Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-06-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
It seems like forever I have been on the hunt for a Boom Box for the I pod. Its Like I can never find one that will do everything I want. The Main criteria is that it Hump's. And when I say Hump's its got to have enough bass to at least keep up. I know your not gonna get earth shaking Bass out of ANYTHING that is some what small & portable.

I came across this Bowers & Wilkens "Zepplin" it's $599 and it looks pretty cool. I came across it at Best Buy. It was on a display self. It was humping pretty good. The Bass speaker is in the center and the Bass ports are out the back. I was like Humm I bet if I turn it away from the wall where the bass cant bounce off the wall the bass will die off, Well sure enough as soon as I turned it sideways and the ports had nothing to bounce or reflect off. The bass rolled off. Ok so the Zepplin when from Hero to zero in a Turn.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-06-2012, 8:57 PM Reply   
We Have had good luck with a small Philips home computer sound system. We got it as a gift and decided that we would take it apart and Mount the 2 remote speakers on to the Bass Speaker that has the power supply and amp for the system. Its a small 6 inc woffer with 2 small 3 inch speaker mounted on top of it We call it Micky mouse cause it looks like a Micky Mouse hat. After we put this little cheep system together and put a carry handle on it, It has been providing Hot Tub music for almost 5 years now. And its starting to crap out. I was very suprised at how much Bass and sound it puts out.

So a cheep computer system patched together has worked well. But I knew there has to be somthing better out there, The Hunt continues. I went to Best Buy and Every other place I happend to come across and. If I thought the store sold them I would always go check out what they had.

Most of the Systems that would have you put your I pod on top of the Player were not suct a hot set up IMO. The reason, Everytime you want to adjust you have to get near the player and it was real funky adjusting the Ipod on top of the player. Its much easyer to hold it in your hand and adjust it. Plus using at the Hot tub I wanted to keep the Speake system a few feet away from the tub. With the I pod on the cord you can place it close to where you can grab it freely
So IMO systems that would allow you to plug in a USB style plug and Charge and play were the Bomb. I know they have ones that you can use BlueTooth to send the music BUT. You end up burnning threw your battery playing threw blue tooth and IMO the bluetooth and a Battery 1/2 charged your only gonna be looking for a charge plug in 1 hr so you might as well just plug in Charge up and Play with no Bluetooth Issues.

So Still on the Hunt cant find anything. I decide to just buy another cheep Computer sound system and add what I need and call it a day. So I end up at Frys and buy a $135 Logitec system
its got 200 watts and sounds good in the store so I take it home and start Project Funk-in-Stine

I took it apart and mounted the to speakers to the side of the box.
Then I re-ran all the wires threw the box and into the plugs in the back of the box
I added a Apple 110 to USB charge block $25
I added a USB to Audio / Video RCA cable $35
I added a 110 to 12v converter. N/C
I had a Carbon Fiber LED handle laying around so I put it on so you can carry it. plus it works great as a little night Light.
I have some extra plexy laying around IM gonna cut a Plexy ring for the sub and add some LEDs I have doing nothing to the Woffer LOL
I put it all together and it sounds real good. All in All I think the cheep computer systems compete and can blow away the $600 Bose style systems if your willing to do a bit of DIY work.
Attached Images

Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-07-2012, 5:24 AM Reply   
Great post. I can't figure out why nobody (name brand manufacturers) has come out with a better solution than a alarm clock docking station. Looks like I will be heading to Best Buy to get my computer sound system/I-pod portable sound system w/bass.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-07-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
Hey Ben, Just a tip. I had to take apart my Logitec and silicone every single hole I ended up drilling in it. (seems like a no brainer) but When the bass would hit I could hear air escaping threw the holes I had drilled in it. I made it sound crappy. And as soon as I would figure out where the air was comming threw and fix it I would find another one. Just be sure to silicone all the holes as you put it back together. That way you wont have to take it apart and put it back together 10 times like I did, LOL
Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-07-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
thanks Grant
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2012, 5:23 PM Reply   
This is what a buddy and I built. Its called the speaker skate and is made of mostly stuff we had lying around. It has larger off road skateboard wheels on the bottom to roll it around. Its all self contained with a blue top for juice on one side and on the other a converted battery box for a cooler.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-08-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Just Finished it up, Hate your is pretty darn cool. I like how I used a bunch of stuff that you had laying around to make this. I had some scrap Plexy Ring's laying around that I was gonna use for more cup holders ect that worked perfict for this project. Hard part was Single Color LEDs I was dead empty all I have is RGB's and didn't want to waste a good RGB controller and remote at this project.
Attached Images

