Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (solokiter)      Join Date: Oct 2014       12-08-2014, 8:45 PM Reply   
Hi All

I am looking for some advice, on the best wiring method for the equipment as shown. I hope that it is clear enough for you to understand, and this is how I have it currently running.

At first I was going to just run two speakers and a sub, then I realised it was not enough. Since then, I've purchased the extra two speakers and also now the 4x tower speakers, and will mount and connect those tonight. So far, I'm reasonably happy with the performance, but now I'm looking for some options on how to tweak for better performance/power etc.. I'd like to be able to at least hear the music when I am riding. I'm sure some audio guru here will tell me I've wired this wrong and could get better performance some other way.

Currently I have 4 x Polk MM651s, all running separately in parallel to the front channel of XS4600. Then, I have the sub running bridged over the single rear channel.

After that, I have these 4 tower speakers (brand unknown, as they came in the pods) and would like to run them from the XS4300. There are only two wires running up the tower (one wire will run 2 speakers - not ideal but I can change it if needed), so I will simply bridge each wire over the front & rear channels respectively and I presume this will supply 75w RMS to each speaker. The speakers are only 60w RMS.

Thanks in advance for all replies and advice,

Wiring Diagram:

Phoenix Gold specs:

Last edited by solokiter; 12-08-2014 at 8:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2014, 5:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'd like to be able to at least hear the music when I am riding
As in riding in the boat?

You would need to wire the left pair tower speakers in series for an 8 ohm load and then you can bridge. Same with the right tower speakers. This gets you the same 4 ohm output as if you wired one speaker per chnl. 12W @ 12.5V and 35W @ 14.5V.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       12-09-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
Your never gonna hear that 65'-75' back
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       12-09-2014, 10:30 AM Reply   
If you're willing to spend just a smidge more, here is what I would do (as I did something quite similar on my boat).

Take the generic tower speakers and keep the enclosures and swap in the Kicker HLCD 6500.2 drivers. you'll be able to hear those at wakeboard length.

They can be found for just over a couple hundred:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kicker-10KM6...272f6b&vxp=mtr

You'll probably have to take off the crossover module from the horn and mount it on the side of the driver because it requires too much depth for most cans. But that wasn't too hard.

It's possible that since you have an I/O that you're quiet enough to hear speakers better than some of us, but not sure on that. We know you can't surf behind that, so since wakeboarding is obviously your thing, I really recommend the HLCD speakers. To really maximize your system though you might have to add one more amp for the sub. Then run the more powerful amp to the towers and the less powerful amp to the cabin speakers. If you added a sub amp (~$100) and the HLCD drivers ($215) you'd be in really good shape. Oh, and get a EQ/Zone controller like a Wetsounds 420SQ or an Exile ZLD mk2 so you can fade your towers separate from your cabins and sub. makes a HUGE difference.

Oh, and "cute" drawing. Almost distracted me enough that I didn't notice you're in a Bayliner! (hahaha, I kid, I kid!!!)
Old     (solokiter)      Join Date: Oct 2014       12-09-2014, 12:39 PM Reply   
thanks all -

chpthril - yes, whilst riding behind the boat at full length - thanks for the tip - so there will be less power if it is not wired like this?

Redheadd - yeah I know, but i'm gonna try everything else first before I upgrade!!

trayson - thanks man, I am considering upgrades for the cans. I got those cans real cheap, so I'm happy to upgrade the speakers in them. Only problem is being in Australia, finding those Kickers is difficult. I can get Polk speakers fairly easily (MM's), but everything else (wet sounds, kicker, JL, etc) are super expensive and usually dont sell separately. For instance, those Kickers you mentioned I cannot find here for less than $500 AUD and they ship from California....
Oh yea, I thought I could distract away from the Bayliner!! Well, If I had a Malibu, i probably wouldnt have this problem!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2014, 12:52 PM Reply   
Sam,

You cannot wire your two pair of of tower speakers in parallel and bridge them. So the power output is what it is with the current amp. A pair of speakers wired in parallel on a single chnl is 75W @ 14.5V, so thats divided by the 2 speakers, with a net of 37W each. Same same. You would need a TON more wattage then those speakers will likely handle, in order to get reasonable music to wake range. A HLCD is the best way to go. Even then, your amps 150W x 2 is right at the minimum of good power for a pair of HLCDs.
Old     (solokiter)      Join Date: Oct 2014       12-09-2014, 6:19 PM Reply   
Hey Tigemike,

Thanks - so if I were to wire these tower speakers in series, then bridge them at the amp, that would NOT give me 75w x 4? (because it is still a 4ohm load despite being wired in series).

So you saying it does not matter how I wire them, as it will always be a 4ohm load regardless and only produce the 35w x 4?

Last edited by solokiter; 12-09-2014 at 6:27 PM.
Old     (solokiter)      Join Date: Oct 2014       12-09-2014, 6:34 PM Reply   
So to clarify:

tower speakers wired in series = 8ohm load, bridged, so needs more power for the same wattage anyway,

OR - wired in parallel = 2ohm load, but can only be wired in stereo so draws the same power as bridged wiring anyway?

So you saying it does not matter how I wire them, as the power drawn will always be the same(only produce the 35w x 4)?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2014, 6:38 PM Reply   
75 x 4 would be with a 2 ohm load per chnl. series/bridged with two 4 ohm speakers would = 8 ohm bridged load, or in other words, 4 ohm per chnl

Less impedance (smaller number) can = more amp output. But when wired in series, impedance goes up (higher number), so power goes down.

Yes, it does matter how you wire it. That amp will not handle a parallel/bridged 2 ohm load. With 4 tower speakers and a 4 chnl amp, you have 2 wiring options. Series/bridge or one speaker per chnl. either way, the power output is the same.
Old     (solokiter)      Join Date: Oct 2014       12-17-2014, 8:04 PM Reply   
Hey All

just thought i'd drop in and let you know how it went.

Overall the system sounds a lot louder and cleaner in the cabin when underway. Now, I can hear the music even when I am standing up with the wind in my face.

Now for the tower speakers, at first I couldnt hear them at all when I was riding behind the boat. Then I did some tweaks to the amp, and had my driver crank the system - I can just hear them now when I'm riding. I think with some more tweaks to the EQ, they may be able to be heard when riding. But they are certainly not "quality" riding volume. I'm sure the HLCD would make the difference.

thanks