Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
hey guys. I have a 2005 F-250 with almost 80K miles on it. I've never had any problems with it untill today. This morning I was towing a customers boat to work(Tige 20V like nothing to that truck) and as I started to go from the stop light it started to blow out a lot of black smoke. I mean a lot. For about 10 seconds. It did it twice but was fine once I got on the freeway. On my way home today it did the same thing but worse. the RPM's would only get up to about 1400 and only do maybe 10mph for probably 15-20 seconds and then the rpms would shoot to 3,000 and it would take off as it shot out a TON of black smoke. It did that the rest of the way home. I bought the extended 100k mile power train warranty with it. I had added on a exhaust system and a cold air intake system. Tomorrow morning before I take the truck in I'm going to reinstall the stock air intake system just because i could see them trying to get out of warrantying something because of it. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with the truck. The motor and tranny fluid look fine. my dad was thinking maybe the turbo. Thanks.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-07-2009, 10:26 PM Reply   
I think you will find out tomorrow and its a good thing you got that 100k extended wty

good idea to switch the intake back to stock first.

Don't tell the dealer too much just tell him you expect it to be covered and that you're glad you paid extra for the extra wty.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-08-2009, 3:46 AM Reply   
Blown injector. My 2004 F350 had 2 go bad at the 80K mark. Very common with the 6.0 PSD engine
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-08-2009, 5:03 AM Reply   
Ditto, sounds like you have an injector going down.

Also, when was the fuel filter last replaced?
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-08-2009, 5:35 AM Reply   
Injectors , my brother has gone through 3 sets and two turbos but ford thinks they dont have a problem with the 6.0l ha ha. After ford doing a lot of looking they found out that part of his was caused by the paint on the inside of the fuel tank coming off . Also with the new low sulfur diesel you have to start running addative in your fuel if your not already/

Sorry I hope your truck is something minor though nothing worse than your truck being broken down
Old    walt            01-08-2009, 5:44 AM Reply   
I know there's a recall on the 05 injectors. Good luck with it !
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-08-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
Sweet info! My truck (05 F-250) occasionally does the same thing when pulling our boat... BUT, I was told it was the EGR valve (there was no certainty about that). I'm sure you'll get it fixed before too long, but beware... I've noticed a 3-4 mpg drop. I rarely drive my SuperBeauty anymore... So I haven't taken it in to get it fixed. Let me know what happens!

Good call on removing the intake... You probably saved yourself a lot of hassle. Word around my area (Fort Worth) is warranty work is hard to come by these days. I guess they really are hurting for $.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-08-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
Are you running a programmer?
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       01-08-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Ryan Sounds like the turbo is not spooling up so that means its vanes are restricted. its very common on the 6.0. its easy to clean the egr and turbo both the hard part is getting the exhaust to seal on the turbo. the rear bolt on the turbo looks difficult but it can be reached by a wrench. if you have chipped the engine or modified it any way including a K@N filter you will be told your warrant is void. When we go to get into your p.c.m. it will tell us if its chipped, Things have got so tight with Ford they will use any excuse to save money if you need help contact me Joe
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       01-08-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
The 6.0 is a great engine for torque the problem is the way they are driven. people buy them and drive them as a daily driver. they are a towing rig if you drive it. very hard all the time. the turbo and e.g.r. won't carbon up. of coarse its mechanical so you still have thing's wear out.Emissions are getting tougher every year,thats why you have a e.g.r. on a diesel That's way that great cummins went away in the dodge, a proven and reliable engine it could not pass emission's. Joe
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-08-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
If you do not have a VERY good relationship with your dealer then remove ALL of the aftermarket enhancers before going in. Your engine should have 100k warranty standard with 100$ ded.

I too think it is stuck vanes in the turbo usually once an injector goes down it stays stuck espically at low rpms which would cause a rough idle or miss.

