Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       11-20-2014, 1:37 PM Reply   
We bought our first boat in January of this year, it also happened to be our first Sanger. I ended up pulling the trigger on a 1993 Sanger DXII. The primary use for the boat is as a wake surfing boat. Not the ideal boat as space and the low profile make it tricky to weight down and still be useable and comfortable.

After playing around all summer with various weight setups this is the final setup.

Ballast:

1 x 900 lbs Straight Line Sumo Sac
1 x 450 lbs Straight Line Sumo Sac
2 x 350 lbs Straight Line Big Bag
10 x 12.5 lbs plates

Motor/Transmission:

350ci Mercruiser Tournament Ski (No Modifications)
Direct Drive 1:1 Velvet Drive

Prop:

Acme 1229 13"x11”

Setup:

We place the 900 lbs sac where the back seat would normally reside, back seat is removed and left in the garage. The two 350 lbs sacs get stacked on top of each other on either side of the motor box. The 450 lbs sac goes under the bow between the first and the second bulkheads. I also made a custom mount/box for our 2 - 10” subs that is tucked way up at the front of the bow. The 12.5 lbs end up with 6 beside the gas tank on the port side and 4 behind the lift up passenger seat placed as far as possible over to the left. The boat throws a much better wave to the starboard side of the boat because there is less spray on that side. This is why all the plates are placed to favor the port side. If I could get another 100+lbs under the bow it would reduce the spray on the starboard side, I think. But it isn’t critical as either side is VERY surfable. We have even had both sides surfing at once with the 350lbs bags distributed on either side of the motor house, no ropes all day long.

The boat does sit pretty low in the water once ballasted out. It's slammed, but it's slammed without ballast. Both when sitting and underway the rub rail on the surf side is at the water level. Taking on water was not an issue at all this year. We were patient when picking up fallen riders to let the waves roll by so that you don’t take on water. Or if we turned out in front of the waves, made sure that we were on the throttle enough to keep the nose of the boat high. Coming off the throttle also required the throttle to be lifted slowly otherwise water would end up coming over the back of the boat. We were expecting a lot of this when I chose the boat so when it came to drive the boat I was prepared.

I will be making wooden boxes over the winter to house the bags so the people can climb over them more easily than climbing over the bags.

Pictures of the results are attached.

YMMV.
Attached Images

Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-16-2015, 10:25 AM Reply   
Just a little update.

My local dealer for all things water related was switching from Straight line bags to fly high bags so I got a SMOKIN’ deal on a twin 350lbs set of Straight line “big bags”

So I stuffed one of the 350’s where I installed a hatch in the floor to hide some ballast. It can hold ~250 lbs.

I now have:

1- 900 lbs fat sac
1- 450 lbs fat sac
4 - 350 lbs fat sacs
10 - 12.5 lbs weights

So I have a total of 2875 lbs of total ballast that we can use. Realistically it is more like ~2800.

Pic of the new wake below. I am now working on a "ghetto gate" to improve the Port side wake. The starboard side is greatly improved compared to last years wake. The port side is washy due to prop rotation. My hope is that the gate will improve the wake quality on the port side since that is the side I ride on.

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2015, 12:23 PM Reply   
damn thats a lot of weight in that boat!! looks like a decent wave though!
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-16-2015, 12:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comment.

It is quite a bit of weight but; I had to repair a stringer in the springtime, so the floor and rotted out (completely rotted) stringer was replaced, the other stringers were all strangely in great condition with no signs of water infiltration or rotting. Even with the extra weight we are running this year, the boat sits higher out of the water. I believe that is due to the hull flexing less.

We generally run a small crew, 4-6 people due to space limitations as the boat is basically one large fat sac. I have some boxes that I am working on, just need to carpet them, that the 350 ballast bags will fit into on either side of the motor box. should make getting around the boat a bit easier since we will have more hard surfaces to step on.
Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-29-2015, 9:17 AM Reply   
Do you have pictures of your surf gate? How you have it attached to the platform also?
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-29-2015, 10:24 AM Reply   
I am still working on the mounting and then I want to test it as I am using quick release(s) and lift off hinges, so I want to make sure that the gate does not lift off before I advise others that my design is good.

My gate dimensions are 15" long and ~12 inches tall. I used a dilapidated teak couch to make the gate and was limited to how big I could make it. (I wanted the gate to be teak).

For now, this is what I am thinking.......

I have a rod made up that will attach directly to the swim platform and the gate. I will post more photo's tonight. The hinges are through hulled with stainless steel hardware and sealed with epoxy. I wanted the gate to be quickly removable and not have a the need for a bunch of extra straps and stuff. I also wanted the gate to take as little space as possible when not in use.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-29-2015, 9:29 PM Reply   
Pics of the mounting, appologies for the night picture, but the sun is setting early and I was still working on this until a few minutes ago.

In regards to the lift off issue if it is indeed one, I will use a set screw in the hinge to fix it.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-30-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
Lmao!!! You're bat **** crazy!
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-30-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Lmao!!! You're bat **** crazy!
Lol, why do you say that?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-30-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
Your gonna sink that thing. I wouldn't even put that much in my v210. And I'm not scared.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-30-2015, 12:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Your gonna sink that thing. I wouldn't even put that much in my v210. And I'm not scared.
Maybe. It is a calculated risk though. **** can and will happen regardless of any preperations made.... there is a fine line between genius and madness and I don't mind tip-toeing it.

With that said, we've never come close to dunking the bow and never had the slightest amount of water over the rear yet either. We did test the weight in increments to make sure that we were comfortable on the water with that weight. We also adjust the weight for the conditions. I will also argue that no one is on the lake when it is windy besides fisherman.

The pictures are a little deceiving. From the rub rail on the DXII there is ~4" to the top of the cap. The waterline while underway is at the rub rail on surf side and significantly more free-board on the non surf side. When at rest there is ~2-3 inches more free board on both sides. This results in ~6-7" freeboard standing still, better than some v-drives I have seen that are weighted and listed.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-18-2016, 1:32 PM Reply   
I was able to get out on Saturday for 5 hours. I did test my surfgate fully weighted and did get out for a surf. No catastrophes, so it was a success.

The results are pretty spectacular (I think).

Without the gate:

You can see the streams of water leaving the back of the boat and converging at the same point behind the boat. The weight is biased towards the driver or starboard side of the boat making the wake cleaner, this was the side that we were surfing. Total ballast was ~2525 lbs plus my girl, me and gear. So ~2900 total weight. The wake was pretty tall, but not very long and was also very steep. Speed was ~10 mph +/-

With the gate:

Same ballast and speed as described above. You can clearly see that the convergence of the wakes has been altered. The starboard side wake folds over the port side (or looks like it anyway). The clean water on the wake goes a lot further out back and the pocket has been drastically increased.

A few other observations...

While the gate worked flawlessly, the engine rpm had to be increased from ~2100 rpm to ~2200 rpm to achieve the same speed. The increased RPM should increase fuel consumption, but haven't put enough fuel through to say yet or how much. The gate creates more drag through the water that must be overcome. Low speed handling is effected, there is a 15" long paddle to turn against now. Neither of these are really issues that I am concerned about, just differences I noticed.

The surfgate improved the surfing experience more than I could have imagined. I like it.

The conditions were about as good as you could ask for on Last Mountain Lake.