Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2015, 11:49 AM Reply   
I was looking for some advice on a Key-less ignition system for my Bennington.

I was looking for a "1 touch start system" . 1 touch systems are the kind that you touch/press the button 1 time and the system turns over the motor until the it fires. You don't have to keep holding down the button. The systems where you keep holding the button down are reffed to as "Push to Start"

The difference is a Tachometer sensing logic in the brain of the system. As soon as the brain scenes a tac signal it turns off the "Starter"

My Bennington has a annoying pre programed start delay that makes you hold the key in the start position while the motor turns over for like what seem 4 seconds of so.

Has anyone played or installed a aftermarket keypad or push to start system in their boat.

BTW the Key-less ignition on my 13 year old Nautique is the bomb! not a lick of problems in all these years. I wish they had a Aftermarket system like my factory Nautique keyless system.

Thanks
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-16-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
Have never installed one, but I love the push button start in the car, so I understand wanting to have it. This looks like a pretty good system. Not specifically for marine, but would probably work. I am sure you can come up with a way to gt around pressing the brake before it starts...

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104B.html
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-17-2015, 4:22 PM Reply   
Adam; thanks for the link that Ak-104B looks like the ticket. 1 touch start along with Tac sence start. Along with Remote start. And for $350 that's about 1/2 the price of what I have found a system that will do 1 touch start.

I love the Remote start on my truck. It would be awesome to be able to fire up the boat with out having to get in it. That way you could start up and then start UN tieing your boat from the dock all while it's running.

Thanks again.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       01-19-2015, 9:10 AM Reply   
remote start would be sick grant, but my luck i would hit the button and blow the back hatch off the boat. lol
Old     (Snowleopard)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-20-2015, 8:16 PM Reply   
Grant wouldn't you only need the AK-PSB06, how does the extras of the other kit help you? Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't need the keyless entry features.

I'm guessing the Bennington uses a closed cooling system?

I knew a guy who had a X2 and had remote start installed. Showed up at the dealership to have some work done and the boat was running and smoking! I believe he started it using the remote when it was in his pocket. It did quiet a bit of damage. I don't think its worth the risk for the Wow factor. The only thing I can think of if you could hook up some kind of float as a precaution so it wouldn't start until it was put in water.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-21-2015, 8:07 AM Reply   
Snow: That god the Benningtion has this nifty All off switch on the dash. Its a Electronic Perko switch. I have developed the good habit of hitting that switch when ever I leave the boat. The Bennington has like 20 different rocker switches and its so easy to forget to turn them all off so the "Master Off" switch is nice.

The remote start is something I'm looking forward to. I have made the mistake 1 time of taking all the ropes off and drifting away and jumping in the boat only to figure out I left the key inside the house. Whoop's!!!! With the remote start I can start on the dock with out having to get in the boat
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-21-2015, 11:31 AM Reply   
One thing for sure is the company's that makes these keyless products sure don't make it easy to get in contact with them!!! That's right no phone support at all.i was however able to get the company GaurdDog on the phone and they were awesome they were even offering to make you a custom unit. Down side is there 1 touch was $650
Old     (Snowleopard)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-23-2015, 6:59 PM Reply   
I know a guy who has installed the advance keys on a couple vehicles without any issues. But phone support is always nice and a must for me.

I'm still confused on the remote start but lots of things confuse me. Wouldn't you still have to enter the boat the turn the switch on? Then get out and get it ready? I guess it doesn't matter if it comes with it as a feature. What else have you done to that badboy?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
You would only have to be "in range" of the RFID for the remote start to work. You would not have to get in to the boat to wake the boat up. It would Sence the remote and the ignition would place it self in a ready to start mode. This system would be awesome for me but anyone with kids around I could see a system like this a accident waiting to happen. Of you could install some override switch that would disable the system untill u were in the boat and flipped hidden switch. I have only done minor mods to the Bennington. This year she is gonna get a system installed.along with a few extra batterys and some lights. Nothing crazy. I'm going to try and focus on a real effeciant system on this boat, the polor oppasate of what's in the other boat