Joe Cummins 6.7l is a bored 5.9l the displacement was increased to make up for the torq lost from DPF and required regen cycles. Much of the engine is the same as a 5.9l. Also its current problems all relate to DPF or new emissions( even 6.7l turbo nozzles stick from left over soot)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-08-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
There is no loud popping that sounds like something is wrong with exhaust?

is it gas?
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       01-08-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
I am a Emission tech In Nevada and you are wrong about the dealer When you reprogram the pcm it blows those injector right out so they don't spray a pattern anymore . Ever time I try to help someone on this page someone always knows more than me and I do it every day that's why I never respond to anything . I can walk up to any 6.0 and tell you it's been chipped I don"t care my ford is reprogramed right now. ford cares they even can request the pcm to check. once they find out they flag your warranty for ever
everything must have an osais run on it now.and prior approvable and if not the dealership don't get paid and you don't have a job anymore. I will not responed to any more postings and second the turbo vanes cause all kind of syptoms. good Luck Joe
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       01-08-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
The dealer has nothing to do with warranty anymore unless your relationship means they will pay out of their pocket. everything is returned to ford before a credit is issues. every"o" ring ect. their is a chain of handling ever thing. Joe
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-08-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
I am a little confused by your post Joe. Sorry if I came off as knowing more than you do. Fact is I have been lead diesel tech and the warranty adminstrater at my dealer for 11 years. After probably flashing 100s maybe even thousands of pcms I have never seen a flash damage a injector on any make model or engine it does not even seem possible to me.

The dealer has everything to do with your warranty. If I choose to warranty something and ford rejects the claim WE the dealer are not paid. This happens long after the customer is allready gone. Several times a good service customer with a "grey area problem" has gotten warranty when they should not have from my dealer and others. Just 1 week ago I sent a customer that had water in the fuel and needed several injectors away his truck was warranied 12 miles down the road.

I want to hit on this again so hopefully no one is afraid to flash or reprogram thier pcms with ford approved software. The flash can not affect the "spray pattern" of the injector and will not cause damage to it.
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       01-08-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
We are a private owned Dealership. I didnot say a reflash of any kind can effect the injectors Have you looked at the pattern of the injector after it had a six gun programer used on it. second the dealership can't replace anything without a OASIS RUN ON THE VIN. AND A AUTHORIZATION FROM FORD. IF YOU DO THEY WILL KICK BACK THE CLAIM . I don't know if its different when its a ford owned dealership. I don't know if we been in trouble in the past or not I have been away from the dealership for one year and two months due to going to work for Ultimate Water sports and them closing Joe
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       01-08-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
I am talking about after market reprogrammers such as Six Gun Bull Dog ect.not Ford reflashes I was responding to after market that Voids the warranty You Can't even have a K@N filter in the pick up when it comes in. that Voids the warranty Joe
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
i took the truck in today and i'm guessing i'll get a call tomorrow with whats going on with it. a mechanic was walking buy as i was unloading it off the trailer and said he thinks it could be the egr cooler. i put the stock air intake back on so thats taken care of but left the exhause on. i had to cut the old exhaust off so theres no putting that back on. my dads good friend ownes the ford dealership we go to so maybe he'll be able to get it warrantied if ford questions it. and no the truck has no programmer on it. i was one click away from ordering it about a month ago and sure am glad i didn't now. i'll keep you all updated.
Old     (99_air_warrior)      Join Date: May 2008       01-08-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
Ryan they have a problem with egr coolers but they blow white smoke when they leak, not black , black is fuel, white is antifreeze. I have replace alot of coolers I thought they fixed that problem on the 05 on the early one's they had so many problems. Joe
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
EGR cooler. My 05 just got a new one at 91000. I personally know 3 people who have had the same problem. $1995 repair bill that I paid the 100 deduct 2x. It cost me 3 trips to dealer because they did not replace it the first time. Its obviously a big problem because the tech had a 14 page proceedure to follow. Includes acid flush of cooling system. It took a week in the shop on the final trip.
GoodLuck
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-08-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
For the guys who know about warranty work... I have a Banks exhaust on my truck without the cat... Do you think they'll give me any grief about that? I do have the cat, but they cut off the flange that bolts it to the kit... I could have it put back on, but it'd be costly... Any info/advice?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-08-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
Also, I did momentarily run a Superchip programmer (not a chip)... Will that show up? I uploaded the program, took it for a test drive (didn't like it) and reprogrammed it back to stock... Anything I should be aware of?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
Some programmers leave a foot print and some don't so it's tough to say but if it does leave one then they'll know when it was programmed and changed back. Keep in mind guys mods don't automatically void your warranty but if the problem that occurs is due to a mod that is where the issue of whether or not it will be covered comes into play. Obviously the best thing to do is not make mods on trucks that really don't need em.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-08-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
Ryan - 9 times out of 10 the dealer will tell you it is the EGR - replace it and give you your truck back, the issue with this is that the turbo needs to be updated as well (just went through this). We run a programmer, module, exhaust, and intake and there wasn't any issuse - naturally everything was put back to stock except for exhaust before it went into the dealership - Good Luck
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-08-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
I used a Superchips programmer on mine and actually used the diagnostic feature of the programmer to diagnose the problem before I ever got to the dealership for a warranty claim. I had 2 blown injectors and both were replaced at different times without any hassle or discussion of the use of the programmer voiding my warranty. This was 2 years ago and certainly a lot has changed since then. The dealership I went to both times was Texan Ford in Arlington, TX.