Old    SamIngram            01-08-2012, 4:27 PM Reply   
What is the interface to get the music to the speaker? USB or 3.5mm jack?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-08-2012, 6:14 PM Reply   
The Stock set up came with a 3.5mm Headphone jack. In the back it has a Aux imput. So that's where I used the Apple I-phone/I-pod to RCA cable.
This way I can play music and Charge @ the same time. We played it Last night in the house for a few Hrs Im very happy with the sound,
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-09-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
Damn that thing is UGLY. lol
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-10-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Hate your is pretty darn cool. I like how I used a bunch of stuff that you had laying around to make this
Yeah it would have been a pretty expensive project if we hadn't already had the stuff. I've had quite a few people say we shoule market them until I tell them what production cost would be let alone retail
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-10-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
Kicker makes some, never heard them but I bet they sound good http://www.kicker.com/speaker_docks
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
If your Talking about this Dock,

I have heard it and IMO its a joke. Sounds Ok at best.Trust me a system like the one I put together will Blow that Kicker away.

What works on a shelf or in your house kike the Kicker (I Kick) with the rear facing sub that needs a wall to reflect off of will give you NO BASS outside.

I bought That ION Block rocker and Still have it. It sounds OK. It reminds me of a Pair of HCLDs Lots of Highs NO Bass. It would work Great Outside at a party thats real loud, It has the Ability to Project music pretty good. But I dosen't sound as rich as the Logitec
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2012, 8:21 PM Reply   
Here is a Pic of the Ion Block Rocker

I think I payed $99 from Ion as a factory Referb I think the New ones are $199
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       01-11-2012, 12:56 AM Reply   
My next woodshop project is building something like these two docks.... Love the style of this company

http://www.thehouseofmarley.com/audi...io-system.html

http://www.thehouseofmarley.com/audi...io-system.html

Last edited by wakeboardertj; 01-11-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-23-2012, 10:59 PM Reply   
The Harman Kardon Go+Play is hands down the best ipod boombox around. I can work with an AC wall adapter or run on 8 D-Cell batteries. It can fill a fairly large hall with a room full or sound or works great on the beach. I recently took mine as carry-on luggage on a trip to Mexico.. It was a hit!
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-24-2012, 3:58 AM Reply   
Check these out. http://www.partyinmycooler.com/wet-s...el-cooler.html
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2012, 5:32 AM Reply   
Mike: Mikeski has the Harmon Kardon Go+Play. I agree it sounds good. It's been a few years since I remember checking it out. And for what it is Its pretty hard to beat. I do remember it sounding good. think you can plug in 2 I-pods at once. I guess the only negitave I have to say about it is the Traditional D size battery's you have to load into it every time. It would be cool if it had some sort of Rechargable Battery. I would feel about bad throwing away 6 to 8 D sized battery's after every use.

I have used my DYI boom Box 3 weekends in a row now and I have to say it sounds darn good!!!! Plenty of bass. I even have to turn it down to just over 1/2. Im pretty impressed with how it sounds and works and for how much $ I have into it Im 99% sure it will blow most boom boxes away.

P.S I have had to take apart and Re-Silicone my Boom box like 10 times now. ANY escaping air cause's a noise. After getting the box 100% sealed up I can now hear Air moving THREW the on off switch for the LED's How does Air make it's way threw a On off Switch LOL! Keep in mind this is a small ported box you wouldn't think it had to be sealed 110% O well ill throw a new switch in and move on.

