old    Wakesurfmax            11-28-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
What board have the deepest v?
Old    Wakesurfmax            11-28-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
Boats^*
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-28-2016, 6:18 PM Reply   
Tige 21v is a great budget surf boat. That or the avalanche. Both throw amazing waves for the price. Older sanger v215s can be found cheap. If you want a deep boat get the old Tige 21v or 22v. Deep and heavy old boats. Don't get a malibu or mastercraft in that era. They had pretty flat hulls. Great for wakeboarding, just not great for surfing.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-29-2016, 6:52 AM Reply   
MAx,

I agree with Duffy, but if you can find a Malibu they aren't bad. I bought a 04 Malibu vlx, love it. Great for wake boarding, got a great wake for surfing in my opinion. I am not to the duffy level yet, bc I am not doing tricks. If you are looking for a good starter boat you cant go wrong. Especially the price I paid for what I got. To make it even better I just bought black Friday a 1100 lb bag. I love the boat. It has a better wake then the 05 supra 24 launch I been use to riding.
I am doing big of a guy to do any tricks yet, but as I lose weight and get into tricks I am sure ill be switching to a more expensive boat. Keep your eye on craigslist. That is where I found mine, be willing to drive a little too, I drove 4 hours to get it.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-30-2016, 6:06 AM Reply   
Hey just wanted to let you know there was an 04 centurion for sale for 15k. it has around 400 hours I believe. Its not the perfect surf, but it has the fat sacs, the wake plate, the deep hull. Its in ATL, might be worth looking if you want something under 20k for a first surfing boat.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-30-2016, 6:10 AM Reply   
Comparing a pre-05 vlx to an avy or 21v is not really a fair comparison at all. Avy/21v are on a whole different level surf wake wise.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-30-2016, 11:23 AM Reply   
I would agree with you, except for the fact I tested both boths. The best wake was the vlx. The avy, did not have a good goofy wake, it had a walk through. I am sure you can spend a lot of money and special fat sacs, but I wasn't looking at that. I wanted the best boat for the buck, and a decent surf wake both side. It produced a good long wake wasn't high but good push, but now with the bigger fat sac I am hoping that I can get it bigger as well. IN my opinion I got the best bang for my buck!. It would have been foolish to buy the avy over this boat. Surf and wake boarding the Malibu was better then the avy 21 walk thru. Stock to stock models.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-30-2016, 11:28 AM Reply   
yes, of course on the avy you want a non-walkthrough model if you surf goofy. Agree with that 100%. And once you have one the wave will be way better than you can get from the vlx hull (believe me, tried everything short of sinking our 2006 vride before I moved on).