I have also had my new truck in with a K&N filter in it numerous times and have also had warranty work performed on it, no questions asked. Maybe I am lucky or the dealership that I go to is exceptional? Either way, Hopefully you don't get hosed by your dealership.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Joe- when I push the throttle it shoots out white smoke for about 10 seconds and only goes maybe 8 or 9 mph as my foot is all the way down. after the 10 seconds it shoots off and then the black smoke comes out along with a little white smoke. i'm guessing that the Throttle Position Sensor is telling the injectors to get it the fuel for full throttle but the trucks low rpms wont burn it off so when the truck does pick up speed it then burns it off which is whats causing the black smoke. i also noticed that 3 weeks ago when i did a oil and filter change and also the 2 fuel filters. i saw that the radiator resivor was low so i filled it to the full line. we took a trip to the Mojavi desert which i towed my toy hauler there loaded with gear(about 12,ooolbs) and today when i was switching the air intake the resivore was almost completly dry. Thanks for all your info.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-08-2009, 11:14 PM Reply   
6.0l= P.O.S. . Would not own one unless you have a 7.3,or a gasser to drive while the 6.0 is getting fixed. Just wait untill these are out of warranty. Might be paying 2-3K in repairs every couple of weeks for different failures that are all common. Turbo's, injector's, egr failures, ficm's, oh! oh! just wait untill the oil cooler fails and turns the coolant into mud that flows out the coolant bottle! Don't forget head gaskets and bed plate oil leaks also. I predict they will all be littering the wrecking yards and dealer service lots by 2012.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-09-2009, 1:33 AM Reply   
Ryan... Wouldn't the disappearing antifreeze, and white smoke, be a head gasket leak?

Bawshogg... You're killing me, man!
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-09-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
Blake It all depends on the dealer if they are in good standing with ford and need the work it
will get over looked if not well...

As far as I know all reprogramers or "chips" leave signs that they were there and to some extent you can tell how long ago. Some times service managers rely on the tech to tell them "this thing is chipped Its not warranty"
Keep in mind most techs are on a flat rate pay plan wich makes warranty 50-60% less for warranty work not all though. There has been so many probs with the six litre that there arn't many guys that want to work on them for long. Ford requires the tech complete all the diesel training before working on it too.

Ryans prob is sounding more like a head gasket or head issue the more info that comes along.

Joe, sorry again for the misunderstanding on the flash.
Just curious how are you seeing the spray pattern do you guys have some special tool that I don't know about? ford injectors take at least 500psi of oil pressure to actuate.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-09-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
I just bought my first diesel this year so excuse the ignorance, but am curious as to why everyone seems to put exhaust systems and chips into these trucks? I bought mine to tow (we drive it around town pretty regularly, but don't commute in it) and completely stock it feels like it could tow my house down the block. What is the appeal of "modding" these types of trucks? Are you guys drag racing them?

Mine is an 08 powerstroke and the dealer made it pretty clear that with all the new emission stuff on them that just about anything aftermarket would cause warranty issues.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-09-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
Right Stan, I am pretty sure you had to sign an agreement that said you would not modify the engine(if you purchased it new)and you also were required to maintain it properly. With the economic situation and u.s. automakers in the situation they are in, Ford is real reluctant to warranty anything that has been modified, Consumers need to take responsibility for the things THEY add on. Not The automakers.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-09-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
To answer the question as to why they are modded, Because. It is the american way, enough is never enough! Short mans complex, Over compensation for other parts that are lacking, all that stuff. You know what I mean.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-09-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
Stanfield, If you look at the stock exhaust, there seems to be a lot of kinks and wrinkles in them which can restrict exhaust flow. An aftermarket exhaust is mendral bent (less kinks), allows exhaust to flow more freely, plus it helps to keep the egts down when towing.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-09-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
I have the 2006 F250 6.o
I haven't had any problems with it, but I haven't even reached 50,000 miles yet.

