Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-14-2019, 12:51 PM Reply   
I’m thinking about getting a Soulcraft. I’ve heard rumors they aren’t made in the USA. Does anyone know if this is a made in America product?
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-14-2019, 1:07 PM Reply   
Made in California my friend.
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-14-2019, 1:12 PM Reply   
All of them? I’ve had a couple friends tell me they are made in Mexico.
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-14-2019, 4:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoore View Post

Nope!! though you could make a case for California being Mexico already...

Kidding aside these are all hand made boards made here in the USA.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-14-2019, 5:07 PM Reply   
Quote:

Yep. Your friends are misinformed. You could ask Jeff? Very nice guy.
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-14-2019, 10:26 PM Reply   
That’s weird. I feel like my friends are a good source. They have SUPs made out of a factory in Mexico and they brag about the factorys quality because its the same place that makes Soulcrafts boards. I’m not trying to blow the horn but I think you should ask Jeff where they’re made. I’m not buying.
Old     (Summer225)      Join Date: Apr 2016       03-15-2019, 3:10 AM Reply   
They are made in the USA, I’ve been to Jeff’s place in Oceanside and seen the “factory”. I can assure you they are all handmade in California....other posters are correct, he’s a super nice guy too.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-15-2019, 3:12 AM Reply   
Jeff is a good personal friend of ours. His factory is in southern California. All boards are made in house. Nothing has been outsourced except the foam CNC which is still done in California. Sorry to tell you your friends are not a very good source
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-15-2019, 4:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
That’s weird. I feel like my friends are a good source. They have SUPs made out of a factory in Mexico and they brag about the factorys quality because its the same place that makes Soulcrafts boards. I’m not trying to blow the horn but I think you should ask Jeff where they’re made. I’m not buying.

It doesn’t sound like you were asking then.....

But, to state it again: SoCal made. Which is not far from Mexico, I guess? So they’re made near Mexico.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 03-15-2019 at 4:15 AM.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       03-15-2019, 7:10 AM Reply   
If I was Soulcraft I'd have Mexicans shaping & forming for nickels & making 800% mark ups. But that's just me
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-15-2019, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat2wombat View Post
If I was Soulcraft I'd have Mexicans shaping & forming for nickels & making 800% mark ups. But that's just me
Right! I don’t doubt that he makes some of the boards in his “factory” but it would be hard to say no to Mexico prices.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-15-2019, 7:57 AM Reply   
Deleted.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 03-15-2019 at 8:01 AM.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-15-2019, 8:16 AM Reply   
Made in USA. You need to check the facts before you take task with a guy that works his a$$ off for his business. Dig in a little...

In the past? There could have been another line made elsewhere, again not totally sure, but if so that’s gone.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-15-2019, 8:49 AM Reply   
Yes in the past soulcraft was made somewhere else that somewhere being Idaho before Jeff and his family moved back to California.

Last edited by h20king; 03-15-2019 at 8:54 AM.
Old     (Summer225)      Join Date: Apr 2016       03-17-2019, 4:27 AM Reply   
100% made in USA, fact.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-19-2019, 7:29 AM Reply   
To be clear, Mexico was the first China/Thailand. Surfboards have been made in Mexico for many many many years, and recently some blank and other accessory manufacturers have moved south again and there is a little bit of a industry revival down there. Years ago the industry was hit hard and many manufacturers pulled their production back in house. Boards are selling again, but most of your big brands get a large percentage to nearly 100% produced in a handful of factories in China and Thailand. Most boards are produced in factories in southern california, these factories are not really any different that factories all over the world. Yes, 'soulcraft' has had boards made elsewhere, using other factories. When Jeff was in Idaho building the brand, he was a one man show more or less. He moved back to Oceanside and partnered up with shop he use to manage production in, before moving out to Idaho. However, over the years some boards have been outsourced to other factories around the area, and they routinely use contract artists for art and others for builds. First thing to understand, is board building in California is largely a contract job, people are largely task managers. They come in and paint boards, or glass boards, or install fin boxes, etc. Every task has a per unit price and there is a person that does that task, a shaper or these days a $20 rub out guy who cleans up the CNC shape, a laminator, sander, painter, and the shop kid that handles QC at the end and installs the fin box screws, packing, etc. However, as you can imagine, many of these task managers are not necessarily reliable, they are surfers, surf in the morning, work on some boards surf or fish in the evening, or work on boards at night. Others are alcoholics, meth heads and opium addicts, sorry for the reality check. Every factory, aside from a few with a really tight groups are constantly looking for people to fill a the role of sander, laminators, shop kid, etc. These are basically low pay, dirty jobs and Mexico isn't stealing these jobs. These are jobs no one wants. The youth of today has very little interest in shaping and building boards. They all want to build "lifestyle" brands and pay others to build products for them. American surfboard factories are full of old grumpy men that will soon be gone. If I was a betting man I would suspect the K-skim is produced in a outside shop. That is all I will say.

