Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       08-25-2019, 9:15 AM Reply   
Just wanted to get some opinions on a boat upgrade...

I currently have a 98' VLX that is about as dialed as it's going to get, and all I do is surf. Pushing about 3000lbs of ballast with an Acme 1615.
- 750s in the rear (which I'm considering swapping for the 1100s, but there really isn't much more room and I'd have to stoutly reinforce the engine dividers).
- 400 on each side (under port seats and behind driver).
- 650 in the locker (limited fill to locker capacity).
- 250 in bow (looking at adding the 750lb underseat bow bag here).
- Mission delta shaper.

I've been looking at moving to a 05-08' VLX and was curious how much "better" the surf wake is going to be in this boat?
I know I'll be able to get the 1100s in the back of this plus the stock rear MLS. Possibly mid side bags under seats like I currently have plus the center stock MLS. That 750lb underseat bow bag plus the stock bow MLS. Could push it up to 4000+ lbs in that next gen boat, give myself a little more room and convenience as well.

I love the Malibu but am not opposed to going to a different make/model if there is a better boat in this same price range ($35-40k) that will produce a better surf wake. I do need to stay with this same 21' length in order to get it in my garage though.

Here is my kid behind my current VLX...

Thanks!

Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-04-2019, 4:26 PM Reply   
Does your current boat have the wedge? My wedge wasn’t working last summer and we got it fixed this summer. Night and day different amount of push with the wedge. If your current boat doesn’t have the wedge than I bet you would notice the difference getting a boat with power wedge. In our ‘08 vtx We run 3,150 pounds ballast, wedge at max wake position, mission delta, 10.6 on the speed. Bigger boat you could do with even more ballast. Took us all last summer and this to get it dialed but we are really happy with it now. All the ballast is hidden thanks to the mls system, plug n play in the rear lockers, and 400lb of lead. This pic is with 4 adults and 4 kids in the boat. The extra people weight really wakes this wake up!