Is there anything that I can do now to prevent these problems that you guys are talking about? (besides selling it....I can hear that one coming)

something that I can insist the dealer do now that will prevent a costly repair bill?

thanks
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-09-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
Well cliff, not really. Make sure you keep up on maintenence and change the fuel filters regularly. Other than that , if you are religous, pray alot? My advise would be, definetly don't modify it, no programmers, chips, intakes ext. All modifications come with a trade off factor. In most cases on the 6.0 is is reliabilty and thickness of your wallet.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-09-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Cliff,
Take care of it... And (I think) you'll be fine... It's a good truck, you're hearing A LOT of opinions... And you know what they say about opinions!

My 05 has 93k miles and has never been taken in for any warranty work... Which could change, but 93k miles? I don't think that's too bad.

I know plenty of people who drive the 6.0l without any complaints. I also know plenty of people who make all kinds of modifications who do, and don't, have problems with their 6.0l... Most of them who have problems can't keep their foot off the floorboard. Get my point?
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-09-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Mine is not an opinion. It is reality in my area. We have a pile of them out front as proof. Want pics? That has nothing to do with my a**hole. Just what we see on a daily basis. And I am sure there are many more in the country just like us.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-09-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
Post pics of people taking their trucks in for warranty work/repair? What would that prove... I could post pics of ALL diesels being towed in for warranty work... This does not apply to Ford 6.0l's only. Maybe YOU have a pile of them as proof, but I'm sure the same could be said for the other diesels, too.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-09-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
man im glad i have the 7.3
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-09-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
I will say this: In the last ten years, I've had two 7.3 PS's, 2 6.0 PS's, and a 5.9 Cummins. 2 of those trucks left me stranded on the side of the road at least once, and the other three never did.

Guess which two left me thumbing a ride.....yep, the 6.0's.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-09-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
That being said....If I were to buy a new diesel today, it would be a Duramax. Don't trust the new Fords, the Cummins 6.7 is too new to have a track record yet, and the Allison trans behind the DuMax is widely regarded as the best of the lot.
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-09-2009, 9:13 PM Reply   
I have a 03 6.0 w/ 82,000 miles chipped, exhaust, and aftermarket intake. I have never had a problem with the engine (knock on wood) now for the tranny thats a different story. My bro has a duramax and it was in the shop at 80,000 miles with injector problems. You just never know now do ya
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-10-2009, 5:00 AM Reply   
any car should make 100K i have 215 on the 7.3 never seen the inside of a shop. it is chipped and exhausted.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-10-2009, 10:54 PM Reply   
I HAD A 05 AND A 06 F-250. FORD BOUGHT THEM BOTH BACK WITH UNDER 25,000 MILES ON THEM. THEY HAVE A BAD HEAD GASKET PROBLEM. AND THE TURBO'S ARE ALSO A BIG PROBLEM. I WOULD NOT OWN A 6.0. I NOW HAVE AN 03 WITH THE OLD 7.3 AND NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-13-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
gotta love the 7.3, such a greatt engine. my grandpa has a 2000 f 250 with the 7.3 ad has never had one problem with it ever.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-13-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
Well here's some pics that I said I post as proof these things suck. One is of an 04 exscursion with 90k on the clock. It looks like a whole flock of geese somehow sh*t in the radiator and it some how made it's way out the reservoir and hoses. It really popped the oil cooler and fille dthe cooling system with sludge.Only a $15k bill out of warranty. Next is the pile of head gaskets from last week, only three sets at 3-4k each. No big deal huh. I guess they arn't really that bad... They keep 4 full time deisel techs burried up to the eyeballs in crap to fix. What does that have to do with my opinion?