Nick
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-19-2019, 8:50 AM Reply   
Sorry nick talked with Jeff yesterday all boards still made in his factory.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-19-2019, 9:32 AM Reply   
Harold, that may be true, maybe not. In the past he got bamboo boards made outside his factory, this did not work out. As I remember also was going to get a line made by Hydroflex, which was one of the many new kids on the block promoting old vacuum bagging as new, but they are all but gone now. He teamed up to do some of those silly removable/changeable tails techs. I am not saying any boards are currently made outside the oceanside factory or not, or even if just glassing/finishing might be done outside on some boards. There is technically another factory next door in the same building, which is pretty normal. Most industrial complexes have two or more factories along with usually an auto repair shop and other trades. Obviously some paint/artwork work gets done outside the factory. This is all normal and part of the industry.

Nick
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-19-2019, 11:19 AM Reply   
All still done in house. Any experimental colaberation boards like the bamboo board were never offered for sale to the public. When I went and visited Jeff and spent time at the factory there were no other board manufacturers in the complex. Art has always been subbed.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-19-2019, 11:30 AM Reply   
Nick what percent of chaos is built in the states? Are you still having boards made overseas? I have tried your boards and your China boards and there is a difference.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-19-2019, 11:45 AM Reply   
Barr Surfboards is right next door same building, like the door 10-15 feet over, they have been there forever. I've been in both factories.
Walker Project is around the corner a few blocks away. Barry Snyder is like 2 block over on the same street.
There are about 10 shaper/board factories within a that industrial area of Oceanside.

Not that any of this is really relevant to the OP's concern. I can think of only one other way someone might confuse boards being made in Mexico.
Some blanks are made in Mexico, that could be the confusion here. Just looking at things objectively.

Nick
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-19-2019, 12:22 PM Reply   
Hello everyone, It has been years since my last post. I had to stay away from forums as I take negative comments to heart. I do consider what I do as art and it is my passion to build boards and put smiles on the faces of my customers.

First thing, This all could've been solved with a simple email to me to ask rather than a blastful post. I really do appreciate everyone above sticking up for me and my business.

So 100% of the custom order boards are built in my shop in Oceanside. We did have a 1 run and done set of "Dealer Only Price Point" boards made by a shop in Mexico. This shop is run by my friends and they offered me a opportunity to come in as they build boards for some of the top ocean surfboards companies which I will not name. These boards were meant to compete with the mass produced big company boards that are made overseas. 2018 we had a very select dealer group sell these boards at $750. Unfortunately the time lines and quality were not met and I ended up rebuilding and building a lot of the Mexico ordered boards in house. Since this run we keep 100% of all orders in house and restructured our production so all 2019 dealers had to place orders over the 2018 winter to keep custom build times shorter in the peak summer months.

In the past we had 2 boards made out of bamboo which one was for a customer that knew I sent it to a glassing factory to get vacuumed bagged. The other was a personal board which I gave to a very close friend.
As Nick said the surf industry around me is small and we all know each other. I have been very fortunate to have the same crew of guys since I moved back from Idaho. I have worked with these guys over 20 years and and they are mentors of mine teaching me the trade so long ago.

One thing I want to make very clear is we build boards as our full time jobs for the last 20+ years. We know what we are doing and can give you the best quality board on the market. We tried to grow our business doing these "Price Point" boards and quickly found out its not a direction I wanted to take my business.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me - info@soulcraftboarding.com
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-19-2019, 1:01 PM Reply   
Kudos Jeff. I guess most people seem to not understand what I am was saying. I could care less if you made boards in Mexico or elsewhere. In my mind, if you had produced boards in mexico it would mean two things, 1 you have enough business to outsource and 2, you found a facility you were happy enough with to get boards produced in. To me, it is none of my business, nor I am trying to criticize any business choice you make. It is your business and simply your business....

