Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-05-2013, 6:02 AM Reply   
Hey fellas and gals! Obviously Im new to this site but decided to join after visiting it over and over again.

Well I need some help! I am in the market for a wakeboard/wakesurfing boat. I have narrowed it down to the Axis A22 and Tige RZ2. Im looking at either purchasing a brand new Axis or a 2009/2010 Tige RZ2. I did demo a Axis and loved the way it felt and the wake shape. Where I'm located, its really hard to find a tige dealership so its going to be impossible to demo. I guess my questions are:

- Hows the wakeboarding wake on the Tige? <--------(MAIN CONCERN) Im looking for a big/rampy wake
- I know its hard to predict, but which boat will hold its value, 2009/2010 Tige or a 2013 Axis?
- I plan on getting into surfing also, so overall which boat could accommodate that? (I surf goofy)

I really appreciate the time and your guys advice.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-05-2013, 6:09 AM Reply   
IMO, the A22 will have a better wakeboard wake and the Rz2 will have a better surf wave. An 09/10 A22 will have the old style platform, which is not as good as the newer platform (which has the corners trimmed) for surfing, due to the fact that it cuts slightly into the wave. If you do end up with an A22, and you want an extra platform to cut down and make into a better surf platform, I have an extra old style platform in storage here in chattanooga that you can come get for free. It is currently made into a bench and needs to go. On that note, if anyone else wants it, pm me.
Attached Images

Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-05-2013, 6:20 AM Reply   
Sup Chatt. I had a feeling you would be the first to respond =). you seem to be very helpful on this site. Maybe I had a typo but the boats im looking at is a 2013 Axis or a 2009/2010 Tige. So hopefully if I decide to go with the Axis the platform wont be an issue. Thank you for the offer though bud.

Yea Im so indecisive right now on which boat to go with. I love, LOVE the look of the tige, Love the touch, taps 2 ballast, wetsound ect, BUT i hear nothing but great things about the axis wake and you can always shape it bigger by adding weight. If i hear the Tige wakeboarding wake is very nice Ill probably lean towards that but as of right now im torn between the two. Just sucks theres no where close for me demo one.

On that note, if anyone has pictures of the wakes on these two boats I would greatly appreciate it if you posted or sent them to me. thanks so much for everyones help

Last edited by Caliguy8070; 11-05-2013 at 6:22 AM.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-05-2013, 6:56 AM Reply   
Sorry to take this off topic, but.........Dude that bench is awesome!!! I love how you can open the door and dig into the cooler too. Wish I was closer to Chattanooga.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-05-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-05-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
A22 wake pics:
Attached Images

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-05-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
Perhaps the best demonstration of the wake:

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-05-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
Hopefully Bruizza on here will respond, he had an A22 and then went to an RZ2.
Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-05-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
really appreciate the pictures Chatt! That wake is ridiculous! Now only if there were pictures or videos like that for Tige!

Yea I messaged Bruizza asking his opinion. I saw in previous threads he has knowledge on both.

by the way, the bench/cooler so so sick chat! im about 3 hrs away from you! if i make my way down there il hit you up.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-05-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy8070 View Post
really appreciate the pictures Chatt! That wake is ridiculous! Now only if there were pictures or videos like that for Tige!

Yea I messaged Bruizza asking his opinion. I saw in previous threads he has knowledge on both.

by the way, the bench/cooler so so sick chat! im about 3 hrs away from you! if i make my way down there il hit you up.
Erik,

Where are you located at?
Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-05-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
Erik,

Where are you located at?
Clarksville
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-05-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
i am not a fan of the tige i have been on a few and they didnt impress me. if you want to know more about my exprience private message me. but i love my axis a22. it has a great wakeboard wake and a good surf wave. i am 400 lbs and it surfs me great. message me if you want to know how i weight it. and i use 5000lbs ballast for surfing. plus wedge.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-05-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
Axis bench is now spoken for. hahaha That was quick.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       11-05-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
Damnit!!! I want it!!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       11-05-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
Id go with the new axis IMO. Why not get a '14 with surfgate for a little more if your wanting to get into surfing. If I remember, the RZ wake gets finicky with washing with a lot of weight.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-05-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
Chatt if you still have the bench next week I may drive and grab it!
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-05-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
bryce the surfgate is good for switching back and forth side to side but you get a way better wake out of leaning it over! the surfgate wave looks impressive but its soft. i say lean it over and build your own swimstep. this winter i am building a new step a lot smaller and i got a couple ideas to improve my wake. i will post about it when i do it.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-05-2013, 12:30 PM Reply   
Paul,

I respectfully disagree that the A22 sg wave is soft. I think it is really good. Also, SG allows you to switch from riding to surfing instantly. That's a huge plus for those of us who have friends or wives who don't wakeboard and we want to be able to swtich from surfing to boarding without having to pump in or out any weight.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-05-2013, 12:51 PM Reply   
Here are some pictures of a 2007 RZ2. The hull is the same for the 2009 and 2010. If you have any questions let me know.