Upload
Upload
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-13-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
Having been both a tech and an advisor for Ford and now an advisor for Dodge. I can say that both engines still need work. The 6.0's, you either get a bad one or a good one, most of the time, its a bad one. Everybody jumped the gun to meet the new EPA emissions standards for '10. The 6.7 cummins, I see customers that go 100 miles sometimes at most before the DPF and turbo's are coated in soot and they need new sensors and a turbo cleaning and the truck is back at the shop in less than 2 days. While at the same time, I have customers with brand new 08's that are haulers and have had little to no problems. I heard it out of the mouth of a Chrysler engineer, the 6.7 needs to be driven like its stolen to prevent alot of the premature buildup issues. Its mostly the guys that just drive a diesel to say they drive one that we see most often. Yet still, you could have two trucks with the exact same setup doing the exact same thing and one will run like a top and the other will spend more time in the shop than on the road. DC simply has not been able to pinpoint the cause of the 6.7's. they are getting closer with some of the upgrades, but not yet. And the 6.7 is extremely more computer controlled and operated than the 5.9's ever were. If you want a dodge diesel, IMO buy a used 5.9 thats been taken care and you'll be alot better off. Its hit or miss on the Ford 6.0's too.

And yes, if you chip these, or alter the computer in any way and bring it for warranty work, 99% of the time, the tech will catch it and it will void out your warranty. I know some guys that clear their codes and remove programs and set but to stock, but I've also seen some not work and warranties get voided.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
Update on my truck. I just got it back today. It needed a new EGR cooler and EGR valve. They said there was also a leaking valve for the heating system that they replaces. they only charged me for the part on the leaking valve, no labor. the bill ended up being 132.65 after the cost of the valve and the deductable for the warranty. I think i'm going to buy the 200K warranty just so i know i'll be safe for another couple years.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-16-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
Oh waaaaaaa. All the dealer guys are crying about the 6.0's, but the reality is that all vehicles have their problems. There are weeks when I could stack common failure BMW parts to the roof. Heck, we can usually diagnose a car before it even gets off the tow trucks. These motors obviously have their share of problems, but get over it.

We've got two '06s and one spends its life towing. It had the leaking valley plate, but so far the rest of the two trucks have been flawless. Mine has 36k and hasn't been back to the dealer since the day it left. We'll see what happens.

If you want to keep a diesel happy there are a few things to remember:

-if you tow heavy, then stay away from programmers and consider opening the exhaust to keep the EGT's down
-warm the motor up before beating on it and cool the motor off before you shut it down.
-change the oil and fuel filters regularly.
-Stay away from K&N filters. They're nasty for turbos.
-If you want to run your truck hard and treat it like a race car be kind to it. Sustaining max boost for long periods and with restricted exhaust will lead to head gasket and turbo problems in short order.
-don't take short trips where the truck doesn't warm up. These aren't grocery getters. If you don't see full engine temp regularly you'll end up with EGR and Turbo problems.
-Last.... Run these motors. They're meant to see boost and they need to get to full temp. Don't be afraid to hit full throttle every time you drive it.

We'll see how long mine last without problems. Until then, I'm tired of listening to the nay-sayers.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-16-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
Ryan - watch for any more smoke - I just went through this on mine and they did the same thing and two weeks later it was back in getting the updated turbo. They do the EGR first in hopes that it will cure the problem, but 99% of the time they are just delaying the inevitable TURBO TIME.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-16-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
Ryan,
That's good news, but I agree with TQ... Keep an eye on it. What was the cost of the extended warranty?

Evan,
Good post... Agreed!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-16-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
I agree with what Evan says completely and will add that you should not idle them all that long either. Common misconception and you will goo up your EGR in no time.

Also got it straight from the Tech's mouth that the additives are a good thing. At least every other tank.

My 06 has 18k miles on it. It's my road trip machine and boat puller. I don't run it around town unless I need it. Even then I try to run it until it's warm and do what Evan says, stomp it and let the turbo get hot for a little bit. Let it idle a bit before shut down if it was driven hard.

Will I have trouble down the road?? Probably, I have never owned a vehicle that didn't. But I do think the tranny and engine will last forever in this thing.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
Blake- I think the extended warranty was around 2 grand for the 100K. If i want to extend it to 200K they said it would be about another 2 grand. I'll watch for that smoke too. I have to drive up to Stockton(2 hours away) for a Honda outboard training class so hopefully it doesn't go out on me during that trip.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-17-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
$2k for the 100k mile warranty? Did you not have a 100k mile power-train warranty from the factory?

Man, I hope I'm misundertanding!!!
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-17-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
my truck only had the 3 year 36K warranty for the power train. before the 36k was up we paid the 2 grand for the extended 100K power train and i'll be paying another 2 grand for the 200K power trian.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-17-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
I have 49,000 miles on mine. Is it to late to add the extended warranty?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-17-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
My understanding is you have to buy the extended before the original expires.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-18-2009, 1:38 AM Reply   
Am I wrong to think my truck has the 100k mile power-train warranty (without having to pay for it)?

