Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (flienlow)      Join Date: Dec 2015       01-16-2019, 5:35 PM Reply   
So... Its 2019. I want to give up on my 2015 Mobius LSV and get a boat that is more suited to surfing.
I know....yawn.
I would love a 23' boat, but that extra foot seems to get very expensive. The 21's just seem a little small so its a 22' ish boat for me. Current radar has a Moomba Max on it.

What else is worthy of my attention at that price point? (If anything.)
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-16-2019, 5:57 PM Reply   
Moomba Craz. It’s what I have and was the replacement for the LSV.
Old     (flienlow)      Join Date: Dec 2015       01-16-2019, 7:12 PM Reply   
You followed me over here Stazi!!! So why Craz over Max?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-17-2019, 6:45 AM Reply   
All depends on what you wanna do.

If you want surf more than anything go the Max. It has the potential for WAY more ballast and the hull is designed specifically for surfing. If wake boarding is still in the cards I’d say Craz.

The other distinction is the interior on the Max. It’s not as nice both at the helm and the vinyl etc as the Craz. They did cost savings on the Max to get more “boat” for the same money or near to as a Craz/Mojo. And it’s especially obvious when you look at the dash designs between the two as well as the speaker placement and the plushness of the seats.

Then there’s the styling between the two. I wish SC went with a more traditional pickle fork front end instead of the wad cutter style blunt nose on the Max/Helix. it’s not really my cup of tea.

You have to test drive and sit in both to see what you like. Either boat is a great option.
Old     (flienlow)      Join Date: Dec 2015       01-17-2019, 7:10 AM Reply   
Thanks Stazi. I am not looking to be Pimp Master on the water. My LSV is of a lower trim package and it is acceptable for us since I dont want or need all the expense of the extra bling. What I do want is a no BS Surfable wave out of the gate. I want a boat that wont be swamp every time a new driver gets behind the helm which has been a huge issue for us.
Old     (tbowen929)      Join Date: Dec 2018       01-17-2019, 4:30 PM Reply   
What part of the country are you in? The guys at Performance Marine Watersport in Osage Beach have the blue demo boat from this years promo stuff and they are really easy to deal with. We bought a new Makai from them and it was a very good experience.
Old     (flienlow)      Join Date: Dec 2015       01-21-2019, 8:50 PM Reply   
Live in the Seattle Area.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2019, 3:25 AM Reply   
You should be looking at the supreme zs 232 you should be able to get one close to your price
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-22-2019, 12:42 PM Reply   
Why don’t you strech your budget a little bit to get into a fancier non budget boat that’s a couple years old.

I’ve got a 16 tige rzx3 that’s forsale close to you.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-22-2019, 6:37 PM Reply   
Max max max max max
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-21-2019, 7:56 AM Reply   
MB B52 23 FTW. Mitch, why you pitching max so hard? Autowake? MB quality is hard to beat, definitely a higher grade than moomba. you can get into a brand new MB B52 for about $85K and its a surf monster right out of the box with no fiddling. H2oKing brings up a great boat too and one i really like, the new ZS 232. Boat is legit.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-21-2019, 11:10 AM Reply   
Agree with you completely if shopping new in that price range I would be looking at the b52 23 or the supreme zs232 both surf awesome without any modifications.
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-28-2019, 9:13 AM Reply   
what the hell happened to the last 10 posts?
Old     (Surfsupdude)      Join Date: Jul 2018       02-28-2019, 10:11 AM Reply   
Tige is a non-budget boat? Id take a Moomba over my last Tige any day. 23' seems to be the magic #.
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-28-2019, 11:24 AM Reply   
agree that 23 is the magic number. 25 is even more magic 8-). I really like the Makai and the price point. Just a hair more than I paid for my MB. not as nice inside, not as many gelcoat or interior choices but you get 25 foot goodness and Autowake which is dope.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-28-2019, 12:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveboatwilltravel View Post
MB B52 23 FTW. Mitch, why you pitching max so hard? Autowake? MB quality is hard to beat, definitely a higher grade than moomba. you can get into a brand new MB B52 for about $85K and its a surf monster right out of the box with no fiddling. H2oKing brings up a great boat too and one i really like, the new ZS 232. Boat is legit.