I can see you are stoked on your purchase and the 04 VLX is a great boat. Killer wakeboard wake without much weight, easy on gas, easy to tow, classic lines. There's a lot to love. But it really shouldn't be in the discussion of "hands down best surf wave" at any price point.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 11-30-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-30-2016, 12:30 PM Reply   
I understand. But I stick with my opinion. what that boat needed, was way to much to put cash into. If he is looking for a boat without spending a lot of cash to fix up, I still would stand by my opinion. To get mine for just under 20k, and all I've done so far is fat sac, which is cheap. Compared to what it would cost me cash wise to get that boat with perfect pass, the right fat sac, the trim plate, it wasn't worth it. I am not saying its hands down the best, I am giving my advice. I used advice from others to stay away from certain boats, but honestly I test drove the vlx and it was better surf then the avy, now if I wanted to spend 30k, OMG YES I would have gotten the centurion avy c4. in my opinion, most boats can become a better surf boat with dialing it in. FOr under 20k it will be almost next to impossible to find for hands down best surfing! I mean we been using 05 24 launch supra, which is doing a good job but once again a little more then 20k, but we did get it dialed in when most people said we cant. That's all my thoughts were, is stock to stock, the test drive I did, the VLX out performed the avy with walk through and most boats under 20k I looked at. Just keep in mind if your budget goes up to 30k, you can get a GREAT surf boat, a lot of centurions are at that price range!
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-30-2016, 12:54 PM Reply   
Also last thing, don't throw out Moomba. It might not be hands down the best wave, depends on your def though of hands down but you can get a decent Moomba that produces a good long wave for cheap. I missed out on one that sold for 22k, it was an 08. Guy was getting out of the sport. It can have all the big fat sacs in the compartments and it produced a great weak when I tested it. Im a big guy so if the wave works for me, it would be great for you small skinny ppl. just saying TEST DRIVE everything VDRIVE!
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-10-2016, 3:23 PM Reply   
I've been really impressed with the Tige 21v for surfing. Especially with a sucgate on it. Really easy to set up. Really easy to surf. My buddy picked one up for 17k. It needed about 3k of work but 20k was where he wanted to be.
Old    Jacksurf            05-23-2017, 2:49 PM Reply   
Hey I was going to create a new thread until I saw this thread! So I'm also looking for the "hands down best wakesurf boat under 20k" as he puts it, it sounds like the old tige is one of the best,but I wondering if you use a suckgate if that changes the choices, cause from my understanding you want a deep v to easily get the boat to lean one way to get the wave so if you use a suckgate you won't equal weight so would that change the kind of hull/boat u want? Anyways I heard hydrodyne v drive boats can surf great, but anyways what is the best surf boat you can get for under 20k? Thanks for input a head of time!
Old    Jacksurf            05-23-2017, 2:50 PM Reply   
Want not won't *^
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       05-23-2017, 9:35 PM Reply   
There is no "best", cause that depends on the person. There are better than others for sure....but there is no ONE best surf boat for under $20k...not even for $100k cause everyone likes something a little different. I might say Centurion RI and the next guy will say Supra and the next will say Tige, etc. All depends on the deal you find , what you find sexy and how brand loyal you are. IMO, in that year/price range you are talking about, for "best" surfing and engine reliability (if taken care of) you are likely looking at Centurion or Tige mainly due to the deep V hulls so you can max out ballast with listing, or with suck gate... since both can put out a nice wave with the right ballast.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-24-2017, 3:39 AM Reply   
Recently discovered cabin cruisers are the best surf boats by far.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-24-2017, 5:51 AM Reply   
Word!^
Old    Jacksurf            05-24-2017, 2:01 PM Reply   
So what model v drive tige is the best 2100, 2200, 23000?
Old    Jacksurf            05-24-2017, 2:02 PM Reply   
2300*^
Old    Jacksurf            05-24-2017, 2:04 PM Reply   
Also how does the super sport nautiqui compared with the avy/tige
Old    Jacksurf            05-24-2017, 2:05 PM Reply   
Also how does the lsv moomba and old hydrodyne v drive compare?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-24-2017, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
Recently discovered cabin cruisers are the best surf boats by far.
most have outdrives too. meaning you shouldn't surf behind them
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-25-2017, 10:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksurf View Post
So what model v drive tige is the best 2100, 2200, 23000?
2100 and 2300 waves are very similar and can be very good. The 2100 is the most tradition interior layout. The 2300 has two captains chairs unless you find the rare '03 1/2 that has the traditional observers seat. I've only ever seen two of them.

The 2200 had no spray pockets. The only one I've seen is very good. They only ever had the funky helm though.

If I was looking for one, I'd be looking for that '03 1/2. Best blend of performance, interior and helm. I think basing a decision of surf wake only is kinda like splitting hairs. They're all good with the potential to be really good.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-25-2017, 10:31 AM Reply   
For reference, here's an '01 21v with only a 400 V-drive sac, sucgate, 2 adults (1m, 1f), and 3 small children in the boat.
Attached Images

Last edited by fence_sence; 05-25-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old    Jacksurf            05-25-2017, 9:00 PM Reply   
So can the tige 21v be classified as the best wakesurf boat under 20k? What do u think? Any boats better than the tige 21? Any other old tiges that are better?
Old     (Gonzo)      Join Date: May 2015       05-27-2017, 5:51 PM Reply   
There is a 99 230 just listed here for 22. Mine surfs pretty good.. guy in picture is like 6'2" and 380 lbs..... Jk Hammer, ..... 235ish?
Old     (Gonzo)      Join Date: May 2015       05-28-2017, 5:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
There is a 99 230 just listed here for 22. Mine surfs pretty good.. guy in picture is like 6'2" and 380 lbs..... Jk Hammer, ..... 235ish?
Sorry, taptalk got me confused, that boat is over on MC team talk.
Old    Jacksurf            05-28-2017, 4:04 PM Reply   
Are the tiges the heaviest v drives you can get for under 25k?
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-30-2017, 7:07 AM Reply   
The Malibu guy is wrong. The Avy is the best of this bunch followed closely by the Tige. If you're looking at Avy's then you want the C4 hull which does not have the walkthough transom. Weight it correctly and you will have a very good wave. If you want to fix the goofy wave (which is really a problem that stems from the left hand rotation prop) then get an asymmetrical wakeplate fabricated and bolt it on. If you already have a trim tab it will cost between $100-200. It will make your goofy wave amazing. Instructions on how to do the asymmetrical wakeplate mod are over at CenturionCrew.com.
Old     (surfidaho)      Join Date: May 2014       05-30-2017, 7:49 AM Reply   
All of the boats mentioned can throw nice waves, the only "hands down" winner is the one you own So I will add my vote for my Tige 2300v