I was under the impression that they came from the factory with the 100k mile power-train warranty... Anyone know?
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-18-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
My 2004 came with the 100K powertrain warranty for the diesel engine and transmission for no extra charge. everything else was 3year/36K.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       01-18-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
Yeah, I think that's the case with my truck, too... A little research cleared it up. But, Thanks for the info!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-18-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
I got on the Ford warranty site

filled out the questions about year and mileage

http://www.myfordwarranty.com/?gclid=CICejJ-1mJgCFSMSagodjCXQmg

it came back with....not eligible for the extended warranty if over 36,000 miles

the questions didn't include my vin or personal info

I do have a warranty up to 75,000 miles through MPP

I guess Monday I will call Ford and get the low down on my specific truck
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-18-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
It's funny to me how some people just never get it. Ya, all us dealer guys are whinning. That's it. Man you are smart as a whip.
Had you any clue , you would know we make money in the service department by fixing sh*t. The more they break ,the more we make, no matter who is paying for it. You, Ford, or your aftermarket warranty. Makes no difference.
The reason why we have our opinions on the 6.0, is because we have to deal with the frustrations of the customers first hand. When you have had a 6.0 with multiple high dollar failures, never the less, all the hassles it poses for people that use the vehicles for recreation,or buisness.
I have plenty of expierience in the automotive field, and I will tell you, along with the dealer reps, and Ford themselves that this motor has been a bomb when compared to the previous "POWERSTROKE" .
Why is Ford ending they're relationship with Navistar in the next few years? Bulding they're own diesel. Why has ford had multiple laws suits against navistar? Becuase the 6.0 is a great engine?
Answer those questions. Choose to believe what you will, Just becuase there happens to be a few out there with out a problem,does not mean that they are great, I mean, f*ck I have even laid a few turds that didn't stink in my lifetime.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-03-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
BUY A 02 7.3 haha thats what i had to do my 06 sucked ass
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
man im glad i got my 2003 f250 with the 7.3 superduty diesel.I got a lot of feed back when looking for new trucks and decided i wanted a diesel and a ford and was warned about he issues being discussed here.I bought this truck with 90k on it and have put 40k in two years on it mostly working but also a daily driver ,no engine or tranny issues at all and i drive it like a stole it :-)
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-03-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
I learned that I can get the extended.... up to 200,000 mile warranty on my truck

but it's good till 200,000 miles or end of 2013 which ever comes first

my problem is, I can't put anywhere near that many miles on it in the next 5 years

unless I completely stop driving my fuel efficient
1973 MGB GT
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-04-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
Bawshogg... We're both just too young to remember when cars were really crap. These things are gems compared to what was around 20-30 years ago. Peoples expectations are soo high these days it's amazing.

We work on cars that'd blow your mind. Our Audi's have an average repair bill of over $1300. That's average. That means every $100 oil change is offset by a $2k plus bill. But people drive their cars into the ground and wonder why they have problems at 60k. It is what it is.

For every horror story on the 6.0's I've seen success stories. Like I said, I think a lot of it is peoples expectations, and a lot of it is people that don't treat their vehicles right. The last part of the equation is a motor that was underbuilt from the factory and had a lot of technical innovations. Personally I'll take the technology of the 6.0 over a 7.3 anyday.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-04-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
So what are the thoughts on the new 6.4? My 08 has only been recalled 3 times in 10k miles.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-04-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
The power fold/extend mirrors on the 08's are sweet!
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-04-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
HAHAHAHAHA my brothers 6.4 is runnin good but only 1 recall so far, i love they way they look and the interior is amazing.... NICE TRUCK
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-04-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
I like them bastards, they do look good... But I can't afford one .
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-04-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
I think they'll get the problems worked through. First year of a new motor always have some issues. I also think they rushed it to market a bit to get over the stigma left behind by the 6.0

I think the biggest downer for the 6.4 is the less than impressive fuel mileage.

I suppose only time will tell how they hold up.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-04-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
we have a problem with alot of the trucks drinkin alot of antifreeze on the slope. Several trucks in our fleet have this problem now. Heres a vid clip of the norh slope and fords. I know some of these guys in the clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwYbetD6lEc&feature=PlayList&p=1872924E7E5 CA262&playnext=1&index=9