The Party in My cooler's seem like a great Idea. But the website is LAME. I would like to see some pictures of a fully outfitted cooler, All the pictures I saw looked like you have raw componet's exposed in the cooler section, Do they have somthing that keeps the water and Ice from the back of the speakers and Amp's Batteries and other electrical componets, The website was un-clear if it was a functional (wet cooler) or was it just a cooler that wast turned into a boom box?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-24-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Here ya go... The Behringer iNuke. That's the iPod on top if you look real hard.

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-25-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Actually mine is the Altec Lansing IMT800. In my opinion is kicks the HK systems behind. As Grant mentions it does not have rechargeable batteries but runs off 8 D alkalines. I do have a bunch of NiMH Ds but they are only 1.2v verses the alkalines 1.5v so multiplied by 8 I am running at about 50% audio power on rechargeables so I burn the alkalines to obtain full power. The IMT800 has hosted a few parties, enough to get complaints from neighboring hotel rooms. It has an ipod dock that charges the ipod/iphone when plugged in and has a nice remote. It also has an FM tuner and tone controls. The IMT800 is very bass heavy, just the way most of us like it. Placed in the corner of a room it does pretty damn good.

I, like Grant, had been planning on building my own setup for quite some time. Actually even have most of the gear lying around like Hate too. But the combination of busy, lazy and finding the Altec at Costco for $200... well it's good enough.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-25-2012, 5:22 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl0o1xMkx6M
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-02-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
I give you the Lasonic Ghetto Blaster...
Attached Images

Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-03-2012, 1:13 AM Reply   
^^^ Sweet!
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-03-2012, 1:42 AM Reply   
Time to go ghetto blaster shopping!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2014, 12:05 PM Reply   
It's been 2 years since I frankenstined the Logitech computer system into a portable sound system. It's served us well and has had a good exposure to sun and water and a fair bit of abuse. Things it was never designed for. Time to report back. This system bang's! For the size I would put it up against almost anything and if you throw in price I think it would be almost imposable to beat.
This system is 400 watts peak. 150 watts to just the sub. And 80 watts to the sat's. I added a USB charger and a Bluetooth receiver.

So if 1 is good then 2 is better. My next project is going to be to Take 2 of theses systems and pair them together, Siamese Twinn style. I'm found a few on C-list that I can pick up and then the fun can start. It's total over kill and 1 system would be great for most people but I needed a week day bench top project so this one is next up.

Only down side to these systems is that they are very tightly sealed and it's very small inside. When you open them up for surgery it's easy to mess them up. And if they are not completely sealed up when you put them back together the can whistle threw the cracks. So you need to silicone the crap out of them wich makes taking them apart even a nightmare.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2014, 4:28 PM Reply   
This time Im going with 2 Logitech Z2300's This is a discontinued unit I think they stopped making it in 2004-2006 you can find them in varied condition from $40 to $150 They seem to have quite a cult following and they have been well reviewed and picked apart. Right away I can tell you its more heavy duty and has a larger sub then the Z623 it also feel quite a bit heavyer then the Z623 The Z623 is that I system was bragging about above
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2014, 4:48 PM Reply   
Z623 Vs Z2300
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2014, 8:35 PM Reply   
You must be taking the sub out or power supply to access the inerts on these units. I know they're otherwise all sealed up. How do you power them if you don't have 110?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2014, 9:38 PM Reply   
I use 110 to power them I know boom box is a mis-leading term. All I'm doing is turning a system that comes in mulitable pieces and made for inside use and making it a single portable unit. For use outdoors.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2014, 3:19 PM Reply   
Holly Boom box
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2014, 6:17 AM Reply   
This project is growing in conception. 2 of them put together sounds great, so what would 3 or 4 of them sound like. What we are dealing with now is managing each units bass and volume. So now I'm thinking a wetsounds Bluetooth EQ would be pretty cool it would solve a lot of the volume issues and give us control of all the units grime a single point.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2014, 2:54 PM Reply   
Why not a good receiver with bluetooth speakers? I have a new Denon receiver - AirPLay, BlueTooth,etc.. It has 2 zones for different input sources. I have hard wire speakers in the house, and in the backyard and than bluetooth speakers for the rest of the yard. It connects to Wifi so you have pandora, internet radio, plus apps for iphone/android. or plug your iphone into the front usb. I get you want portable, but that is not super portable. Just a thought...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2014, 9:50 PM Reply   
Jason: we were trying to not re-invent the wheel. The pre built systems like the one we are playing with are all ready tuned and sound awesome all we are doing is doubling up and making it portable. I know the receivers have some power but u need to add a sub and satalights and then you have to ake it portable and then you have blowen ur budget or time restraints. The beauty of the home computer systems is that they are some what compact to begin with. I'm gonna build this thing up and do some sound measurements you will be supprised
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
I get it for sure. Just seeing your set up near the pool and thinking how easy it is without being portable. Either way I love the creative thoughts and thinking outside the box. I am all about that.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-01-2014, 10:46 AM Reply   
If 2 linked together is good 3 must be better! I picked up a 3rd one. I think 4 linked together should be pretty redicklous!
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2014, 1:33 PM Reply   
Has anyone seen somthing like this? Im looking for a 3.5 Headphone jack Amp/splitter. Im looking to take the signal from my Iphone and split it 4 ways and send it to the 4 individual Z2300's
Attached Images

