Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-25-2019, 3:33 PM Reply   
First time rider 11yo.
Would love to have a board for him to grow into a little bit but if not, 2 other kids right under him in age .
What do you guys think? Could my wife ride those at 140lb?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-26-2019, 12:33 AM Reply   
Fro cast is too small for that weight. You need to start looking into 4’2”-4’4” boards. I have a son the same age and size and I just bought him the Idol Surf JC. It’s the perfect size for him.
Old     (ksizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-26-2019, 3:58 AM Reply   
My 7 year old (45 lbs) son usually rides my wife's Victoria Project V. She really loves the board, and swears by it. I've ridden it, and although its too small for me, it is really fun to ride.

We also have a Phase 5 Scamp, but my son doesn't really notice a difference between the two and it saves us having to carry around one extra board.

He cannot ride without the rope, but he likes being able to carve aggressively with the skim style board, if that helps.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-26-2019, 4:24 AM Reply   
NautiCurl Groms are Great, 44" and made for a Grom, not just a little version of an adult board.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-26-2019, 4:27 AM Reply   
I bought a Scamp a couple years back for my kids as they start coming up. This year I took a larger 2" fin and put it on the Scamp for my wife which she really liked over the previous boards she was riding. I find the downfall of the Scamp is that it is a skim board so it's obviously that much looser than a traditional surf style board. The 2" fin definitely gives the board a bit more direction and should also help once the kids start getting on it.

Yes, your wife could ride the Scamp too. My wife is right around that weight as well. Heck, I can ride the Scamp behind my boat I just can move around much.lol.
Attached Images

Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-26-2019, 7:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
Fro cast is too small for that weight. You need to start looking into 4’2”-4’4” boards. I have a son the same age and size and I just bought him the Idol Surf JC. It’s the perfect size for him.

So scamp over gromcast if we are going to just have 1 board for 11yo and mom .

But would the gromcast be better than the scamp if it were the kids dedicated board ?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-26-2019, 7:41 AM Reply   
Like I said before the GRomcast Is going to be way too small.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-26-2019, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
Like I said before the GRomcast Is going to be way too small.
says the weight rating on the gromcast is around 100lbs though
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-27-2019, 7:10 AM Reply   
Yeah, which will work until next season. Why waste morning on a board that he will outgrow by next season?
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-27-2019, 7:29 AM Reply   
got it. i will have longer use out of the scamp since the weight rating is higher and the fins are adjustable?
any other entry level boards that are versatile for beginner young teens?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-27-2019, 11:25 AM Reply   
Something like a small victoria agent might do double duty.
http://wakestore.victoriaskimboards....9-agent-small/