Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (davesetter)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-09-2016, 12:34 PM Reply   
Anyone ridden this board. Riding a Phase 5 Daniello Diamond now but having trouble with skim tricks. Digging an edge about 3/4" of the way through a surface 360 and going out the front. Just wondering if the board is the problem. I haven't found any info on their website about the rail shape. Can anyone give me some input?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2016, 12:49 PM Reply   
The Phase 5 Diamond is an amazing shape and is designed for every kind of skim trick. A doomswell skim would be step down in performance because it's going to have a softer and thicker core. Advanced skim tricks are much easier on boards by skim companies like Phase 5, Victoria, and Exile because the shape, materials, and construction they use. Save your money and stick with the Diamond

360s are tough to learn and just take a lot of attempts. Once you figure it out, it will just click. Watch video of yourself to see what your doing wrong. A lot of the time it is an issue of weight in the wrong place during a certain point of the maneuver.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-09-2016, 12:52 PM Reply   
call 409 692 6363

Talk to Brock

Ive only rode the skim once. Fun board. Im not a skim style guy so my review is limited. I was able to spin 3s and 7s though. Doomswell makes a great product. Call Brock he will tell you all you need to know
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-10-2016, 6:51 AM Reply   
Second what Micah said. I have never ridden the skim model but own everything else they make. Great boards and Brock's a great guy to work with. They've done two sick customs for me too. They'd get my vote any day of the week. Come May I will be able to tell you if I like the skim, just not till our lake unfreezes!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2016, 10:25 AM Reply   
Mitch is right. I like Brock, but that is a skim board for people that do not skim board. It is not a performance oriented board, that is not what doomswell does. They make easy to ride boards for the average masses. That type of skimmy board will flex way too much, which is fine depending on your style of riding, but if you are really trying to advance your skim riding, it is a step back.

That does not mean that your P5 isn't messed up. There could be a flaw either factory or over time that happened that is leading to you digging a rail. That is certainly possibly. The board could be warped, it happens. Maybe it is the wrong size for you. There are always lots of possibilities. However, if you are digging a rail pretty much all the time and stalling the board out, my experience will lead me to looking at your body positioning during the rotation.

Nick
Old     (nohlan_4)      Join Date: Feb 2016       03-10-2016, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesetter View Post
Anyone ridden this board. Riding a Phase 5 Daniello Diamond now but having trouble with skim tricks. Digging an edge about 3/4" of the way through a surface 360 and going out the front. Just wondering if the board is the problem. I haven't found any info on their website about the rail shape. Can anyone give me some input?
Yup its body position not the board. You have one of the best skim boards out there IMO. Just keep cracking at the 360 and you will get it. Remember to look over your shoulder in the direction of the spin and it'll help you follow through. I find the hardest part about 360's is stopping the rotation without over rotating.