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-02-2014, 2:03 PM Reply   
Use 1/4" TRS to 1/8" adapters and these are exactly what you described...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Headphone.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Headphone.html

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq...tBl6K9RqvD_BwE
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2014, 2:13 PM Reply   
FLY that will work just fine. Thanks alot

Do you happen to know if they have one that uses 3.5 instead of the full size headphone jack's?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2014, 2:48 PM Reply   
Fly you got me on the right track I just ordered one of these
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2014, 4:47 PM Reply   
This should do the trick
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2015, 10:36 AM Reply   
Well after trying all 4 hooked together I decided for a few reasons 2 linked together would be better.
It was just to Large to move around & The Bass was pretty over the top. We use this as our Music source at the hot tub. And the system we already have is pretty loud (Boomy) at night as is. So I just decided 2 will be Just Plenty. Over all its 40 inches long and like 14 inches deep.

The inside of the box has the guides the 1 inc strips on the bottom of the box used to position the subs in the box. These will be replaced with walls
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
The Back is cut out to allow air to cool the amps and make it as compact as I could.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2015, 10:41 AM Reply   
The Front of the box has a space between the 2 subs to allow for all the power distribution and connections. as well as a mounting location for the volume control and Bluetooth unit
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2015, 10:44 AM Reply   
This is the Faceplate that will cover all the speaker holes. It will have metal grill material covering the subs and the Highs from behind.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2015, 10:47 AM Reply   
The space where the Highs are located also doubles as a Port. I will have RGB led's in the ports, As well as a USB charger on the face plate and a nice LCD clock. The top of the box will have a 110 outlet as well as another USB charge port.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2015, 7:01 PM Reply   
The center contol center this is where all the power distribution will be. Above this will be a 110 USB outlet and below this will be a power strip
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2015, 7:02 PM Reply   
More
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2015, 7:04 PM Reply   
I used plywood because the center piece will screw into it and if it needs to be removed the screws do better coming in and out of plywood rather then MDF
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2017, 2:27 PM Reply   
Well after much delay I decided to get the Boom Box back on the "Must Finish" list.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2017, 2:28 PM Reply   
I brought it to my local Rhino Liner guy,
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2017, 2:33 PM Reply   
It cost me $200 just to Rhino line this thing Holly crap. I thought damm. I could have bought a new Sony boom box for $199 & I'm Paying $200 just to Rhino Line this thing. O well I couldn't turn back I come this far and the finish is close.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-14-2017, 11:28 PM Reply   
OMG! This project is pretty entertaining. How much is that thing gonna weigh? I'm guessing around 50 lbs.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-15-2017, 6:27 AM Reply   
BOOMZILLA is gonna weigh a lot. Looking for some Ideas on how to move this beast around. It's gonna be stored inside and then brought outside for use at our hot tub. It only needs to get moved about 15-20 feet each time? The ground is stamped concrete. I saw some pretty small pneumatic caster style wheels that looked like they would work well. Yesterday I was in the city and I saw a catering Comany "The Melt" had these style wheels on their food carts I watched as these carts made their way over the messed up streets of SF and thought those would work great .
Attached Images

