Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-02-2019, 4:26 AM Reply   
Hi All, Can anyone tell me the best wakesurfing boats for big water. I need something high in the bow and very strong as we also do a lot of tubing on Georgian Bay as well. The boat needs to be super strong as it takes a beating in the big waves but I really want to wakesurf and wakeboard with it also but great wakesurfing is my priority. Any suggestions?
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-03-2019, 11:11 AM Reply   
Tige 24v or Ve. Big boat with a deep v and a great surf wave. Also can be had for under 40k with room to do some mods.
Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-04-2019, 4:05 AM Reply   
Are there smaller models that would also be good in the waves? Also, are there certain years that are better than others?
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-04-2019, 4:23 AM Reply   
Just for reference I picked up this 23ft 2011 Mobius XLV with gravity games ballast, super clean, with the trailer for 35K.
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-04-2019, 6:23 AM Reply   
The issue you are going to have with any older boat is that they aren`t going to be as high out of the water as the new boats. Guess it depends on your definition of big water but my VE is alright in bigger water. It still has the turned down nose so it can dip pretty easily if you aren't watching. Anything over a 3' chop it's going to start feeling a little hairy especially at idle.
Attached Images

Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-04-2019, 8:20 AM Reply   
I am out often in 3-6 foot waves on Georgian Bay. My boat takes a beating so I need it to be strong and high in the bow. I can go up to 40k us or 55k Canadian.
Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-04-2019, 8:22 AM Reply   
Is the Moomba or Malibu higher?
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-04-2019, 10:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Is the Moomba or Malibu higher?

Look at a Centurion. Hard for me to read someone said Tige has a deep V hull. I thought Tige were one of the flattest hulls out there. Malibu?? Wouldn't even be on my radar. Moomba maybe if I was buying brand new, used no way.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-05-2019, 12:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamer View Post
Moomba maybe if I was buying brand new, used no way.
I've owned:

Mastercraft X-Star
Malibu Wakesetter VLX
Calabria Team V
Tige 20V
Mastercraft Prostar 205

And liked the Moomba enough to buy one...….guess i screwed up this time LOL.

Last edited by bstroop; 11-05-2019 at 12:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-05-2019, 4:05 AM Reply   
Tige was one of the very few that was ahead of their time for having a V'd hull in the early-mid 2000's. The rest were all flat. By today's standard the older era Tige's won't be as deep as the new boats but that's also what makes the older Tiges good surf boats compared to a lot of others. An old 24VE can stand with a lot of the current offerings with wave size and length. Centurion and was the only other at the time to start going with a deeper V as well.

To the OP: I think all of the older era boats that are in your price range sit out of the water around the same height. Malibu may be slightly higher as I bow didn't turn down but it won't surf as well. That's where the V comes in.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-05-2019, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
I am out often in 3-6 foot waves on Georgian Bay. My boat takes a beating so I need it to be strong and high in the bow. I can go up to 40k us or 55k Canadian.
So like waist to head plus?

Yikes...
Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-05-2019, 1:13 PM Reply   
I have a line on a nice 2011 -
21' Moomba VLX. How's that for surfing? Does it have a good v hull for big water?
Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-05-2019, 1:15 PM Reply   
actually it is a Moomba LSV. Don't know what the difference is though.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-08-2019, 5:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamer View Post
Look at a Centurion. Hard for me to read someone said Tige has a deep V hull. I thought Tige were one of the flattest hulls out there. Malibu?? Wouldn't even be on my radar. Moomba maybe if I was buying brand new, used no way.
Tige doesn't have a deep V, not like Centurion has a deep V anyway. Still, the older Tige's were really good surf boats and did pretty well in rough water.
Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-08-2019, 12:32 PM Reply   
So, I guess it is either Centurion or Tige? Which one is stronger built? Which one is best in waves? Which one has the best 21 or 22' under 40k us.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-09-2019, 1:48 AM Reply   
there is really no good wake boat to take on 3 to 6 ft waves. one over the bow and your boat and day is over! 3ft wave is huge for a wake boat, 6ft wave is huge for center console boats. Are you sure you even want to mess with a wake boat if thats the conditions you have to deal with?
Old     (Xtreme)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Jarosław Send a message via ICQ to Xtreme       11-09-2019, 5:16 AM Reply   
I do Wakeboarding, Waterskiing and Tubing as part of my business. Most of the time it is less that 3' waves but being on Georgian Bay, if the wind picks up to over 15 knots it can happen and we don't want to close down unless we have to. I don't really want to have 2 boats but really want to offer (and do myself) wakesurfing whenever we can. We use a 205 Bayliner right now and it has served us well but being a I/O it's not good for wakesurfing. Anybody have any suggestions?