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-05-2013, 3:47 PM Reply   
I bought my RZ2 brand new back in 2007 and have really grown attached to it. It has been very reliable and has actually never missed a day on the water due to a problem that I didn't cause myself (i.e.- stereo install issues). It may not have the biggest and baddest wakeboard wake out there but it is decent when you load it up and I have never had someone ride behind it and not be able to do a trick that they could normally do behind another boat. The surf wave is pretty solid and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. I really like the deep seating on the RZ2/Tige's too.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-05-2013, 4:24 PM Reply   
I would suggest you demo the Tige. Then you could see for yourself which boat you like better. I own a 2011 RZ2 . I surf on both sides. The Port wave is a little longer and taller than our Starboard wave.We have custom ballast bags to get these great waves,but you can get very good waves with surf or pro ballast options on board.With 2000 lb pro ballast the wakeboard wake is tall and tunable with taps. You can adjust the steepness to your liking. Most riders prefer either 3,4 or 5 setting on a scale of 1-8.With 8 being the steepest.Those year Tige's have the PCM power plant which i currently have.PCM motors are very reliable. I didn't have any trouble with the PCM in my Nautique and haven't had any trouble with my current PCM.Good Luck with your Demos!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2013, 8:01 PM Reply   
I was hoping Robert would chime in. He has a real nice RZ2 and was hoping for some wake/wave pics. I agree with Bryce and Chatt about surfgate. If you can, try to pick up a new 14' A22 with SG. You can still be "hard-core" surfer guy and list your boat to get a wave a "purest" would be proud of, but with SG you can change from goofy surfers, to a wakeboarder, to a regular surfer in a few seconds. Also that will help hold resale value as I believe an A22 w/ SG will be in higher demand later on.

- Haven't ridden the RZ2 yet so can't comment, but from what I have seen, the wake looks really good.
-I am guessing that even if you get a killer deal on a new 2013, the 09-10 Tige will hold it's value better as it has already taken its biggest depreciation hit. That goes for almost every new vs old comparison regardless of boat.
- I believe that both boats have the same prop rotation, so both boats will have better goofy waves, atleast thats true on the Axis.

The Axis will have a warranty and you have a close dealer, the Tige will be mostly out of warranty, but that doesn't matter because you don't have a dealer to go to. If you go with the Tige, find a local boat mechanic that you can trust or learn to do everything yourself.