Budget mainly? $80k stated. Max gets under that, and is unmatched IMHO at its cost level.

B52 is also a killer boat, but not under $80k unfortunately. And probably just got a little more expensive for 2019....I would reckon anyway.

Max is a damn beast. Needs more weight than factory for sure, but it’s all readily available and plug/play.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 02-28-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-28-2019, 1:04 PM Reply   
I paid $82 and change for a loaded one last year. probably going to be in the $85K + range this year. 22 foot tomcat is a good option. Moomba max is a little spartan for me. The wave looks sweet though
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-28-2019, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
I paid $82 and change for a loaded one last year. probably going to be in the $85K + range this year. 22 foot tomcat is a good option. Moomba max is a little spartan for me. The wave looks sweet though

Roger that. They’re great boats. I was playing this game more like Price is Right.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-01-2019, 10:58 PM Reply   
makai is a bad mammajamma. just remove the name from the sides and its close to perfect for a "budget boat" . Yea stepping up to 23' is pricier. Its demand, because everyone who has a 21-22ft boat has a harder time selling than 23'. IMO 23.5 to 25 ft is just fit for boating- bigger the better. ri25 g25 and makai would be the top of my list.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-02-2019, 4:04 AM Reply   
I demoed the makai it's a nice boat but I could just never buy one. I know they have come a long way but I have been doing the boat thing for years and I remember when moomba came out . When I hear the name moomba this is all I see. Like I said I know they are not even close to the same boat today but I just can't get past it.
Attached Images

Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-02-2019, 9:38 AM Reply   
Its funny, My son and I went to the boat show this year and we were looking at the moombas and I was ooh and ahhing over the Makai and my son is like, " dad you're crazy this thing isn't near a nice as our boat.. hes right, but the allure of a 25 footer would have been hard to pass up, especially with Autowake in a very similar price point to my MB.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-02-2019, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
I demoed the makai it's a nice boat but I could just never buy one. I know they have come a long way but I have been doing the boat thing for years and I remember when moomba came out . When I hear the name moomba this is all I see. Like I said I know they are not even close to the same boat today but I just can't get past it.

Good solid reasoning H20!

If it doesn’t say Centurion, it’s not going to catch your eye. Maybe you’re kind of admitting that?
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-02-2019, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Its funny, My son and I went to the boat show this year and we were looking at the moombas and I was ooh and ahhing over the Makai and my son is like, " dad you're crazy this thing isn't near a nice as our boat.. hes right, but the allure of a 25 footer would have been hard to pass up, especially with Autowake in a very similar price point to my MB.

Not near as nice as your MB? In what ways? Curious to hear.

I really like MBs and would happily run a new one. Owned an F24 a couple years ago. Seating height was one part I didn’t dig, but the rest of the boat was great. (needed seat hinges) As far as it being leaps nicer than this Makai, I don’t see that exactly. Total package they’re in the same ballpark to me.

Personal preferences I guess. To me...this Makai is basically the same boat as my SE450 was from a niceness standpoint. Lotsa people bag on the dash, but it’s practicality is very solid. Easy to use simplicity. Lotsa space. The walkthrough transom is really good. Didn’t realize I would dig it that much.

I really value freeboard, space, ability to haul, ride, size. And ability to make a wave. Beyond those things I start to care a lot less.

The OP wants an 80k boat. His choices are dictated by that. Not too many contenders (new) in that category.
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-05-2019, 7:01 PM Reply   
interior is nicer, Billet Aluminum everywhere, Billet Tower. Exponentially more customization on the interior and gelcoat options. Granted the Makai is nicer than the Max and the others. Id be very happy with it since I covet its 25ness and Autowake. Its obvious the MB is a custom made boat if you only make 350 boats a year you can offer much more customization than a Moomba that easily makes twice that many boats.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-05-2019, 8:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
interior is nicer, Billet Aluminum everywhere, Billet Tower. Exponentially more customization on the interior and gelcoat options. Granted the Makai is nicer than the Max and the others. Id be very happy with it since I covet its 25ness and Autowake. Its obvious the MB is a custom made boat if you only make 350 boats a year you can offer much more customization than a Moomba that easily makes twice that many boats.