[IMG][/IMG]
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       05-30-2017, 9:15 AM Reply   
As already stated...so, why not state it again. Find a well cared for Centurion or Tige. If not already done, upgrade the prop and install enough ballast to lean her over to near the rub rail and get at it. Granted, it is not that easy, the set up will still take some tweaking. Also as mentioned, it is a lot about personal preference, but for older boats, there is something about the hull design of Centurion and Tige that when surfing hit, it was found that they worked.

Let us all know where you are located. Maybe you can find a few people that will give you a pull behind their boat so you can check it our before purchasing.
Old    Jacksurf            05-30-2017, 5:54 PM Reply   
I'm thinking of not leaning the boat but eveneliy weighting it and getting a duck gate...so get a centurion or tige is what hearing...thanks everyone...add any final thoughts if you want!
Old    Jacksurf            05-30-2017, 5:55 PM Reply   
Suck gate*^
Old     (resko1)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-14-2017, 6:32 PM Reply   
Centurion avalanche.
But i would look at both the tige 21v and 22v.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-30-2017, 10:40 PM Reply   
Here is a 2004 Centurion Cyclone for $16k in SC...under 100hrs

https://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/6160807800.html
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-01-2017, 7:02 AM Reply   
That would be a great affordable starter boat there!
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-01-2017, 7:22 PM Reply   
Hell of a great price too...image the owner does not know he could get over $20k in this market and boat will sell fast. Original owner with under 100hrs?? I cannot fathom this....I put more hours on every summer than this, crazy!
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-04-2019, 10:04 AM Reply   
Hope you guys don't mind if I bump this old thread.
What years or year range would you suggest if looking for that tige 21v 22v, or the centurion avalanche ? My budget is closer to 28k but it seems utah boat values are inflated . I was ready to put a deposit on a clean 2004 wakesetter vlx w 400 hrs when I saw this post .
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       08-11-2019, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbabs View Post
Hope you guys don't mind if I bump this old thread.
What years or year range would you suggest if looking for that tige 21v 22v, or the centurion avalanche ? My budget is closer to 28k but it seems utah boat values are inflated . I was ready to put a deposit on a clean 2004 wakesetter vlx w 400 hrs when I saw this post .
I live in UT, Park City area and ride Rockport 2-4 days a week. I have a VERY dialed in 22V that I can give you pull in see if you like them. Most people in UT are delusional about their boat pricing, I bought mine in the dead of winter for the best deal.

There was 22VE on KSL recently for 26K, only lasted a few days though. Get the newest, cleanest, and most optioned out boat you can.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-13-2019, 5:24 PM Reply   
That would be amazing . How late can you still hit rockport and what year range is the sweet spot on the 22ve ?
Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-02-2019, 4:16 AM Reply   
Hi All, I just joined this forum and can't see how to start up a new discussion but did see I could reply to this one. Can anyone tell me the best wakesurfing boats for big water. I need something high in the bow and very strong as we also do a lot of tubing on georgian bay and the boat needs to be very strong as it takes a beating in the big waves but I really want to wakesurf with it also. Any suggestions?
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-08-2019, 5:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Hi All, I just joined this forum and can't see how to start up a new discussion but did see I could reply to this one. Can anyone tell me the best wakesurfing boats for big water. I need something high in the bow and very strong as we also do a lot of tubing on georgian bay and the boat needs to be very strong as it takes a beating in the big waves but I really want to wakesurf with it also. Any suggestions?
Centurion Enzo SV230/233 or SV 240/244 have great deep V hulls that will handle the rough water better than anything in its range. Plus they are the original surf boats.
Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-23-2019, 3:08 AM Reply   
What about 21 or 22' boats for big water?