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-15-2017, 11:25 AM Reply   
Looks like you are building a white elephant. There are lots of great bluetooth speaker options.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-15-2017, 12:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Looks like you are building a white elephant
Well I guess that depends on what you consider good sounding music. I agree there are lots of well priced Bluetooth options but when you start leaning on them the base falls out of them and they just can't hang. I was at Best Buy the other day and they had a really nice looking well-built Bluetooth stereo it was only $200 bucks. It sounded pretty good it was definitely loud but it's not what I would consider my style.
It even had flashing strobe lights and RGB lights that you could control with your phone and it even Paired with other units of its same kind so you could link three or four of these units together and they would push and pull signal
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-15-2017, 12:51 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to come off like some Audio Snobb. Most of the stuff you see at the Retail stores Dosent sound that bad in the store but when your get it home in a Outside environment it's a whole different sound. Example take this Bose. The thing sounds great at the store. Notice how Bose always uses their display as a backboard to reflect sound and bass back at the consumer. Sounds great on the shelf but not so much at home on your porch
Attached Images

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-15-2017, 2:14 PM Reply   
I picked up one of these....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...with-bluetooth

For portable portable battery operation I got a Polaroid pbt9010 bluetooth speaker. Similar to this except mine is the discontinued version with EQ.

http://www.biglots.com/product/black...ker/p810324024
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-15-2017, 5:29 PM Reply   
That Gemini you picked up looks impressive, $149 & it's got a 1,000 watt Amp, and a 15 inch speaker, It's Bluetooth. I bet that thing works great as a PA speaker or Loud speaker but for Music in general I can pretty much tell you that thing is worth what you payed for it. Not gonna lie. We used to run Macki SRM 450's. They are the Legit pro DJ version of that $149 Gemini you picked up. But Mackis are in the $450 range And IMO they were great as a loud speaker. If you had a party with 100 people they were great. They needed a Sub to run with them or else they were pretty lack luster in the Bass department. Loud and clear but not smooth. And that Polaroid, yes I have had 2 versions of the Icon Blockrocker, again a great for putting out some sound but that's about it I have one in my garage, the sound quality is about as good as a IPhones speaker just louder.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-29-2017, 10:10 AM Reply   
Well the Project still rolls on I decided at the last min this thing is gonna get the RGB treatment. I lined the face of the boom box with RGB's. Here is the RGB controller.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-29-2017, 10:11 AM Reply   
It's no Wetsounds Multizone controller but for $19 I will try it out, also in photo is athe RGB 110 to 12v power supply
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2017, 11:28 AM Reply   
BOOMZILLA
Is comming together. I still have more lights and metal speaker grill to add to the outside corners and she will be ready to go. This thing slams pretty good. The neighbor came over yesterday after I was testing it and said his windows were shaking LOL.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2017, 7:03 PM Reply   
I had some hard wheel casters laying around.
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-09-2017, 6:40 AM Reply   
Nice work G. But a boom box isn't a boom box unless you can play it on your shoulder. So you must be pretty yoked, cuz I've never seen a boom box that was so heavy it needed wheels.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-09-2017, 9:28 AM Reply   
^^ That's a good point. Just the other day I was surfing on Pinterest and came across a boom box thread. I decided I'm gonna make a table top or bed side table sized Portable boom box using some really cool woods and some nice components. Might be smart of me to just buy a Bose sound wave and take it all apart and add a Lithium battery or somthing like that. I saw on that was aboutbthe size of a old school lunch box that was very cool. It's just so hard to pack all that stuff AND a battery and a amp and a charger all in one small box.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-09-2017, 9:30 AM Reply   
Glueing the side grills in.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-09-2017, 11:18 AM Reply   
Almost finished
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-09-2017, 11:20 AM Reply   
RGB controller and 110v outlet with USB
Attached Images

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-09-2017, 12:42 PM Reply   
Looks cool!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-10-2017, 1:16 PM Reply   
Nice G!