Roger that. They do have some kick ass billet stuff for sure!
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-07-2019, 11:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
Roger that. They do have some kick ass billet stuff for sure!
when are we going to see some video of that Makai sacked out? Can't believe it but I never pushed the envelope with the MB last year. I added 400lBs of lead to the 4700, but I have at least another 1500LBS of bags Id like to ad and see what happens.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-07-2019, 12:19 PM Reply   
I have put one on FB Moomba group. Posting here is such a hassle!

I haven’t put the 1320 bag busters in yet. I need some warm weather to melt ice. Here are a couple stills—stock plus 1500 lead. That second pic (me) is 12mph. First rider is a smaller guy 5’9” and I am a giant 6’4”.

Excited for the 1320s and I have 200# more lead too (1700 now).

Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-07-2019, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
I have put one on FB Moomba group. Posting here is such a hassle!

I haven’t put the 1320 bag busters in yet. I need some warm weather to melt ice. Here are a couple stills—stock plus 1500 lead. That second pic (me) is 12mph. First rider is a smaller guy 5’9” and I am a giant 6’4”.

Excited for the 1320s and I have 200# more lead too (1700 now).

Real nice Clark!
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-08-2019, 11:07 AM Reply   
pretty tall for 12mph, whats it look like at 10.5 or 18.8? where are you putting the lead? Jelly of your walkthrough, do they make a filler panel for it so you don't lose the layout space?
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-08-2019, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
pretty tall for 12mph, whats it look like at 10.5 or 18.8? where are you putting the lead? Jelly of your walkthrough, do they make a filler panel for it so you don't lose the layout space?

They do not make a filler cushion that I am aware of.

At 10.8 it would be massive and short. Like very tall. 11.6 is probably the sweet spot. I know that day we had pushed it to 12 when I was wridingthat board because it is a rocket. It is a 4‘10“ traditional Honu.

So back at this time I had 200 in each rear storage tray than 250 or so just in front of the rear most bags under the corner cushion. Then the rest further forward evenly divided between driver and passenger side. I usually also keep three or four bags out to move from side to side if it needs a little more lean. Goofy needs it more than regular.
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-11-2019, 7:49 PM Reply   
some of this thread was deleted somehow but there was a gentleman on here asking about differences in build quality on MB's. here is what I've been able to find out. All boats are hand laid and then vacuum bagged. The Hull and the deck are butt fitted as opposed to the typical shoe box fit of most manufacturers.

"MB uses butt fit procedure. Both hull and deck are placed in a suspended fit. Then it is fiberglassed inside around the seam of both parts. When this cures the boat becomes one piece which will never leak/ it is quieter/ and much stronger then a shoe box mass production process. It would be impossible to build large quantities of boats using a butt fit assembly/plus costing much more"
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       03-24-2019, 7:20 PM Reply   
All this "X vs Y" boat is always interesting. I think a lot comes down to specifically what features and/or qualities matter to the particular person buying the boat. I love my MB F22 but I know it isn't for everybody, particularly for somebody who wants a lot of cool "tech" stuff at the helm or reconfigurable seating, etc.. There's certainly no denying the Moomba wave in Dakota's pic is nice!
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-25-2019, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSurfer View Post
All this "X vs Y" boat is always interesting. I think a lot comes down to specifically what features and/or qualities matter to the particular person buying the boat. I love my MB F22 but I know it isn't for everybody, particularly for somebody who wants a lot of cool "tech" stuff at the helm or reconfigurable seating, etc.. There's certainly no denying the Moomba wave in Dakota's pic is nice!
Hadn't been on an MB until last summer, when I was on a 08 B52 most weekends. Really cool brand and throws a great wave with a suck-gate and factory ballast (whatever that is).

Really crappy pic of the B52 wave from a video screengrab.

Last edited by Matt0520; 03-25-2019 at 9:55 AM.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-01-2019, 8:12 AM Reply   
My boat is for sale.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/b...850645659.html