We've had out difference, and I think we've had most difference due to miscommunication. But, you should know you always have my respect. I just try to educate people on the inner workings of the industry and hows and whats of board building as best I can.

Cheers, Nick
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-19-2019, 5:39 PM Reply   
My experience has been great with both Chaos and Soulcraft—and Walker for that matter! All three have made killer sticks that I have loved.

I admire all the handmade artisans that still shape and push shaping to make the sport better.

Kudos all!
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       03-20-2019, 5:42 AM Reply   
Well Said Jeff,

Im at My second Soulcraft with Jeff and really happy with them. Custom just as i wanted to be and built with passion.
Always been a fan of local handmade.

Its cool to see Jeff respond himself too. Since he almost never respond on forums!
And a simple email directly to Soulcraft could be much better for comprehension.

But un the other side i dont think the OP wanted to be blamefull.
Just a simple question and we’re all giving our opinion on it.
Its cool to see that Jeff have many supporters too :P

Last edited by Mike88; 03-20-2019 at 5:43 AM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-20-2019, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Well Said Jeff,

Im at My second Soulcraft with Jeff and really happy with them. Custom just as i wanted to be and built with passion.
Always been a fan of local handmade.

Its cool to see Jeff respond himself too. Since he almost never respond on forums!
And a simple email directly to Soulcraft could be much better for comprehension.

But un the other side i dont think the OP wanted to be blamefull.
Just a simple question and we’re all giving our opinion on it.
Its cool to see that Jeff have many supporters too :P

No, the original poster started off “innocently”— but definitely wanted to cast doubt on the made in the USA label. It was it intentional attempt to bring up Mexico.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-20-2019, 8:47 AM Reply   
This ^^^ OP had an agenda
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-20-2019, 9:36 AM Reply   
I guess we can move on to more interesting topics. I like donuts, how about you?

Nick
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-20-2019, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
I guess we can move on to more interesting topics. I like donuts, how about you?

Nick

Love donuts. Bavarian cream filled long John with chocolate frosting could possibly be the greatest food ever invented.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-20-2019, 1:51 PM Reply   
Voodoo donuts here in Portland. The bacon maple bar is crazy good.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-20-2019, 7:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Voodoo donuts here in Portland. The bacon maple bar is crazy good.
We have a Voodoo in Austin now.... it is pretty big place, not quite as fun as the original, but it sort of has the kind of vibe......

Nick
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       04-19-2019, 2:19 PM Reply   
I have 3 soulcraft boards(2 with custom artwork from chelsea"blue eyes") and was VERY fortunate to have seen jeff's "shop" in idaho firsthand and spent a couple days on the water with him. he was always too humble to ask to swap the boat to the goofy side and rides a pretty mean regular wave backwards. after seeing his garage/shop and dedication to the sport would know out of country product woudn't pass his muster.

that being said you are not a true donut fan until you have had a kringle from uncle mikes bakery in depere, wi. they ship daily all over the us.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2019, 1:29 PM Reply   
Ha, I do like kringles, but as far as donuts go, my favorites are really just a good lightly glazed fresh from the fryer yeast or a nice classic sour cream cake.

Nick
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       04-25-2019, 9:40 AM Reply   
We can't sit around silent any longer... Round Rock Donuts has the best donuts of all time. Hands down. Google it and thank us once you've tried them!

If Jeff and Soulcraft were making boards overseas or south of the border they would be labeled as such. They're like the Chic Fil A of the wakesurfing industry. Why anyone would try to start drama with them is beyond me. Take that stuff over to McDonalds man... leave Soulcraft and their delicious breakfast chicken biscuit... er... awesome boards alone.

But for real, over the past few years we've gotten to know a pretty good amount of the people behind the scenes in wakesurfing. Shapers, riders, owners, reps, parents of riders, kids of shapers... you name it. I can't think of anyone who's had something bad to say about Jeff or Soulcraft. We've heard a lot... and definitely some negative... ohhhh the negative... but it's always about someone else. Never SC.

WSM
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       04-26-2019, 3:15 PM Reply   
Sc and chaos are the gold standard