Saw this one today and thought of this thread.

https://store.thodio.com/collections/frontpage
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-10-2017, 1:40 PM Reply   
Brett: That's the exact brand (THODIO) that caught my Eye. The Ammo can seem's fun, But this Bamboo one is the one that Made me think. I wanna make a portable version of this thing.
Attached Images

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-12-2017, 10:19 AM Reply   
If you've struggled so much with the sealing of these with silicone, why don't you just use the 3M 5200? It's messy, but if it's good enough to seal things watertight, then it'd probably work on a speaker box...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-12-2017, 11:28 AM Reply   
Sorry Trayson: you have me confused? I'm familiar with the 3M 5200. That stuff is no joke. And yes it holds and seals like Tarzan's Grip. The only silicone I used on this was to glue down the led strips. And to be honest, I wouldn't wanna deal with 5200 on items I'm not 100% sure about. Like you said the stuff is a mess especially when your working with rough surfaces like the Line X. If you got a bit of 5200 where you didn't want it, it's a pain to remove excess 5200, it's a different story when your using 5200 on a smooth Gell surface that you can use Acetone for clean up. The cheep LED strips that I had just laying around, who knows how long they are gonna last? I used simple bathroom silicone and it holds pretty good. Good enough that they are not going anywhere and if I need to replace a strip it's a easy on and easy off deal. And when you get extra where you don't want it it comes off pretty good. I only use 5200 when it's 1 and Done! It's amazing how good that stuff is when it's used correctly. I'm taking the Boom Box to a Giants Tail gate party today we will see how it works out
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-12-2017, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
P.S I have had to take apart and Re-Silicone my Boom box like 10 times now. ANY escaping air cause's a noise. After getting the box 100% sealed up I can now hear Air moving THREW the on off switch for the LED's How does Air make it's way threw a On off Switch LOL! Keep in mind this is a small ported box you wouldn't think it had to be sealed 110% O well ill throw a new switch in and move on.
I read through the whole thread. and I was talking about this... You referenced a few different times about how you had to re-silicone the holes you drilled in the original Logitech enclosure...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-12-2017, 1:09 PM Reply   
Ok "Got It". Yes the original small boom box at the top of this thread, I had to take apart numerous times. The I phone charge/signal cord would get wet and needed to be replaced like 5 times. So being able to service this thing was one of my priorities. That go's for pretty much all the installs I do I try and do myself a favor and make it so that if I ever need to dive back into it I don't have to rebuild the entire unit I have done enough screw ups that I hate it when I paint myself into a corner.
Old     (pauljones1)      Join Date: May 2017       05-30-2017, 2:02 PM Reply   
These are awesome projects! I am looking forward to posting mine soon, too!
St. Louis City Towing
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2017, 7:32 PM Reply   
Check it

https://youtu.be/me7QmRHFjKw

We brought the Boom box to the Giants game this $hit is banging.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-31-2017, 11:32 PM Reply   
^^^Thats awesome! What happened to the casters that were on it? Is this this creation still evolving? Where does one go to see this marvel in real life? lol I'm sure it bumps.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2017, 9:35 AM Reply   
This boom box is used as a sound system for the hot tub at the Family house. The tub is counter sunk into the ground so when you roll the boom box out to the tub it's and your in the tub it's right at ear level. So the mini casters work great. The reviews have been great on BOOMZILLA. It just sucks how heavy it is. This boom box only moves in and out of the house and that's only a few feet but if you had to haul this thing somewhere that would host old quick.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2017, 10:18 PM Reply   
I see the cinder blocks in the background on deck at the family pimp palace. Looks like another project coming on....