Biggest advice is to demo, but not just demo from a dealer... go find a WWer or someone on Axis Owners forum and tige forum to take you out on the 2 boats you want. Usually those guys have their waves and wakes pretty dialed and will be able to show you what the boat can do. A dealer demo is fine, but unless you bring 3000 lbs of sacks and someone who knows how to properly weight that boat (in general the dealer doesn't know how to), then you are really wasting your time.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-06-2013, 6:18 AM Reply   
If your main concern is a wakeboard wake buy the Axis. It has a much better wake. My friend had an RZ2 before I bought my Axis after a few times out he quit riding behind his boat and eventually sold it. The Axis will never produce as good of a surf wake as the Tige. I surf on occasion and the wake is fine for me. It has a little less push than the Tige but I only noticed it because we would ride behind both. It took me a little bit to get the surf wave set up but now we have it dialed it is easy to set up. Also one thing I really disliked about the Tige was the tower seemed loose and always rattled.I am not sure if this was only his tower or if across the board, it just didnt seem as solid as the Axis.
Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-06-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
wow. some great advice guys! im glad I joined this site. everyones really helpful...the '14 axis is alittle out of my price range so i dont think i can consider that, but i totally agree it will probably hold its value alittle more due to the SG. From what im gathering is the tige has a decent boarding wake but it is really finicky. since this is my first boat and im only a beginner boarder, im considering going with the axis since i dont want to have to worry so much about the wake. like most of you said though, i need to demo a tige before i committ. i wonder if anyone around me owns a tige so i can actually see it for myself.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-06-2013, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
wow. some great advice guys! im glad I joined this site. everyones really helpful...the '14 axis is alittle out of my price range so i dont think i can consider that, but i totally agree it will probably hold its value alittle more due to the SG. From what im gathering is the tige has a decent boarding wake but it is really finicky. since this is my first boat and im only a beginner boarder, im considering going with the axis since i dont want to have to worry so much about the wake. like most of you said though, i need to demo a tige before i committ. i wonder if anyone around me owns a tige so i can actually see it for myself.
I have a 2014 Axis A22 with SG you can demo if you come to Knoxville. It won't be dewinterized till late March though so you would have to wait a little.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-06-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
What's your price range?
Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-06-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
haha thanks Tim. I would take you up on that but hopefully by then ill be on the lake with my own boat. Chatt the highest im willing to go is 55. ive been looking and found a few. found 2 vandals and a very nice demo boat loaded up. still looking around though.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-06-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
55 will get you a nice boat. I sold a loaded '12 with the LS3 for around 62 last year. I sold a loaded '11 with the Raptor the year before for I think 55. Good deals are out there.
Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-06-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
yea ive seen some really nice boats within price range. im looking like 8 hours away from my location so more options are out there for me. one question with the axis though, only difference between the 2012 and 2013 is the material used for the upholstery correct?
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-06-2013, 12:06 PM Reply   
If I remember correctly there was a change to the dash and upgrade to the ballast pumps and hoses to 1 inch as well.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-06-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBunch View Post
If I remember correctly there was a change to the dash and upgrade to the ballast pumps and hoses to 1 inch as well.
When did they add the chillax seat? I know the '13s have it. It is definitely something you want to have. It makes a good wind block in the spring and fall.
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-06-2013, 6:30 PM Reply   
My 2011 has chillax seats and think it was available on 09's and 10's
Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-09-2013, 9:09 AM Reply   
Just wanted to say thanks for everyones opinions and advice. I decided to go with a 2013 Axis A22. Cant wait for all the admin paperwork to finish up and go pick it up!!!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2013, 1:38 PM Reply   
Congrats on your new tug. You will love it, no regrets. Post up pics when you get her...
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-09-2013, 2:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks for everyones opinions and advice. I decided to go with a 2013 Axis A22. Cant wait for all the admin paperwork to finish up and go pick it up!!!
Congrats. What do you plan to sack it out with? Hop on axiswakeboat.com and come hangout with us.
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-09-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
You will love the Axis, Great Boats Congrats
Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-09-2013, 3:02 PM Reply   
Thanks fellas! This is actually my first wakeboard boat, **** first boat in general so im still learning the ropes.Not sure how I am going to sac it out yet. Still doing some research and what I should do. I am a beginner boarder and trying to get into wake surfing so going to figure out what I should to when it comes to weight. Ive been on axiswakeboat.com and it love it. Cool bunch of people and I was shocked on how helpful everyone is. Looking forward to joining the club! Oh yea...and cant wait to figure out how to build this poor mans surf gate ive been hearing so much about!!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-09-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
Congratulations on your new boat!!!! Have fun and don't be shy posting pictures of your new ride.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-10-2013, 4:20 PM Reply   
Congrats !
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-10-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
Congrats on the purchase. Probably couldn't have gone wrong either way. Enjoy!!
Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-24-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
HERE SHE IS..............................

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-24-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
Sweet. That bimini is pimp. I wished mine came with that. I love the color. Enjoy staring at it till late march like i am doing. It will give you a chance to install all the pnp bags and reinforce the engine dividers. Come over to axiswakeboats.com and hangout with us.
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-24-2013, 7:39 AM Reply   
Boat looks great and you will love the z5 cargo bimini it is great I use mine every trip.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-24-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
Boat looks great. The Z5 is an upgrade I just can't ever decide whether its worth it or not. I have 2 sets of racks and would never really use it enough to merit the difference in price.

Enjoy, that thing looks Awesome!!!!!
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-24-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
It is good for board storage if you don't have dual board racks, I always have a couple boards up there but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-24-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
looks great, not bad at all for your first rig. Who cares about the weight right now, use it and enjoy it.... add the extra weight as your skill increase.
Old     (Caliguy8070)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-24-2013, 2:46 PM Reply   
thanks fellas. yea it was a demo boat for a dealership so its pretty tricked out. absolutely love it. It came with 2x 400lbs additional bags for the rear lockers and the arrowhead for under the bow seats. ive never tried surfing so i plan on giving it a try next season. with that weight should i be ok?
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-24-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
Yes it will be pretty good with that to start with for surfing. Once you learn and get better you might add some weight then I run a 750 in the rear locker and a 350 on the seat in the back surf side. Full bag in the nose under the seat and a 350 in the bow. Wave is pretty good.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385337687.752974.jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  113.4 KB
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-24-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
This one is better!Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385338652.533591.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  111.1 KB